Wondering

Discussion of general Halloween topics
Lauren
Ghost
What is the highest number?: 9

Wondering

Post by Lauren » Sat Aug 19, 2006 11:25 am

I was just wondering if people like myself who love Halloween and believe in the possibility of ghosts or spirits being here among us are more likely to have 'special powers'? Have any of you ever seen a ghost or experienced the presence of a spirit whom cannot be seen by the living? L. :twisted:

uncletor
Halloween Master

Post by uncletor » Sat Aug 19, 2006 2:13 pm

I'm probably being an old corrupt geek, but I don't for a minute believe in the supernatural. But Halloween is my fave holiday, right up there with Christmas...for me, it's the costumes and the Mardi Gras spirit of the night, where everyone cuts loose JUST a little, and actually interact with the neighbours. They'll tell you more parties are held for this holiday then for any other, but did you guys ALSO know that back in the old days, the hoilday was sold on it's romantic air of mystery?? Romance...costumes, mystery...great food, lawn cemetaries....does it get any better??
Oh, one story...this happened years ago..when the church allowed BEATLES MUSIC to be played at the youth dance..the minister was NOT amused, but WHAT could HE do?? He sulked around outside, until he ran into IT...
'IT" was really a boyfriend who had been caught by the Glutch Family with one of their daughters..they poured syrup and four and feathers and motor oil on lover boy and set him loose and gave chase with rock salt in 12 guage guns..you know, good clean fun..
So the minister had gone for a walk and runs right into IT..by then, the Glutch's had given up, but he was still yelping in terror and ran right past the minister in the distance..our man of the lord stormed back into the church, YANKED the music off the turntable and told the teens to:"Get down on their KNEES he had JUST SEEN SATAN!!"
Yes, there were more then a few red faces and other body parts the next day..
Future events such as these will effect you in the future

BlackCat
Haunt Master

Post by BlackCat » Sat Aug 19, 2006 6:20 pm

I do believe in spirits and ghosts. The house I'm living in right now was bulit in the late 1800's. Things happen all the time and we are pretty used to it. Lights going on and off, doors opening, ceiling fans turning on by themselves ans stuff like that. I believe that some souls are just lost or not ready to passover so they hang out here awhile.

uncletor
Halloween Master

Post by uncletor » Sun Aug 20, 2006 11:03 am

My inability to believe stems from my Gramma. At nine or ten, I was spooked out by some horror flick on the tube. She looked at me and asked:"Boy, ever HEAR of a NAKED ghost??"
I had to confess that I had not.
"Well, WOULDN'T they be naked? Why would the CLOTHING come back??? Wouldn't THAT mean that the COFFIN they were in would ALSO COME BACK?? So you'd see alll these COFFINS banging down the street while the try to HOP place to place??? So if they come back in clothing, which I still don't GET, won't they ALSO have to have those half suit outfits the undertakers put them in??
"But most of all, wouldn't they be NAKED??"
She would chuckle softly. Gramma also dug halloween better then most, and did the house up..even came out with us..she and her posse went UNESCOURTED to flicks like PHANTOM OF THE OPERA in the 20's..unheard of back then..
Now, I believe in an afterlife, but ghosts??? Get back to me on that. I figure if they wanna, they can show up..but I'm not gonna leave the porch light on for them or anything..and if they ARE real, I imagine they have a little perspective on things..enough to forgive 'the ignorant' of doubting them...in the meantime, I still haven't seen any naked ghosts, or hopping coffins...

mandy0221
Halloween Master

Post by mandy0221 » Sun Aug 20, 2006 10:36 pm

The house I live in now has been in our family since it was built. My great grandfather and great aunt both died here in the home. One from natural causes *great gp* and the other from cancer *great aunt*.

One is that I have a unfinished closet in my room that is real attic space. I bought a battery operated motion light for it and one night laying in bed it was on (the door was glowing) so I went in and took out the battery wondering what set it off. Woke up about a half hour later and the light came back on without battery.

Also I was home alone and stiting on the couch when a clock that was hanging on the wall projected approx. 15 feet from the wall. (I measured) I went in to throw the broken glass away in the kitchen to find our table moved to the middle of the room instead of against the wall. I repeat no one was home...just me and no one moved the things prior to leaving.

The last thing was we lit a fire in the fireplace...it died and we left for dinner, came back about 2 hours later and fire still dead just some ashes. My mom said she was cold and all the sudden a full roaring fire erupted in the fireplace. It freaked me out so much and I am even such a fan from halloween. Who knows if it was ever a ghost....but it was spooky!!!

radix
Ghost

Post by radix » Mon Aug 21, 2006 7:32 am

I used to believe in the spirit realm more than I do today. I definately have had some pretty weird experiences, but I am inclined to believe that much of what people attribute to ghosts has a more mundane explanation.

That being said, I have seen what I believe to be a ghost, I have had premonitions, out-of-body experiences, strange appearance/disappearance/movement of objects, and my mother and grandmother have both had the same kinds of experiences.

