A Special Moment for Me

Discussion of general Halloween topics
Winnie Sanderson
Master Reaper
What is the highest number?: 9

A Special Moment for Me

Post by Winnie Sanderson » Sat Oct 14, 2006 4:57 pm

I just wanted to share this because I don't have anyone else who could appreciate what this meant to me other than those of you who love halloween as I do......

I have a 3 year old son who has autism. When he was diagnosed we were told about all of the things he would never do or understand in this life. As parents it is hard to accept that because you dream of all the fun things you will be able to share with your child. To have someone tell you to forget all your dreams for your child is pretty devestating. Well it was to me anyway.

My son was due Nov 28th and I told my OBGYN that I couldn't have a Thanksgiving baby that he had to be born on halloween since it was my favorite and we all laughed ( me, dr and hubby) Well my son was born a bit premature on Oct 30th at 9:38 pm (he wouldn't wait any longer...lol)
I was happy of course to meet my son but there was that small part inside me that felt it was more special because of my love for halloween. I told him the next day that I was going to teach him all about halloween and how to do it right!

So after the dx I had to let some of my dreams go for what we would share on halloween or so I thought....

I took my son out to our inflatable haunted house and walked him through it pointing things out to him and naming the objects. The lights were flashing inside and I said to him "ooohhhh it's spooky in here" Well last night my son took me into his room got his Frankenstein flashlight, turned off his bedroom light and was pressing the on and off button on the flashlight and said " spooky momma"

It meant so much to share that moment with my baby. Halloween is alot more special to me this year now....

thislazylife
Haunt Master

Post by thislazylife » Sat Oct 14, 2006 5:44 pm

Only one word for that:

Bittersweet.
Laurie stares at the station wagon as it moves past. She looks directly at The Shape inside. There is a quick glimpse of him, a strange pale face staring back.

LittleDollClaudia
Haunt Master

Post by LittleDollClaudia » Sat Oct 14, 2006 6:51 pm

Winnie, I have an Autistic son. He is 16 now and it has been an uphill battle but so worth it. Yes, his social development is behind but his observances on this world give me new hope every day. He may not ever be what society believes he should be, but he always brings me joy. I am glad that he has a way to show you his love of Halloween. Mine enjoys it too. It took a long time and patience. My heart goes out to you. I also send you courage. Just remember, he is your boy and you will do right by hi. Don't let teachers or doctors tell you what to do. I was told my son would never talk or hug or form friendships. He has done all those things and more. I'm keeping the Halloween faith right by your side! :hugs: :D
"I dress this way just to keep them at bay 'cause Halloween is every day."-Ministry

MHooch
Halloween Master

Post by MHooch » Sat Oct 14, 2006 10:03 pm

Winnie, that is so great! I am part of the medical profesion, but let me tell you, we don't know squat compared to what parents feel and know about their children. Give him a hug for me, and save one for yourself, too!

Winnie Sanderson
Master Reaper

Post by Winnie Sanderson » Tue Oct 17, 2006 10:12 pm

Thanks ya'll for your kind words. It meant alot to me to share that moment with him. He is such a beautiful little soul.....

geekmidwinter
Haunt Master

Post by geekmidwinter » Wed Oct 18, 2006 2:22 pm

Winnie, your story moved me to tears, that is a wonderful moment, thanks for sharing it with us. God (or whatever diety you choose) Bless you and Claudia, you are both amazing and I am endlessly suprised by the ability of this message board and this holiday to allow me to communicate with people like you. I am both proud and humbled to be a part of it.
I saw a werewolf drinking a pina colada at Trader Vic's. His hair was perfect.

Pennywise11
Halloween Master

Post by Pennywise11 » Wed Oct 18, 2006 2:38 pm

Winnie, it is wonderful when people get to take part and feel types of love & caring and for you to share that with us gives us the opportunity to see just a sliver of the strength, love and bond you have with your baby boy. Love is what makes the world go round and it comes in all sizes, shapes and forms it is great when people get a chance to experience such a strong emotion in a way not expected. Thank you.
1, 2, Freddy's Coming For You 3, 4, Better Lock Your Door 5, 6, Grab A Crucifix 7, 8, Better Stay Up Late 9, 10, Never Sleep Again

uncletor
Halloween Master

Post by uncletor » Wed Oct 18, 2006 4:53 pm

Been a bear of a day at work...folks just hanging on and demanding...maybe two breaks of five minutes before lunch, and ten mintues of lunch, lost some important documents that had to be found, client ran off..
then I read the two posts and remembered why I still do this schtick after 18 years..
god bless you both.
Future events such as these will effect you in the future

William
Haunt Master

Post by William » Thu Oct 19, 2006 1:02 am

That was a verry good moment, thanks for sharing it with us, don't listen to those doctor's burn them to the stake (no offence MHooch), teach your child about Halloween and how to store it, when i will have a child i will do that :D so he could go on with the tradition
Halloween is coming,be sure to be dead until then, if not all hallows eve will take care

Hdunlopclark
Master Reaper

Post by Hdunlopclark » Wed Oct 25, 2006 5:28 am

I think i know what that babys first word will be Halloween, spooky, bat, pumpkin, scary or somthing like that! :lol:

mandy0221
Halloween Master

Post by mandy0221 » Wed Oct 25, 2006 12:44 pm

Winnie it is great that you had a chance to share something special with him. It is a touching story and hopefully there will be plenty more "spooky" memories to be had this Halloween and all the ones to follow.

Spooky_Ollie
Zombie

Post by Spooky_Ollie » Sun Oct 29, 2006 12:22 pm

That is so cute! You must have been crying with joy that day. I'm so happy now! :D
Halloween would be the best time of year for me, but you get lots of food at christmas, except for pumpkin.

Winnie Sanderson
Master Reaper

Post by Winnie Sanderson » Mon Oct 30, 2006 10:00 am

Again thanks everyone for you kind words....

I just finished my son costume this morning. He is going to be a scarecrow if I can figure out how to post pictures I will...LOL Today is his birthday so I have been busy baking this weekend (birthday and halloween) My husband and I are going to take him TOTing tomorrow. It will be his first time and we have been practicing. LOL