Halloween Report - What did you do?

Discussion of general Halloween topics
Boo
Master Reaper
What is the highest number?: 9

Halloween Report - What did you do?

Post by Boo » Wed Nov 01, 2006 5:10 am

Well here's a run down of my Halloween 2006. I'd love to hear what you got up to.

Well this year it started for me on the 29th, my wife and I took our two nephews to a theme park. There were plenty of Halloween decorations and pumpkins scattered around everywhere. As the sun set and a half-full moon rose in a whispy sky, we went to the ghost house, and standing there surrounded by pumpkin and staff in Halloween costumes I felt that old Halloween surge that had been running hot and cold with me since the beginning of October.

Monday after work I returned home to find that my wife had carved her pumpkin, decorated the house and cooked a pumpkin pie. I can't tell you how much enjoyed this, my wife is Japanese and for years I've been trying to persuade her that Halloween is fun and that we should do something special. Until last year she would shrug her shoulders and tell me she couldn't understand what all the fuss was about and that I was being childish (fair point....but I've never seen anything wrong with being childish). But this year especially she has led the Halloween charge and consequently I've been enjoying it even more.

On Halloween itself (yesterday), I left work at lunch-time after decorating the office with a few Halloween decorations and drove home. I was thrilled that the weather had turned, it was bright but cold and windy and the leaves were falling from the trees in buckets.
I arrived home, set the 'Witches of Eastwick' playing on the DVD player and started the pumpkin carving (not very impressive this year, it came in a very poor second to my wife's attempt).
My wife arrived home around 4pm and we set off with our cowardly dog in tow (he's afraid of the dark), for a spooky walk in the woods on the twilight lit Wimbledon Common. The atmosphere was perfect.
As we left the common to return home we bumped into a number of 'Trick or Treaters' going about their nocturnal business, it was good to see the kids having so much fun.

We arrived home, watched some spooky kids tv specials and I cooked up a Chili. I think it was about this time that I reached my Halloween peak.

So I cooked the Chili, ate far too much and then lit the pumpkin and sat down to watch Sleepy Hollow on the tv.
Unfortunately I fell asleep on the sofa and missed half of the movie (really quite annoyed with myself about this, shouldn't have eaten so much). I woke up after the film and in a groggy state made off to bed annoyed with myself for missing out on the last two hours of Halloween.

Still it was a fun weekend and now I can start looking forward to next year.

How about you guys?
The steeples are white in the wild moonlight,
And the trees have a silver glare;
Past the chimneys high see the vampires fly,
And the harpies of upper air,
That flutter and laugh and stare.

midnight kitty
Haunt Master

Post by midnight kitty » Wed Nov 01, 2006 8:06 am

ok, so halloween started last week for me. on the 25th the daughter's school had trunk or treat. you decorate you car trunk and the kids TOT.
friday we drove up to sleepy hollow NY (i didn't realize it was so close. only 1 1/2 hrs) got to see the old church, the bridge, a reinactment (sp?)
it was vrey cool. saturday we had the daughter's halloween party. about 10 kids showed up (which is good coz my house, eventhough big, the rooms are small and there are a lot of them). we painted pumkins, played games, played w/ the new puppy, ate chicken and cake. it was fun. saturday night we go down to philadelphia for a party at my brother's friends house that we were invited to. although the party was great, i was just too tired to enjoy it, and the husband drank too much and didn't eat, so needless to say it was an early night for us. sunday brought TOTing at my sister-in-law's community (up here there are private developments called communities) they do it on sundays coz most people who live there work in NY or NJ and can't take their kids into town for TOTing. unfortunatley not many people celebrated. in a commmunity w/ hundreds of houses, she only got 3/4 of her bucket filled.
monday we took a break. we were just way too tired form the weekend thay we even skipped the showing of halloween in the theater. tuesday brought me making pumpkin pmacakes for the daughter and bringing her to work w/ me (she doesn't have school on tuesdays) we watched halloween cartoons (monster house, the adventures of ichabod and mr toad, the worst witch) ate candy, and drew halloween pictures. after work i spent about 2 hrs fixing the hem in her costume (i am the world's worst seamstress this was the 5th time i fixed it in a week) at dinner, then took her and the puppy TOTing. we just went around a couple of blocks. she got her bucket filled to the brim and everyone adored the puppy. since we were only TOTing for an hour, there was still time to go to my friend's little party before it was the daughter's bed time. so we went to my friend's houe. handed out candy, ate chilli, drank hot apple cider, the kids watched the garfield halloween special. came home, tucked her into bed (she passed right out). watched the rocky horror picture show on vh1 classic (the husband complained the whole time, he hates this movie but i didn't care. i missed the last few yrs of showings coz of him, i wasn't missing it this yr. after that we started watching ghosthunters live. we only got through the 1st hr (it was 7 hrs long) before we started dosing off. thus ending halloweenn 06.
bring on the withdrawals
trick or treat