As a computer scientist, I generally try to search for a logical explanation that is "of this world". However, I cannot find a resonable explanation for everything I have experienced, nor for the apparent history of experiences in my family (psychosis maybe :wink: ). So I am left with a gap in my explanations. I have a number of "theories", but mostly I believe that there is much that science has not yet been able to explain, and I find no compelling reason to discard the possibility of ghosts, etc.

Now, I stared by saying that I used to believe more than I do now. This is, I suppose, not strictly accurate. I still believe as much as I ever did, but now I am more selective about what I chaulk up to the paranormal. Also, I seem to have far fewer "interesting experiences" these days. Then again, I far busier than I ever used to be, and maybe I'm just not taking the time to notice them as much.

uncletor
Halloween Master

Post by uncletor » Mon Aug 21, 2006 5:39 pm

well, I have to envy that sort of story and excitement..I've got nothing like that..doubtlessly because I am a DISBELIEVER or something..,even slept in the same room that someone was killed in..
nothing.

Celtic Ghoul
Master Reaper

Post by Celtic Ghoul » Tue Aug 22, 2006 1:05 pm

I do believe there are many things out there that are unexplained. I have experienced a very few of these things, mostly years ago (like Radix, my life is busy so who knows what I miss).

Arthur C. Clarke said:
Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.

If I can't explain something that does not necessarily mean that it is magic, or a spirit or ghost. OTOH, that also does not mean that it isn't a spirit or ghost!
While friends and loved ones mourn your silly grave, I have other uses for you, darling. ~ I love the Dead, Alice Cooper

Lauren
Ghost

Post by Lauren » Tue Aug 22, 2006 2:29 pm

Thanks to everyone who has posted a reply, it's been interesting reading.

I have to say I do believe, or it may be just that I really want to believe. I know it was a <deleted> movie, but I got the idea from the film White Noise to leave a cassette player running while I was away at work one day. I live in an old established neighborhood and my house is fairly old, built in the 1940s. So I thought there might be a chance that a few spirits/souls might be hanging about the place.

The idea is to leave the cassette player in an area where there is a common sound already present, in my case on the kitchen table with the hum from the ceiling fan above the table. Sooooo the very first time I tried it, I came home from work and began to listen to the hour long recording. I really didn't think I would hear anything out of the oridinary. So you can imagine how surprised, even scared I was when about 20 minutes into it I hear what is without a doubt a very audible sigh, as if the person/spirit/ghost was right over the recorder. I got the distinct impression that it was a male and he sounded so tired. It shook me up a bit so I haven't tried it again. I live alone and am the only one with access to my home, so am not sure what the explaination might be. I think I'll try it again, maybe nearer to Halloween, and see/hear what happens. :o
" It is with true love as it is with ghosts; everyone talks about it, but few have seen it "

Francois de la Rochefoucauld 1613 - 1680

Celtic Ghoul
Master Reaper

Post by Celtic Ghoul » Wed Aug 23, 2006 4:19 pm

Okay, that is kind of spooky!

Maybe it would be less frightening to leave the recorder in someone else's house.

I'd be scared to do that in my house... no telling what the dogs and cats do all day. [/img]
While friends and loved ones mourn your silly grave, I have other uses for you, darling. ~ I love the Dead, Alice Cooper

BlackCat
Haunt Master

Post by BlackCat » Thu Aug 24, 2006 12:24 pm

I would love to have a recorder in my house to see what may be lurking in the shadows....my boyfriend hasa friend that works with super natural experts going to haunted homes and finding out what the spirits want. He tells us stories and sometimes he says that nothing happens. Either way it all fascinates me to no end. Anyway, I 'd also love to have video running when I'm not home to see what my cats and dog do too. They're always sleeping when I come home and I just don't buy it.

uncletor
Halloween Master

Post by uncletor » Thu Aug 24, 2006 12:27 pm

Neither do I.
For YEARS I have beleived that my cat Zontar, has his poker cronies over for a game...and that they have the nachos and salsa safely put away JUST before I get home...I keep LOOKING for his green poker visor, but no luck yet...it's gotten to the point at work that when a fire truck goes by, the staff asks if he left the stove on again...because they KNOW its' what I'm thinking...

BlackCat
Haunt Master

Post by BlackCat » Thu Aug 24, 2006 12:40 pm

That's hilarious! I belive that my cats Ash & Fuzzy throw parties and torment the dog. The invite all their other cat friends over , dance on the furniture, blast the stereo and drink plenty of alcohol. They clean up before I get home, but they are so tired they sleep very soundly in the spot they were when I left.

uncletor
Halloween Master

Post by uncletor » Thu Aug 24, 2006 12:46 pm

sounds TOTALLY resonable..I believe that..I really do..my guy would probably set up a roulette wheel, and hyp-no-tize the dawg and then take him for all he has..

Lauren
Ghost

Post by Lauren » Thu Aug 24, 2006 6:07 pm

I too would love to know what my 7 (yikes!) cats do when I'm at work. The one thing about having so many is that they do a good job of keeping each other entertained. I have one (Willie) who guards the closet door where the litter box is kept, so he can jump on any unsuspecting feline exiting the litter pan. Not funny to the old cats, but hilarious to watch!
" It is with true love as it is with ghosts; everyone talks about it, but few have seen it "

Francois de la Rochefoucauld 1613 - 1680