What constitutes a Christmas song?

Let us know your Christmas thoughts, preparations and details!

What constitutes a Christmas song?

Postby gameshowguy2000 on Sun Oct 09, 2011 12:56 pm

I ask this because my sister and I constantly argue over this topic. She says that there are more songs about Jesus' birth than about snow, snowmen, reindeer, and Santa. I tell her it's the other way around because those 4 things are the first things we think of when someone mentions the word "Christmas".

What do you guys think constitutes a Christmas song? Does it have to be about Jesus' birth or can it be about the Big 4 (snow, snowmen, reindeer, and Santa)?
"Who would imagine, who could imagine, who would imagine a king?"-Whitney Houston, The Preacher's Wife, 1996

gameshowguy2000

Re: What constitutes a Christmas song?

Postby Thom on Tue Oct 11, 2011 7:31 pm

I think both can constitute a Christmas song and genuinely love both. Whether it is Christmas carols to do with the baby Jesus and the whole story of Mary and Joseph, or more modern festive pop songs, both play a significant part in setting the mood for the holidays.

That is definitely the case for me, I love such a wide range of Christmas music.
Thom

Postby gameshowguy2000 on Tue Oct 11, 2011 8:02 pm

So we can only call it a "Carol" if it has to do with Jesus' birth, so to speak?

I mean, there are a lot of Christmas Carols books that have a combo of both Nativity songs (I'll use that term from now on) to "Big 4" (Santa/Reindeer/Snowmen/Snow) songs. Would a book title like that be misleading?
"Who would imagine, who could imagine, who would imagine a king?"-Whitney Houston, The Preacher's Wife, 1996

gameshowguy2000

Postby Thom on Tue Oct 11, 2011 8:18 pm

No I think I was a bit quick to generalise a "carol" as a song solely to do with Jesus' birth. Though they are that, you could also count traditional songs like 'We Wish You A Merry Christmas' as a carol too. Thanks for picking me up on that. :)
Thom

Postby Christmas Spirit on Fri Oct 14, 2011 5:21 pm

The best way to bring about Christmas cheer is singing loud for all to hear! That's buddy the elf and he's always right! :wink:
Christmas Spirit

Postby Thom on Tue Nov 15, 2011 8:36 pm

Christmas Spirit wrote:The best way to bring about Christmas cheer is singing loud for all to hear! That's buddy the elf and he's always right! :wink:

Wise words from a very wise elf! I love that movie. :D
Thom

Postby reginald1 on Sat Mar 16, 2013 1:14 am

That's buddy the elf and he's always right!
Enjoy the service of buy cheap dvd online for the most saving can be done here!
reginald1

Return to Christmas Thoughts