tomanderson
Halloween Master

Post by tomanderson » Wed Nov 01, 2006 9:51 am

Well, a friend of mine that I often do Halloween festivities with had taken me to Universal Studios on the weekend for one of their Halloween Horror Nights, which was pretty nice. They set up some horror mazes and had ghouls walking around, some sound effects, and Universal horror clips playing constantly on big video screens. These clip montages almost stole the show because Universal has a long, solid history of horror behind it (that's why we were there!). Overall, a pretty nice presentation.

Halloween was last night and I woke up just a little while ago. The aforementioned friend had just bought a house and was scrambling to get some semblance of an existence set up inside it. I've been an apartment dweller for years and hadn't had a nice house to do Halloween in so I brought down some Halloween decorations and some candy--the neighborhood looked like it might have some trick or treaters in there.

It's getting dark and we get a number of decorations and lights quickly set up. Pretty soon the street is real dark (few streetlights) and we have a blacklight with glowing Beistle skeleton (the 55" one!) and a bunch of flashing lights, skulls and pumpkins. I had pulled the lights out of a couple of cheap flashing skulls and placed the lights under some bushes near the porch for a spooky/magical effect. For two hours or more, no sign of any trick or treaters. Hmm!

I have not really SEEN trick or treaters at the door or given out candy to them in years. Easily, it's been more than 15 years, or maybe 20? Been a long time. And around 7:30 pm, they show up. Not continuously. In dribs and drabs. We have candy, but we don't really see hordes of treaters so we start passing out candy by the large double handfuls. Big mistake.

They started appearing in larger groups, all kinds of costumes. We start to cut back on the amounts of candy doled out, to conserve it, but within a short while we are totally cleaned out and there is a mad dash to find any stray bits of candy we have and any toys we can give away. We located some plastic rats and skeleton toys and those are gone in a few minutes! We consider giving out free DVDs but decide that this is too much, so that idea is tossed aside. Eventually we give out our plastic decoration skulls (getting some shocked, surprised reactions, because it's a strange thing to give someone a big plastic skull). We are forced to turn out most of the lights to let them know we're empty. I took a few lights and arranged them way out on the lawn near the street so we could at least have some decorations going while keeping the house itself dark.

Horror movies have been playing during this time, of course, and we keep watching stuff for a while and then wrap it up. Pretty fun and memorable.

uncletor
Halloween Master

Post by uncletor » Wed Nov 01, 2006 10:29 am

The best thing was getting my daugther back on side. She said we were fighting last year, which I didn't remember,but it was good to have her back with her three year old daughter, who tooled around the neighbourhood in a plush tiger outfit, warm in the Canadian Halloween.
Remember Boney Maroney? The skeleton I had spent SINCE LABOR DAY turning into a rotting corpse? Well it fell down..and cracked. Lots of glue and more screwnails in the off season, I tell you..We piled it up under the tree and it STILL freaked out the local kids..
Voodoo baby was a hit, and our usual potions that we brew up in front of the folks with dry ice made them stare.
The decorations come down tomorrow. It takes three car loads to get them back from Gal Pals
Future events such as these will effect you in the future

EvilClown421
Ghost

Post by EvilClown421 » Wed Nov 01, 2006 10:40 am

My Halloween began on the 27th, people had costumes on at school :lol:
On the weekend, I got all the candy for the people who would trick ot treat at my house (I live in an apartment so no one came, more candy for me!) I had a quick party on sunday, nothing on monday, then halloween came, and i got the most candy I have ever gotten! It's my last year as a trick or treater, so I made sure i'd remember it! I got about 4.4 pounds of candy! I'm guessing it will last for another week AT LEAST. Well I had fun!

