Halloween for Readers

Discussion of general Halloween topics
BlackCat
Haunt Master

Post by BlackCat » Tue Sep 19, 2006 9:21 pm

No Pennywise I haven't read that Dan Simmons novel. What is it about? I really loved Summer of Night.

MHooch
Halloween Master
What is the highest number?: 9

Post by MHooch » Wed Sep 20, 2006 12:36 am

geekmidwinter...again a fabulous idea...wait 'til AFTER the season is over and we need a little TLC cause we're SO bummed it's over. Good thinking! But spooky's not allowed to take her decorations down til we get there!!! I would be so excited to meet all of you, wouldn't it be GREAT???? :lol: :lol:

LittleDollClaudia
Haunt Master

Post by LittleDollClaudia » Wed Sep 20, 2006 5:39 am

THAT would be most excellent! I second the motion for a get-together at Spooky's.
"I dress this way just to keep them at bay 'cause Halloween is every day."-Ministry

geekmidwinter
Haunt Master

Post by geekmidwinter » Wed Sep 20, 2006 10:14 am

I say we gang up on her. HA! She said she was already booked every weekend in October, so we might be out of luck.
I saw a werewolf drinking a pina colada at Trader Vic's. His hair was perfect.

BlackCat
Haunt Master

Post by BlackCat » Wed Sep 20, 2006 2:26 pm

She can ship her "guests" to another hotel or something. I think we are a little more important than they are.

glamourme
Ghost

Fun, sexy Halloween reads

Post by glamourme » Thu Oct 19, 2006 1:52 pm

The Charlaine Harris "Sookie Stackhouse" series is great! Sookie is a waitress in (pre-Katrina) Louisiana who is also a telepath -- she knows what you're thinking. The "chatter" of everyone's thoughts is deafening while she's serving wings and beer, until Bill walks in. She can't "hear" him at all. That's 'cause he's a vampire. Sookie begins dating Bill and finds out that there's a whole lot more going on in her nape of the woods than meets the eye -- supernatural creatures. There's a whole series of Sookie books. I'm not sure, but I think "Dead Until Dark" is the first one. Enjoy!

geekmidwinter
Haunt Master

Post by geekmidwinter » Thu Oct 19, 2006 2:19 pm

I've read all the Charlaine Harris novels, they are super cute, easy to get through mysteries. Great suggestion!

Also, I finished Richard Matheson's Hell House, and wow, that was some scary stuff! Thanks for suggesting it, Celtic Ghoul. I'll be starting I Am Legend pretty soon.

Right now I'm reading Blood Sucking Fiends by Christopher Moore, it's absolutely hilarious. Highly recommended.
I saw a werewolf drinking a pina colada at Trader Vic's. His hair was perfect.

EvilMel
Haunt Master

Post by EvilMel » Thu Oct 19, 2006 4:08 pm

Hey guys...seems you are all super into horror/mystery types of books.

I was wondering if any of you had ever listened to any of the horror podcasts? The one I am thinking of is called "Tales of Horror". It is basically a lot of those old horror short stories from like the 1940's when they used to play them on the radio. Someone has a "Radio Nostalgia Network" and they made this thing into a podcast. So it's stories like the Monkey's Paw and some others. There are some read by Orson Welles. It's awesome! My friend listens to podcasts without an ipod (on his mp3 player) so I am sure you could do it even if you don't have an ipod. Another one I like is called "Rotting Flesh Radio" but that is about the horror and haunt industry (so not on this thread's topic at all).

About Agatha Christie...I really used to like her books when I was younger. I read one outloud to my mom and brother on a road trip one year (now I'd totally throw up from motion sickness! hah hah).

Also...I too absolutely love Harry Potter. My friend said that for a while now JK Rowling has not been calling the next book the *last* book but has been calling it the 7th book. So I am just hoping with all my might that it's not the last one. Oh man...so totally hoping. I have all 6 on my ipod and I have listened to them over and over. It's great for background sound while I am at work because I work in a lab and some of the tasks are a bit tedious. Anyways...way too long of a post...sorry.

tantraman
Halloween Master
What is the highest number?: 10992

Post by tantraman » Fri Oct 20, 2006 12:01 am

try the scaries stories to tell in the dark series.
happy happy halloween silver shamrock.

Please check out our new horror movie blog check our the first post on our new horror movie blog https://horrormoviehallofflames.wordpress.com/

Willow
Vampire

Post by Willow » Sat Oct 21, 2006 5:23 am

Hi,
I always try to read something around october its great to snuggle with a book, at the moment iam reading a 'cozy' murder mystery called 'The jasmine Moon Murder' by Laura Childs. Its not dark or chilling but it stared out on halloween in a cemetery! she owns a tea/cake speciality shop and was holding a halloween fundraiser when someone died. Now shes on the hunt for who did it.

I tried to order from my local library halloween: Customs, Recipes & Spells by Silver RavenWolf. I really enjoy reading up on the tradition of the season and it puts me in the mood. I guess i will read it next year now as they couldn't get it for me in time.

Someone on the board asked about Elizabeth peters. I have read one of her egyptian novels 'Crocodile on the sandbank' she has a whole run egypt novels about same characters. They are cute and funny, cozy/amateur sleuth mysteries.

Willow :)