1 teaspoon double-acting baking powder

1 teaspoon salt

1/2 teaspoon soda

2 teaspoons ground ginger

2 teaspoons ground cinnamon

3/4 cup dark brown sugar

1 large egg

Instructions

Heat molasses in a saucepan large enough for mixing cookies. Remove from heat and stir in butter or margarine. Cool.

Sift together the next 6 ingredients, add brown sugar, and mix well. Stir into the molasses and butter mixture. Add egg and mix well. Chill 1 to2 hours or until dough is stiff enough to roll.

Divide dough in half. Roll each half 1/8 to 1/4 inch thick on a lightly floured board, chilling the second half while the first half is being rolled and cut.

Use a gingerbread-man cooky cutter dipped in flour. Place on lightly greased cooky sheets. Decorate in gingerbread-man fashion with raisings or currants or, if desired, wait until cookies are baked and cooled and then decorate with frosting.

Bake in a preheated moderate oven (350 degrees F.) 12 to 15 minutes or until lightly browned around the edges. Cool on wire racks. Store airtight.

Yield: about 16 gingerbread men
-- wintermagic
xwintermagic

Postby GreenElf on Mon Oct 16, 2006 1:28 pm

Thats sounds soooooo good. I bet it makes a house smell great and cozy. Thanks I will try this one for sure.
GreenElf

Re: Gingerbread Men

Postby The Dentist on Fri Oct 03, 2008 5:41 pm

I have used this recipe before and I will using it again this year. It does make the house smell really good and it is fun to have the kids help. I find that gingerbread men (the prep, the baking, the decorating) is an all afternoon affair so it is best to do it when you have no where else to go and no company (that you have to clean up for) coming over. :)
The Dentist

Re: Gingerbread Men

Postby Chris on Mon Oct 06, 2008 12:46 pm

I have not made gingerbread men from scratch yet, but I do cakes, pies and cookies. I think Christmas cookies will be first and then we could tackle the gingerbread.

The Dentist wrote:I have used this recipe before and I will using it again this year. It does make the house smell really good and it is fun to have the kids help. I find that gingerbread men (the prep, the baking, the decorating) is an all afternoon affair so it is best to do it when you have no where else to go and no company (that you have to clean up for) coming over. :)
Chris

Return to Holiday Recipes