Another Porter & Coates 1883 edition

Postby Book Lover on Mon Dec 15, 2008 7:32 am

Hi,
I was trying to find out some information about a book our family has and stumbled upon your web page of old copies. From your list, it seems to be an alternate cover to the 1883 Porter & Coates edition. It has a brown leather cover that is sort of embossed with a design and the title, in gold, Night Before Christmas. I can send a copy of the cover if you are interested. The book is in pretty bad shape though the pictures are still wonderful.
Book Lover

Re: Another Porter & Coates 1883 edition

Postby Chris on Mon Dec 15, 2008 1:13 pm

Hi,
Yes, if you can send a copy of the cover, that would be great. In all likelihood if you look at the end of the book you'll see the page with the title "The Bells Series" and it shows the five different types of covers that the series was printed with. This is usually on the page adjacent to the 'Merry Christmas to all, and to all a good-night" page. I think the hand-painted canvas are really cool, but from the cover we can probably tell which one it is. You can attach it to a message here if you wish. In all likelihood it is the "Limp-calf, hand-painted" version based on the description

I think the pictures in that edition are wonderful too.

Book Lover wrote:Hi,
I was trying to find out some information about a book our family has and stumbled upon your web page of old copies. From your list, it seems to be an alternate cover to the 1883 Porter & Coates edition. It has a brown leather cover that is sort of embossed with a design and the title, in gold, Night Before Christmas. I can send a copy of the cover if you are interested. The book is in pretty bad shape though the pictures are still wonderful.
Chris

Postby Book Lover on Sun Dec 21, 2008 10:04 am

My sister has the book so I'll have to ask her. I don't see an attachment link here to attach a copy of the cover.
Book Lover

Postby Chris on Sun Dec 21, 2008 10:10 am

Hi,
That would be cool to see. ;-)
If you hit reply, you'll see two tabs - one "Options" and one "Upload Attachment". Click on the upload one and then "Choose File" and you can attach it there. ;-)

Does it look like the image below?

Chris

Book Lover wrote:My sister has the book so I'll have to ask her. I don't see an attachment link here to attach a copy of the cover.
Attachments
christmas1.jpg
Porter and Coates, brown calf stamped
christmas1.jpg (43.55 KiB) Viewed 6790 times
Chris

Postby Book Lover on Mon Dec 29, 2008 5:27 pm

It sure does! That's it so no need for me to upload it.... fun to see it again,

Marie
Book Lover

Postby Chris on Tue Dec 30, 2008 4:01 pm

Glad we identified it. ;-) There aren't many of them around as far as I know.

Chris

Book Lover wrote:It sure does! That's it so no need for me to upload it.... fun to see it again,

Marie
Chris

Postby ANGELPUGS on Sun Nov 29, 2009 6:12 pm

That is nice as my mom use to have it don't know what happened to it thanks it was nice to see.
fire10.gif
fire10.gif (44.13 KiB) Viewed 6216 times
ANGELPUGS

Postby Chris on Sun Nov 29, 2009 7:19 pm

ANGELPUGS wrote:That is nice as my mom use to have it don't know what happened to it thanks it was nice to see.
fire10.gif

Here are links to the full copies, if you want to look:

http://www.visitfromstnicholas.com/?px=%2F1883-1-97-Porter-Coates%2F&p=3

And more here:

http://www.visitfromstnicholas.com/
Chris

Postby clearlakehsorch on Fri Aug 13, 2010 7:34 pm

Hello,
I, too, have found a copy of the 1883 edition with, what I believe is the "Morocco Antique" binding. I don't think that the cover is salvageable but the pages are the the cleanest, most crisply engraved that I've seen. I would like to keep the book together but, with the cover in as bad a shape as it is, should I? Apparently, even the photo of the cover is too large to attach. If you have an alternate address, I'd be happy to send you the complete folder.

Cheers,
clearlakehsorch
clearlakehsorch

Postby Chris on Mon Sep 13, 2010 12:17 pm

Hi,
I think if you can keep it together, that is the best thing you can do.
If you want, drop me a PM on here and I'll send you my email.
Chris

clearlakehsorch wrote:Hello,
I, too, have found a copy of the 1883 edition with, what I believe is the "Morocco Antique" binding. I don't think that the cover is salvageable but the pages are the the cleanest, most crisply engraved that I've seen. I would like to keep the book together but, with the cover in as bad a shape as it is, should I? Apparently, even the photo of the cover is too large to attach. If you have an alternate address, I'd be happy to send you the complete folder.

Cheers,
clearlakehsorch
Chris

Postby Chris on Thu Sep 16, 2010 11:38 am

Yes, I see how bad the cover is. Whatever you do, keep the bad cover
with the rest of the book!

It is definitely a cool, very old, book!

Chris wrote:

clearlakehsorch wrote:Hello,

Cheers,
clearlakehsorch
Chris

Postby hijka on Sat Jul 14, 2012 3:06 am

Nice :)
hijka

Return to The Night Before Christmas Discussion