Willow
Vampire

Post by Willow » Wed Nov 01, 2006 11:42 am

Hello,
A slow halloween for me this year but here's what i did...........

I had planted 4 pumpkin plant in large tubs late june, they were the small pie type and one from a large jack from last year. I have watched them grow and turn orange, I cut them from the vine last week.

I placed the small ones outside the front door with potted mums. This was the first sign of halloween at our house. I couldnt wait to place them!

My parents picked me up a large pumpkin from the supermarket ( my parents get involved too, although it wasnt big in their day) as i had not had chance to get any, they got it on Sat. I was so grateful i was worried i wouldnt have any to carve!

On Monday I was full of cold......So took opportunity and skipped college, to finally prepare for my favourite day. My Mum and me went into town looking for lights or candles, decor anything. Wasnt much about this year, but i bought a TY Beanie halloween cat 'Moonlight'. I collect the halloween ones. I found another large pumpkin in the market monday, so i decided what i have is enough this year as i am behind schedule.

That night i made treats from marzipan, i am in a small village and this is ok, we know most people and parents are there also. Went and bought lollipop and shop candy to give out also. I watched return to halloween town on Disney channel.

Halloween night I carved one pumpkin and taped lights to my windows, mum bought me a ghost shilouette i put that up also. Treaters came from 6.00 pm. Many but nice and steady. ended at 9.00pm. They came evenly no mad rush this year, so i decided to enjoy the rest of night and watch Abc halloween specials!

Lovley night then my mum and me watched halloween town again, whilst burning my yankee candle 'pumpkin spice'.

Iam still toasting seeds tonight and lighting my pumpkin , i am hoping to bake a pumpkin pie, i have never made one before. I try to keep halloween for at least a day or too!

Willow x

tantraman
Halloween Master
What is the highest number?: 10992

Post by tantraman » Wed Nov 01, 2006 3:11 pm

good call I love pie.
happy happy halloween silver shamrock.

Please check out our new horror movie blog check our the first post on our new horror movie blog https://horrormoviehallofflames.wordpress.com/

MHooch
Halloween Master

Post by MHooch » Thu Nov 02, 2006 12:54 am

On friday I had the pleasure of going to a children's party. The hostess, Jessie (7 years old) is my Halloween buddy. She loves the season as much as I do. Her mom had a beautiful table set with lots of good food, and her dad (with a bit of help from me :wink: ) had set up a haunted area in their barn. It was fabulous, with witches, ghosts, tombstones, fog, pumpkins, and a flying skeleton (operated by a neighbor with a fishing pole!) The kids just loved it!

We had a fabulous party Sat nite for the "groan-ups", tons of delicious food, dancing, charades, costume contest, music and fun all fueled by "witches brew". 8) Lots of EXCELLENT costume efforts (I posted pics on the party thread) by friends and family. We laughed and screamed the whole night away. Gale force winds prevented a big push with the outdoor decorations, but we went all out inside, even had some fog going.

Sunday we recuperated. :oops:

Monday was a clear glorious fall day, and a friend and I took a top-down ride to a nearby historic town, had lunch, walked around in the fall leaves (really good crunch!) looked at the old victorian homes (some of which were VERY nicely decorated for the season), and generally enjoyed a perfect autumn day.

