question, yard haunts, posters?

Discussion of general Halloween topics
Willow
Vampire
What is the highest number?: 9

question, yard haunts, posters?

Post by Willow » Sun Oct 22, 2006 7:40 am

Hi everyone,
I have a question if you dont mind, i have heard that if you are having a 'yard haunt' you put flyers around the town? We dont really have open haunts here in the uk, i mean people dont walk around our decorations, but i was wondering do you also advertise your garden decorations?

What is the difference between a 'yard haunt' and just yard decor?

So if you just put lots of decor up, and provide lots of fantastic sweets, candy would you put flyers up for that? i would like to post them if one year i went all out.

willow x

thislazylife
Haunt Master

Post by thislazylife » Sun Oct 22, 2006 1:49 pm

Normally, in the US, we don't need to put flyers up, because it's tradition for the Trick-or-Treaters to just come on their own.
I had left a post mentioning that I would be hanging flyers in my immediate neighborhood to try and entice kids (and adults) to come check out my cemetery, because in the past I've had very few trick-or-treaters.
So if folks don't automatically go out on Halloween night where you live, I would say yes, go 'head and make flyers.

I guess the difference between a yard haunt and yard decor is a yard haunt you purposely go for the creepy and macabre, while yard decor is much more tame, like smiling ghosts and friendly scarecrows.

If you want to see what in my opinion a GREAT yard haunt looks like, check out Doc Deth's post in the Decorating forums . . .
Laurie stares at the station wagon as it moves past. She looks directly at The Shape inside. There is a quick glimpse of him, a strange pale face staring back.

tomanderson
Halloween Master

Post by tomanderson » Mon Oct 23, 2006 3:59 pm

I also recommend you take a look at

http://www.hauntinggrounds.org

This was a jaw-dropping, fairly high-tech yard haunt that is no longer in business (it ran for decades!) but you can see photos and listen to the sounds at their website. Truly, this was marvelous.

They used to put flyers out, but everything they did was high-class and gutsy...exhuberantly different.

MHooch
Halloween Master

Post by MHooch » Mon Oct 23, 2006 11:28 pm

tomanderson...thanks for the awesome link. What a FABULOUS show, I am in awe...

mandy0221
Halloween Master

Post by mandy0221 » Mon Oct 23, 2006 11:29 pm

I agree that some people feel posting signs will draw people in to come see their decorations. If you live in the U.K. where there are few decorations perhaps you could post a different kind of sign. "Spooky House this way" "Halloween House Here" etc. etc. That way it entices people to drive down your street.

How big of a set up do you have? Can people actually like walk through your yard or is it more of a stand and see?? If you have a large set up maybe a local paper or magazine might do a little story on your house and then people will really come.

thislazylife
Haunt Master

Post by thislazylife » Tue Oct 24, 2006 5:03 am

tomanderson, that site was AMAZING. I now have "haunt envy."

Thank you very much.
Laurie stares at the station wagon as it moves past. She looks directly at The Shape inside. There is a quick glimpse of him, a strange pale face staring back.