Favorite Crafts

What crafts do you like to do for Christmas?

Favorite Crafts

Postby xwintermagic on Thu Sep 28, 2006 5:27 am

well I just like to make paper snowflakes and hang them in my room. oh and I make Christmas cards for everyone instead of buying them. what kinds of crafts do all of you do?
xwintermagic

Postby santacla on Thu Sep 28, 2006 12:30 pm

It isn't really a craft, per say, but I like baking a nice Apple Pie for Christmas!
santacla
Site Admin

Postby christmasdiva on Sat Sep 30, 2006 9:13 am

Making your own snowflakes sounds like fun. Wintermagic, could you possibly give me some tips on what you used and how you did it?

Santacla, a nice, warm homemade (or store bought, whatever you prefer)pie sounds delicious. I plan on making on from scratch and just in case I don't feel like making it when the time comes, I have two Sara Lee pies in my freezer.
christmasdiva

building a gingerbread house

Postby SantaByMail on Wed Oct 04, 2006 2:00 pm

I've only done this once, but I really liked building a gingerbread house. I just love gingerbread men...I have tons of them included in my Christmas decorations. I bought one of those kits at Michael's, but you definitely want to buy some additional candy to really snazz it up.

We usually make an ornament every year, too. It's a different one each year.
SantaByMail

Postby xwintermagic on Mon Oct 09, 2006 10:48 pm

yes pies for Christmas and gingerbreadmen/houses are really good ideas. baking is so fun during the holidays since it's so cold and you have the oven's warmth.

oh and for the paper snowflakes it's pretty hard to explain but I use paper lol and tape and staples and scissors. these snowflakes are really special to me.
-- wintermagic
xwintermagic

Re: building a gingerbread house

Postby snowydevil on Thu Nov 09, 2006 5:42 pm

SantaByMail wrote:I've only done this once, but I really liked building a gingerbread house. I just love gingerbread men...I have tons of them included in my Christmas decorations. I bought one of those kits at Michael's, but you definitely want to buy some additional candy to really snazz it up.

We usually make an ornament every year, too. It's a different one each year.

are those kits any good? it hink thats something i might want to do this year...cheer this xmas up

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dllVie ... 0046325339
snowydevil

Postby Jack Frost on Thu Aug 09, 2007 12:19 pm

We like to save the Christams cards we receive from the previous year and then glue them together in a big collage. Then we cut out the shapes of crowns and the family writes down what they got for Christmas that year. We then hang them from strings for the Feast of the Epiphany on Jan 6, when they usually get a little something else from my wife and I. And the following year we can pull out those crowns to remind oursleves what we received as gifts and how blessed we are.
Jack Frost

Re: Favorite Crafts

Postby The Dentist on Fri Oct 03, 2008 5:30 pm

Get oranges from the market (or from a tree if you have them), poke and place whole cloves all around the orange, cover the orange with colored netting (green, red, gold looks really pretty) and tie with a pretty bow. These make great teacher gifts and smell great. My kids really enjoy making these and it is not messy and does not require the hot glue gun.;-)
The Dentist

Postby Chris on Mon Oct 06, 2008 12:54 pm

I have never done this, do you do it very often? So, it is just an orange with some decorations?

I am sure that teachers like this and other gifts that they can use without having to find a place to store a knickknack. ;-)

The Dentist wrote:Get oranges from the market (or from a tree if you have them), poke and place whole cloves all around the orange, cover the orange with colored netting (green, red, gold looks really pretty) and tie with a pretty bow. These make great teacher gifts and smell great. My kids really enjoy making these and it is not messy and does not require the hot glue gun.;-)
Chris

Postby Andybev01 on Fri Nov 07, 2008 5:21 pm

Oh yeah, gotta make at least one paper cut-out snowflake!

I also make origami stars. The technique is complicated but I've making them for 30 years (I can't believe it's been so long!)

If you know origami, this is based on the sunken bird base...

This one is 3" from tip to tip across the horizontal middle. I used silver-backed foil paper (yes, I keep origami paper at work :oops: )
Attachments
8-point origami star 002.JPG
8-point origami star 002.JPG (214.91 KiB) Viewed 4853 times
"What if Christmas, he thought, doesn't come from a store. What if Christmas, perhaps, means a little bit more."
Dr. Seuss
Andybev01

Postby Fancy_May555 on Thu Nov 27, 2008 12:34 am

I also like sending Xmas cards to family and friends. Each holiday I bought many new templates from ArcSoft and printed out, or just order some print gifts. Expecting their Xmas discount this year :mrgreen:
Fancy_May555

Postby AinsleyKath on Thu Dec 04, 2008 5:05 am

The Dentist wrote:Get oranges from the market (or from a tree if you have them), poke and place whole cloves all around the orange, cover the orange with colored netting (green, red, gold looks really pretty) and tie with a pretty bow. These make great teacher gifts and smell great. My kids really enjoy making these and it is not messy and does not require the hot glue gun.;-)

great, well i will do the same thing with yellow lemon to use it as an ornaments for my christmas tree..
AinsleyKath

Return to Christmas Crafts