For The Love of Black Cats & All Other Halloween Critter

Discussion of general Halloween topics
Dutchess of Darkness
Halloween Master
What is the highest number?: 9

For The Love of Black Cats & All Other Halloween Critter

Post by Dutchess of Darkness » Tue Mar 27, 2007 8:39 pm

Hi Everyone, Is there anyone else out there that "Loves" Black Cats! I just idolize cats, especially black cats. I have three cats, my black cats name is Draven which means " Child of Beautiful Shadows" & "Defender of Love" he's my baby and my little spooky halloween cat. He's all black with gold eyes and is a total sweetie :) I am a huge advocate for black cats here where I live. I support black cat adoptions as they are the most disadvantaged when it comes to being adopted. I also volunteer my time Helping to educate people and challenging peoples negative myths & misconceptions about black cats, it's very rewarding :)
I am also a huge lover of bats, aren't they just oh so Halloweenish! And good for our environment & your halloween garden too. I have a bat house which can hold up to 75 small bats such as the brown fruit bat, they are easy to build or you can buy them at many garden centres. You can also purchase plants that attract them or the insects they eat. Having a nice size number of bats flying around your haunt on Halloween is so very cool.
Well, I look forward to hearing about what kind of Halloween Critters you share your life with.

deadbride
Master Reaper

Post by deadbride » Tue Mar 27, 2007 9:27 pm

Hey Dutchess. I am a huge black cat advocate. I had a black cat for over 8 years before he passed from a heart attack. Most black cats don't live that long. I had put my absolute heart and soul into Cocoa. He was thrown from a moving vehicle when he was only days old. My husband found him and brought him home to me. From day one he hated my husband. He slept between us with all 4 feet planted in my husbands back, nails out. Then one day about 5 years ago, he had a heart attack. I was devastated. It took me weeks to recover enough to even leave the house. After 5 years without my Cocoa my husband thought I would be able to handle another black cat. So a friend of his was getting rid a a little black kitten that his wife was going to have put to sleep just because it was black. I said no way. You can't put it to sleep just because it is black. So now I have Chyna Berry. She is a cute little sleek soft short hair black kitten. Only 3 little white hairs under her chin. She's frisky. I've put my heart into her. After her, if she dies or something happens to her, I don't think I can handle another black cat. My heart can't take another one. :cry: :oops:

They are part of our family. They are my familiars. I'm wiccan. I read alot of egyptian stuff and they dealt with cats. So a lot of what I believe comes from there. Hope that makes sense. :oops:

I also love spiders, bats, and snakes. I have a lot of jewelry with those things. :oops:
I may grow older, but I refuse to grow up.
I'm not weird, just normal challenged.

hauntmaster

Post by hauntmaster » Tue Mar 27, 2007 11:56 pm

I do love black cats!! 8) I have a neighbor who lives across the street from my home, she has black cat and that cat is definitely witch-type cat! :lol:

BTW, I do have some bats around here only during the night. They live in the spooky trees with some vines around them. My own backyard looks like a little spooky yard!

Dutchess of Darkness
Halloween Master

Post by Dutchess of Darkness » Wed Mar 28, 2007 1:13 am

Hi deadbride, Sorry to hear about Cocoa passing away from a heart attack. It sounds like he had the most wonderful 8 years though and felt and knew he was very well loved, so try and remember that. I think putting your heart & soul into Cocoa is the way it should be, after all they are our children. It makes me so furious :evil: when I hear about people being so cruel, such as a kitten being thrown out of a moving vehicle, and only days old. Hence the reason I am a hermit, spending most of my time with my cats, ug, I better not get started. That was so nice of your husband to pick the kitten up and bring him home to you. I totally understand your feeling devasted over your loss of Cocoa. I too lost one of my children, 1 year ago on March 18th "Bonkers" was her name believe it or not, well she pretty much picked it out for us :lol: It's a long story, but she passed away at age 6 from sudden respitory arrest, totally unexpected. to say I was devasted was an understatment. But to make a long story short, she's at home here in a gorgous Urn surrounded by things she loved in a memorial cabnet. Actaully, on her 1 year Anniversay, I planted a shrub in my garden that matched several qualities of her personality.
I think its important to remember though, that feeling the loss of a loved one means "we loved them" so its a good sign, and we don't have to ever forget them either, they can still remain apart of your life.
What a cruel woman, pardon me! but to want to put down a kitten because its black,ug :evil: All I can say is, Karma & she will get hers. I'm so happy you took her in, and her name "Chyna Berry" what a beautiful name, I love it! So she's a sleek short black haired girl, sounds adorable :) My black love Draven is long haired and his full name is "Draven Serenity Black-Velvet".
I hope, that with time, when that day should come, that another day will also come where another little bundle of black joy will tug at your heartstrings. Yes they are my familiars also and my children. I use to have 2 adorable ball pythons, thats cool that you love snakes too. Spiders I am terrified of, but I don't believe in killing them, and I think they are amazing & important critters but if they get in, I relocate them back outside.

Dutchess of Darkness
Halloween Master

Post by Dutchess of Darkness » Wed Mar 28, 2007 1:31 am

Hi hauntmaster, Nice to have another member of the Black Cat Fan Club :) they are special aren't they! The bats you have, do you know what type they are? I love to learn about as many species as I can. Your spooky backyard sounds cool :) I have tons of bats,mainly all around my front garden and they're not at all afriad to fly all around you when you're out there at night. they fly around catching all the insects around my garden, and I love to listen to them, they sound so beautiful. My neighbour that moved last fall, we actaully got along really well, but she always thought I was a little odd, especally that I would go out front and talk back to the bats :lol: Our back yard is a forest and theres tons of coyotes, opposums, and Racoons, just love the Racoons too.