And then the day we had all been waiting for, The 31st!! We set up the cemetery that had fallen down in the wind, put up our witch and cauldron display, set up the fog machine and timer, cranked up the scary sound-track, lit the pumpkins and had the neighborhood kids over for a pre-TOT party with hotdogs and snacks. We had a GREAT turnout, bettter than in many years past (we invite our whole street), the kids were adorable, and so much fun! We had a good turnout of TOTers this year, too. And it IS fun, isn't it, when you hear the kids saying "isn't this COOL??" and "what a neat house!" I've got to tell you, a friend of my mom's (in her 70's) came by four seperate times with four different groups of her friends and family...she said she just "HAD" to show them our house. We gave them the grand tour, inside and out. What a nice compliment. The spooky village really went over big.

And then, when the TOTers were gone, and the last pumpkin candle had died down, I was standing on the porch surveying the night...nice and bright, with a half-moon...and I said to myself, "Hooch...if you don't do it now, it'll be 365 days 'til you get this opportunity again..."And so I climbed into the Magic Pumpkin, put the top down, and drove off into the night, still in my witches hat and robes, and friends, THAT was the best part of Halloween for me this year. Surprisingly enough, the hat stayed on, and I had a LOVELY ride. I guess that will be my new Halloween tradition!

halloweengirl
Crypt Keeper

Post by halloweengirl » Sat Nov 04, 2006 8:47 am

HI EVERYBODY!! :) glad to see everyone had a really awesome halloween!!!just wondering about halloweentown,how was it ? the new episode?(part 4) i missed it, I wonder would there be any way to watch it now or even buy it on dvd? anyone know anything? :idea: :idea: :?: :?:
NIGHT FOLLOWS THE LONELY MOON,MORNING COMES EVER SO SOON. author halloweengirl.

LittleDollClaudia
Haunt Master

Post by LittleDollClaudia » Sun Nov 05, 2006 8:21 am

;jumps up and down: I want to go to Hooch's party next year and go TOTing at Uncletor's. Then I want to carve punkins at Boo's house. Even though his wife may give me a run for my money. Hopefully Spooky's place won't be filled up so I can stay there for my vacation. :giggles: I am so happy for all of you!!

And for the rest of you I didn't mention, Happy Haunting!!
"I dress this way just to keep them at bay 'cause Halloween is every day."-Ministry

MHooch
Halloween Master

Post by MHooch » Mon Nov 06, 2006 12:06 am

I SO wish that all my Halloween.com friends could come to my party!!! That would ROCK!!! :lol:

JACKRYAN592
Haunt Master

Post by JACKRYAN592 » Mon Nov 06, 2006 12:37 am

IT MAY SOUND BORING, BUT IMY HALLOWEEN CONSISTED OF GOING TO MY SISTERS HOUSE, AND PASSING OUT CANDY TO THE TOT'ERS. THEN I WENT HOME AND WATCHED EVERY SPOOKY SHOW I COULD FIND ON TV. ONE MINUTE BEFORE MIDNIGHT, I STUCK MY HEAD OUTSIDE TO TAKE A FINAL GLIMPSE OF THE HALLOWEEN NIGHT SKY, AIR FRESH WITH THE SMELL OF AUTUMN LEAVES, FADING SOUNDS OF HALLOWEEN, BLOWING THROUGH THE TREES. FEELING SAD THAT ANOTHER HALLOWEEN HAD COME AND GONE, AND NOW HAVING TO WAIT ONE LONG YEAR FOR THE NEXT. I AM SO GLAD I FOUND THIS SITE, YOU ARE ALL GREAT!!! LOOKING FORWARD TO SHARING WITH ALL OF YOU THROUGH THE YEAR UNTIL NEXT HALLOWEEN!!

deadbride
Master Reaper

Post by deadbride » Mon Nov 06, 2006 1:01 am

I spent all day Sunday, Monday, Tuesday (Halloween) transforming a rather dull, boring clubhouse/recreation hall into an awesome haunted house. Then spent all night Tuesday taking it apart and putting the room back to normal so it looked presentable for the manager for Wednesday morning, all with a broken arm and only one assistant because everyone else decided they had better things to do as usual. But we had so much fun for me it was worth it. My zombies scared the p.... out of several people and the giant bat made some jump. It was great. If I could figure out how to post pics on here I would. Typing with this cast is hard enough. LOL :roll:
I may grow older, but I refuse to grow up.
I'm not weird, just normal challenged.