Great idea for '07 decorating

What do you like to decorate with? That bucket of blood?
glamourme
Ghost

Great idea for '07 decorating

Post by glamourme » Tue Jan 02, 2007 9:32 am

Over the holidays I looked through a stack of old magazines and found a great idea for Halloween '07. It's eye-catching, spooky and cute all at the same time! I think it was in an October "Women's World."

Of course they had the ordering info for the company that sells it, but it would be cheap and relatively easy to make yourself.

It looks like a bunch of ghosts playing ring around the rosey. Attach balloons to garden stakes. Cover them with a few lenghts of cheesecloth. Join each "ghost" to make it look as if they're holding "hands."

The photo in the 'zine was great if you can find that issue. I think this would look cute by day and spooky lit by black lights when TOTs come to the yard at night.

MHooch
Halloween Master
What is the highest number?: 9

Post by MHooch » Tue Jan 02, 2007 4:20 pm

I'm so excited that somebody posted on this thread!! Now I know I'm not the only one plotting decor for Halloween 2007! I have seen this done and it IS adorable both day and night. Very simple and inexpensive, but very effective.

mandy0221
Halloween Master

Post by mandy0221 » Tue Feb 27, 2007 8:59 pm

Oh I think I remember that magazine - I thought those ghosts were adorable.

I have a neighbor down the street that puts ghost like that up - but I am pretty sure they bought theirs

geekmidwinter
Haunt Master

Post by geekmidwinter » Tue Mar 20, 2007 11:54 am

I love that idea too, it reminds me of a poem that my kindergarten teacher read to me 25 years ago, something about little ghostes sitting on postes eating jam on toastes. It had pictures of little ghosts with jam stains on their little sheet-hands. It was super cute.
I saw a werewolf drinking a pina colada at Trader Vic's. His hair was perfect.

Dutchess of Darkness
Halloween Master

Post by Dutchess of Darkness » Tue Apr 03, 2007 10:51 pm

Well I guess I have to laugh at myself :lol: I'm oh so in the Halloween mood ok. So when I was at Zellers and Wal-mart the other day I asked if I could put in a request for certain stuff to be brought in for Halloween. Well the lady at the customer information centre looked at me as if I had three heads and green slime coming out of my mouth,lol. Ok so I'm a tad early, and their problem with this should be? Anyways, she said for me to come back and talk to the manager when its closer to Halloween as any requests for it would be lost right now, sigh :( Oh well. Does anyone have any year round Halloween stores near them? I heard there was one somewhere in the USA, but where I have no clue. Don't these stores realize its only 7 months until Halloween!

Slightlymad
Master Reaper

Post by Slightlymad » Sat Apr 07, 2007 9:14 pm

There are many open year round here in the states. here in the philly area we have one that is a costume store and I have heard of several more.

Dutchess of Darkness
Halloween Master

Post by Dutchess of Darkness » Sat Apr 07, 2007 11:30 pm

Hi Slightlymad, We have a tiny Goth/Alternative store that opened in town, and is actually still alive and operating, amazing how much our little city has developed a more open mind, finally. And yes they said they are going to be carrying year round costumes and assessories soon as it turns out some local people here actually go into Van to Sin City, and here I thought I was alone on that one.
When they just opened not long before xmas I showed them how to set up for people to be able to get gift certifiactes from them for xmas. Not normal ones they figured that out,lol, but so that people like my in-laws who live wayyyyyy up north and they tell hubby each year, what on earth do we get Kelly, we have nothing up her she'd like. they are able to use their credit cards anywhere people will accept them over the phone for store gift certificates, so thats what I had to help show them. So ya, they had a small selection of Design Toscano Decor stuff which I love, well I pretty much bought thier gargoyle items out, I just love the ones I bought. If you've never checked out Design Toscano be sure to, they rule! Can be expensive though, but just wait until the items you want go on sale or better yet Clearnace!
Thier Site is http://www.designtoscano.com Well if you go there, look up under wall art and accents and under wall shelves and sconces I have: The Gothic Dragons of Beltane Castle Mirrored wall sconce, 2 Whitechapel Manor Tealight Gargoyle Wall Sconces, the Marshgate Castle Dragon Electric wall sconce, and an adorable wall plaque that has a gargoyle and underneath it says Unwelcomed. And some other items as well.
Oh and be sure to check out Alchemy Gothic site as well. I have the Bat wall plaques, you know, the ones most people have outside on the wall of their home and its three different sized ducks, or butterflys, well I have the same concept except the 3 sized in black bats, very cool.
What I do is find stuff I want at these stores websites and then I go to ebay religously, so thats where I buy a lot of my decor.
Hope maybe you'll find something at those sites you like. there are several Design Toscano stores throughout the US.
I will try and keep in touch, but we just got over the fire in our townhouse complex, and now, 1 week ago today a very close girlfriend of mine came to visit me, said she'd pop by the next day before picking her kids up from their dads, and well, has fallen off the face of the earth, so ya I'm not doing so great, not getting much sleep. its been on the news, newspapers, radio, and next her dad and I will be going live to make a plea, and then I will be heading into Vancouver & Surrey to put up posters, and talk to people. From the little we know, its leading down to a very grim outlook. I'm just in total shock! As she pulled out of my place, she yelled from her car " Love you babe, Miss you, probably see ya tomorrow". Anyways, its been one thing after another, to much drama for my little brain we just hope to god she is found alive. So I will be on when I can. Talk to you later, and have a good weekend. Oh and one of these days I will have a friend over to help show me how to post pictures .