MHooch
Halloween Master

Post by MHooch » Wed Mar 28, 2007 4:49 am

I love black cats, too...in theory. In reality I am quite allergic to cats. :? Oh well, I still love my Halloween decor with black cats featured. We have a fair amount of bats in our neighborhood, too, which is unusual, considering we live right in town. They are so fast! We enjoy watching them zoom about in the warm summer twilight.

uncletor
Halloween Master

Post by uncletor » Wed Mar 28, 2007 9:43 am

My cat, Zontar, is a tabby and I love him dearly. love all cats as a matter of fact.
so this black cat my neighbour has (with the original name of Blackie) used to come over when I was sleeping on the couch and crawl up on me and sleep on my gut. Came right in throught the patio, like she owned the place. Now, we had a dog at the time, but he didn't CARE..it would walk around HIM too..My kids eventually got as calm about it as the dog was. It was just part of her day.
Sorry to hear about Cocoa..she sounds like she was divine. Some places in the south (Atlanta, is one, I think) actually give you a tax credit for every bat house you have. (They're like bird houses, but the perch is on the inside, not the outside, and there is not floor so they can just fly in..
Now what language is DRAVEN?

deadbride
Master Reaper

Post by deadbride » Wed Mar 28, 2007 9:47 am

That's funny Hooch. I'm severly allergic too. But I won't give them up! I take meds and deal with it. Shots if I have to. When it gets bad and they've been in my face and I have a bad reaction, I end up with a bad asthma attack, swollen face, uuuggghh, I look awful. I end up in bed, they curl up next to me, like they are apologizing. It's so cute. They won't even leave me alone when I'm on the computer. Here's a pic when I was trying to talk online the other night. My white tiger siamese wouldn't leave me alone. He thought he was being cute. 2 hours he sat like that and wouldn't leave, everytime I threw him off he'd come right back. I finally gave up.

hauntmaster

Post by hauntmaster » Wed Mar 28, 2007 1:24 pm

Dutchess,

I really don't know what type of bats we have here... They're blind bats, you know? They love to fly around in the sky during night catching and eating small incests. They live inside a big old spooky tree with some vines around it. I also have rabbits, hares, raccoons, possiums, toads, moles, etc. in our backyard. Of course, we have gray rats that live under the shed and the barn as well.

EvilMel
Haunt Master

Post by EvilMel » Wed Mar 28, 2007 1:54 pm

People really put cats to sleep for being black?

That's pretty ridiculous.

I love love love black cats. I have actually never had one though.

I totally would but I just adopt whatever random stray cat comes to me when I have room in the house for another one. So happens that none of them have ever been black.

Is there a black cat/kitten rescue society or something?

Nostalgiascape
Halloween Master
What is the highest number?: 10992

Post by Nostalgiascape » Wed Mar 28, 2007 6:58 pm

My favorite Halloween critters are spiders. :P
The dark night beckons. Bear us your soul, it whispers. Expose your wicked delights. Join the rest of us on the wind. The dark night beckons and we answer. Sailing into the shadows.

hauntmaster

Post by hauntmaster » Wed Mar 28, 2007 10:37 pm

FYI, I only see some gray rats, and also, few white rats. The word is, I, myself, have never seen black rats, so have you?

Also, what is your favorite spider? For me, I guess black widow! :lol:
And the snake, I would say black snake, but not really familiar with different types of snakes myself.

Nostalgiascape
Halloween Master
What is the highest number?: 10992

Post by Nostalgiascape » Wed Mar 28, 2007 11:43 pm

Rose Hair Tarantula because they're a pretty laid back arrachnid.
The dark night beckons. Bear us your soul, it whispers. Expose your wicked delights. Join the rest of us on the wind. The dark night beckons and we answer. Sailing into the shadows.

Dutchess of Darkness
Halloween Master

Post by Dutchess of Darkness » Thu Mar 29, 2007 1:24 am

Hi Hooch, That's so sad that both you and deadbride are so allergic to cats :( Would love to see pictures of your alter, although I'm not sure if thats something someone keeps personal, but it sounds neat. And so does your halloween black cats.
We are doing better by the way, carpets are drying nicely, but our cats are pretty traumatized, especally because of the large fans going right now. Oh and the poor cats frantically running around outside who lost their homes. We helped the fire department catch our neighbours 2 cats, so they are at the in-laws shedding hair, but otherwised ok, but one of them whos owners home is gutted, shes running around outside frantic, so I'm still working on her. And the poor dog is still critical in vet care.

Dutchess of Darkness
Halloween Master

Post by Dutchess of Darkness » Thu Mar 29, 2007 2:28 am

uncletor, what an awesome name, Zontar. And thats so cool about the bat house tax credit for each bat house you have,wow.
Oh, and what language is my cats name "Draven" Well not sure about the language, but its a new age name meaning "child of beautiful Shadows" and "defender of Love" and its also believed to come from the movie "The Crow" you know the actor Brandon Lee, well in the movie his name was Eric Draven, and because he dressed in all black and the whole gothic thing, and black cats being seen as gothic, its thought to also come from there.