Where's the spirit?

Discussion of general Halloween topics
Sheila
Zombie
What is the highest number?: 9

Where's the spirit?

Post by Sheila » Wed Oct 04, 2006 4:29 pm

Hello Everyone. I have a major problem. Halloween is my absolute favorite holiday and this year I just can't seem to get in the mood! I am a full time college student and taking masters classes so I haven't had time to do some of the things I love to do in October (like take a nice long walk on a cool night). In fact, I haven't even had time to make a chili dinner or enjoy a cup of hot chocolate. I was going to have a Halloween party but I can't seem to get the time together to plan it. I am 21 now so I am thinking maybe it might be fun to go to a club or something, but I would rather have a party. Does anyone have any good ideas on how I could get into the spirit of Halloween? This week is super busy but I should have some time in the middle of the month. The problem is that half of October will be over by then! What would be good things I could start planning on doing now so that I will be ready to enjoy October when I have the time? Thanks everyone! :cry:

Spooky Sam
Crypt Keeper

Post by Spooky Sam » Wed Oct 04, 2006 5:47 pm

Well, you're here, so you've already made the first step :wink:
Do I SCARE you?

MWRuger
Vampire

Post by MWRuger » Wed Oct 04, 2006 7:00 pm

You might not have time to do a party but one of your buds is bound to. Try to conjole one of them into throwing a shindig. Heck, one of them might be planning to already.

If not, there will probably be something on campus to do. You could check one of those out.

You can also try doing something Halloweeny depending on what you like to do normally. If you like to read, read a creepy book. If movies do it for you, then there are plenty out there. I think you get the idea!

uncletor
Halloween Master

Post by uncletor » Wed Oct 04, 2006 8:16 pm

the trick in this case is that less is more.
Aim for the ONE special you really dug as a kid...or the ONE figure that if you put it out, will make you get into things..at my place, it's the Simpsons figures that came out a few years ago...Willie as the Grim Raker, Marge as a witch in front of a pot, Burns doing brain surgery..that kind of thing.
You may NOT be able to do a full fledged party..some years I can't..but you can still have some of your pals over for one or two Halloween faves..for me, a bare minimum one year was showing CARNIVAL OF SOULS to one new person...that WORKED..another year was showing one of the girls at work NIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD..explaining how DEVOTED the fan base was, telling her how touched Duane's Mom was when she got all the cards and letters saying how much they enjoyed her son's work after his heart attack..then the lady at work fiinding out just WHAT the movie was REALLY like..
where we go wrong is substituting a lot of things for meaningful things. Sometimes just a few biggies during a really hectic time can do all the work for you...
if it keeps getting busy, time it out..punch in some time for that walk, find five, ten mintues to go through your fave local costume store or Halloween supplier..it might be all it takes..say during lunch one day..
hope this helps..
Future events such as these will effect you in the future

MHooch
Halloween Master

Post by MHooch » Thu Oct 05, 2006 2:13 am

Sheila, sweetie, if there is one thing I have learned in my "old age" :? it's that life is too short. Yes, graduate school is important, and you are really busy. But you need to take (a little) time and nurture yourself, too. Take time to notice the smell of the fall leaves on your way to class or the library. Read this message board for just 5 minutes everyday. Get out a decoration that makes YOU happy. Watch a scary movie. uncletor is absolutely right, you don't need a big party...carve a pumpkin, light some candles,throw some chips in a bowl, buy some beer (you ARE 21, after all) and invite a few friends over for a movie...heck, invite them over to carve several pumpkins, then have a ceremonial lighting!! Keep checking back with us, we'll get you pumped up!! :D

Boo
Master Reaper

Post by Boo » Thu Oct 05, 2006 6:14 am

Hi

I've had similar problems in recent years with Christmas. The secret is not to try too hard and don't start too early. Wait for 1 week before or even a few days before and then block out your calendar and just go crazy for Halloween and indulge yourself in your favourite aspects of the tradition.

MichaelMyers
Haunt Master

Post by MichaelMyers » Thu Oct 05, 2006 9:56 pm

I find that buying a large bowl of Halloween Candy always seems to get me in the spirit!

LittleDollClaudia
Haunt Master

Post by LittleDollClaudia » Fri Oct 06, 2006 7:44 am

If you can buy a candle that has Halloween smells like pumpkin pie or cinnamon or candy corn. Put on some spooky music or sound effects and read something like The Headless Horseman or Edgar Allen Poe. A classic story and the sound of wind with a scent of Autumn works for me. Also hang up a few decorations that give you good memories by your bed. That way, it's the first thing you look at when you wake up. It will give you that happy feeling inside.
"I dress this way just to keep them at bay 'cause Halloween is every day."-Ministry

geekmidwinter
Haunt Master

Post by geekmidwinter » Fri Oct 06, 2006 9:34 am

I love this topic, it helps me so much, too. I have so much going on that I forget to stop and smell the pumpkins sometimes. MHooch, you are absolutely right, and LittleDollClaudia, that is a great idea, candles always help me, Yankee's Autumn Wreath or Wicked, or Pumpkin Pie are all excellent ones. Uncletor, your advice is great, too, I had to take some time out of my hectic schedule last weekend and go hang out with a buddy whose house is already all decorated awesome, and we were going to watch a few episodes of Dark Shadows. While we didn't get around to it, it definitely recharged my batteries, just taking the time and doing something that meant something to me.

Sheila, I've found that having silly things like the Halloweentown DVD's or The Great Pumpkin Charlie Brown playing in the background, even when I'm not 100% watching them helps, and the biggest help of all is this board. There are so many wonderful people here with wonderful ideas. No matter how busy I am at work, I always try to check in here a couple of times a day and it helps immensely. Good Luck, and I hope you find your spirit!
I saw a werewolf drinking a pina colada at Trader Vic's. His hair was perfect.

Sheila
Zombie

Post by Sheila » Thu Oct 12, 2006 9:54 am

I just wanted to say that I found something that really put me in the Halloween mood! It is Dreyer's pumpkin ice cream and it tastes just like pumpkin pie! I love it! Also, I have a four day weekend from school this week so I might get to do a corn maze and some pumpkin carving. I'm so excited I can hardly control myself :D
"I sense there's something in the wind..."

uncletor
Halloween Master

Post by uncletor » Thu Oct 12, 2006 11:13 am

Don;t forget to roast the seeds after..soooo good, and good for you..
Future events such as these will effect you in the future

MHooch
Halloween Master

Post by MHooch » Thu Oct 12, 2006 11:20 pm

I'm so glad, sweetie, you have FUN!!!