ghostess
Master Reaper

Post by ghostess » Thu Apr 26, 2007 2:20 pm

We have a few costume stores in the metro Jacksonville area here. I hear people talking all the time about the huge Halloween warehouse stores out in California. I wish we had one close by, like even in Orlando would be good.
"Speak when you are angry and you will make the best speech you will ever regret." -- Ambrose Bierce, "The Devil's Dictionary"

MHooch
Halloween Master

Post by MHooch » Sat Apr 28, 2007 1:01 am

Ghostess...maybe you should start one, you would be a great proprietor for a Halloween store...you are obviously an expert!

ghostess
Master Reaper

Post by ghostess » Sat Apr 28, 2007 9:07 am

I've thought about it. I'm a lousy businessperson though. I've owned my own business, even though it was a small restaurant, and I HATED it and was glad to leave it behind in my divorce.

I'd love to work one though, maybe I could find a business partner that handled the business side and I just operate it.... hmmm....
"Speak when you are angry and you will make the best speech you will ever regret." -- Ambrose Bierce, "The Devil's Dictionary"

geekmidwinter
Haunt Master

Post by geekmidwinter » Sat Apr 28, 2007 12:29 pm

Great idea MHooch, she could be the creative force behind it! Ghostess, you seriously have a knack for it, and wouldn't it be like living the dream? If I could have a combination coffee shop, book store and year round Halloween shop, I think I would be the happiest girl alive.
I saw a werewolf drinking a pina colada at Trader Vic's. His hair was perfect.

Dutchess of Darkness
Halloween Master

Post by Dutchess of Darkness » Wed Jul 18, 2007 5:57 am

Hey people. Ok, if all goes well I am planning a trip to Michael's on Thursday or Friday at the latest. Here's where you come in.
I want to do a Cemetary out front complete with a bat cave if money & time permit and then closer to the front door I want the theme to be like "The Witches Leaky Cauldron" so a witches Lair theme idea on the front porch area. Then for inside I plan on doing my kitchen in a complete Witches Liar theme.
Sooooooooooooo, if you could give me any ideas of some cool things you can think of that I could add, you know, just ideas to help get my jucies flowing for when I go there. I'd really apprecaite it, thanks in advance :D :wink:

Athenagwis
Crypt Keeper

Post by Athenagwis » Wed Jul 18, 2007 10:24 am

I found this cool idea that might look really good in the bat cave and would be very inexpensive to do. I plan on doing quite a few of these and putting them around my bushes.

Good Luck!

http://www.geocities.com/~uncialle/dehauntpage.html

Rachel

Dutchess of Darkness
Halloween Master

Post by Dutchess of Darkness » Wed Jul 18, 2007 2:30 pm

Athenagwis, I could just hug you! :D :wink: That link is just Way To Awesome!!! Thank-You, Thank-You, Thank-You. I will be making some of those for sure! :D Plus the whole site he has has a lot to offer, I enjoyed reading through the site, some great inexpensive ideas! :) I'm thinking of hopefully making a Bat Cave, the design "compliments of naturepixie," who also posted some totally cool pictures & a great idea for how to make a bat cave, be sure to check out naturepixies, pictures, they're really very good. :)

Athenagwis
Crypt Keeper

Post by Athenagwis » Wed Jul 18, 2007 2:42 pm

I saw those pics, they were great and her idea for the cave itself was great. I am so glad you like that link. I stumbled upon it and was excited to find something that would be totally cheap and easy to make, yet so very effective at the same time. I am always on the lookout for cheap Halloween decorations because I love the season, but unfortunately we are trying to focus more on paying off debt then decorating for Halloween. (Whose genius idea that was, I will never know!) :) So these kinds of projects are right up my alley!

Rachel