Anything to keep carved pumpkins lasting longer?

Do you have a special way to carve a pumpkin?
spins the thread of life
Ghost
What is the highest number?: 9

Anything to keep carved pumpkins lasting longer?

Post by spins the thread of life » Fri Oct 20, 2006 7:24 am

I never know when to carve. Having a party the 28th and want them not to rot before Halloween for trick or treat. I live in the south (yesterday was 85*), so ya never know with the weather. Is there anything anyone does to make them last longer? I bought some spray on stuff one year but it didn't work.

EvilMel
Haunt Master

Post by EvilMel » Fri Oct 20, 2006 8:12 am

I had this stuff from Pumpkin Masters called Pumpkin Saver and it worked freaking awesome!! It sealed the pumpkin up right away so that it stayed good for days!

But I have not been able to find it in a number of years...very very very sadly.

MildredHubble
Ghost

Post by MildredHubble » Sun Oct 22, 2006 3:39 pm

I have heard that covering in plastic wrap and refridgerating the pumkin will help after it has been carved.

The only method I have tried is after it is carved I always rub petroleum jelly (vaseline) all over the inside and carved parts. It has always seemed to buy me a couple extra days allowing me to carve before Halloween as opposed to the day of. Hope this helps!

Liz

MHooch
Halloween Master

Post by MHooch » Tue Oct 24, 2006 12:02 am

I, too loved the Pumpkin Masters spray and thought it did a great job, but haven't seen it in forever. The vaseline thing works, too, as does cooler temps. (But I barely have room in the fridge for stuff that BELONGS there! LOL! A trick that I always a crock until I did it...if a pumpkin starts to sag, put it in a tub full of cool water (cover it). It really does perk them up to last a few more days.

mandy0221
Halloween Master

Post by mandy0221 » Wed Oct 25, 2006 12:29 pm

I have tried the vasaline thing and it seemed to work pretty well. At least it kept things from turning brown and moldy. I am not sure how much it protected from the sides getting weak though.

Pennywise11
Halloween Master

Post by Pennywise11 » Wed Oct 25, 2006 1:51 pm

I am carving my pumpkins this Friday evening and I will have to try the vasaline thing. My party is Saturday and hopefully they will last until the big Fright Night!
1, 2, Freddy's Coming For You 3, 4, Better Lock Your Door 5, 6, Grab A Crucifix 7, 8, Better Stay Up Late 9, 10, Never Sleep Again

mandy0221
Halloween Master

Post by mandy0221 » Wed Oct 25, 2006 7:33 pm

Oh Pennywise surely they will last. I always take the vasaline and really get around where I cut out the face or pictures...that is the part I worry about the most. Good luck...!

Pennywise11
Halloween Master

Post by Pennywise11 » Thu Oct 26, 2006 8:39 am

Thanks mandy0221, I'll be sure to send some pictures of my beatiful baby pumpkins
1, 2, Freddy's Coming For You 3, 4, Better Lock Your Door 5, 6, Grab A Crucifix 7, 8, Better Stay Up Late 9, 10, Never Sleep Again