>100
26%

Total votes: 57

mandy0221
Halloween Master
What is the highest number?: 9

Trick-or-Treating out of style?

Post by mandy0221 » Tue Aug 15, 2006 11:12 am

I LOVE LOVE LOVE Halloween and find that every year the number of trick or treaters in my neighborhood dwindles down. Last year we may have topped out at around 10 kids. Back 5 years ago it was around 100 to 150 kids. I live in the suburbs (Louisville, KY) but find that trick or treating at the zoo and mall are just becoming the "safer" choice for parents to make.

Is anyone else noticing this trend. How can we stop it? : (

midnight kitty
Haunt Master

Post by midnight kitty » Mon Aug 21, 2006 8:39 am

itrick or treating's still pretty big here (poconos pa). unfortunately, almost all the haunted houses were closed down. we would havge at least 10 every year, but now there's nothing
trick or treat

MHooch
Halloween Master

Post by MHooch » Mon Aug 28, 2006 3:08 pm

Yeah, our TOT's are dwindling, too. The mall, local fire houses, etc are all in competition with door-to-door. Maybe parents are getting more paranoid. Sad, because one of my favorite parts of Halloween is the look on the TOT's faces when I answer the door in some creepy costume! Priceless!

BlackCat
Haunt Master

Post by BlackCat » Mon Aug 28, 2006 9:02 pm

We get tons of kids every year. Even after the alotted trick-or-treat time is over, tons of kids still make their way to our house. I think it's cuz we give great candy and so much of it.

Pennywise11
Halloween Master

Post by Pennywise11 » Wed Aug 30, 2006 2:04 pm

I don't get very many trick or treaters at my house as I live outside of town where the main population is. I enjoy living in a wooded area and waterfront but the downside is the lack of Halloween activity. I decorate my house to the brim but not many even get to see it except for people that come to my parties... Oh well it is fun doing it.

A friend of mine that lives about 15 mins away in the centre of town has 150 plus of mosters on October 31. I always bring my children in to their house on Halloween night so do the footwork, see all the little moster kiddies and enjoy showing off my own costume. Good times...
1, 2, Freddy's Coming For You 3, 4, Better Lock Your Door 5, 6, Grab A Crucifix 7, 8, Better Stay Up Late 9, 10, Never Sleep Again

BlkAsH
Crypt Keeper

Post by BlkAsH » Thu Aug 31, 2006 4:51 am

I've lived various places but in general I'd say we never had all that many trick-or-treaters. I think parents just don't want their kids out running around all over various neighborhoods these days. It's sad that kids can't enjoy Halloween the old fashioned way and instead go to the mall for TOT-ing. Or perhaps adults are just getting lazy and figure they can drop their kids off at the Mall for an hour and not have to drive all over and spend time walking from one house to another? Who knows... all I know is that it sucks that it seems that trick-or-treating is becoming a thing of the past, at least what I grew up with anyhow.

midnight kitty
Haunt Master

Post by midnight kitty » Thu Aug 31, 2006 1:05 pm

my kid gets to go tot 3 times a yr.
the mall

my sister-in-law's private community. tot there is always the sunday before halloween. don't know why, but oh well

the neighborhood on halloween night.

imagine the candy we get :P
trick or treat

darkshadow
Zombie

Post by darkshadow » Sat Sep 09, 2006 9:15 pm

I live on a busy road, so nobody comes to my house. I go to my friend's neighborhood behind us where this is tons, and we hang out there!

tantraman
Halloween Master
What is the highest number?: 10992

Post by tantraman » Thu Sep 14, 2006 10:29 am

I am usually a loner and try to get the job done. I have had 3 pillowcases full before.
happy happy halloween silver shamrock.

Please check out our new horror movie blog check our the first post on our new horror movie blog https://horrormoviehallofflames.wordpress.com/

LittleDollClaudia
Haunt Master

Post by LittleDollClaudia » Sun Sep 17, 2006 7:48 am

Also I believe it has a lot to do with what night Halloween falls on, this year it is on a Tues. So not a lot of late nighters, I am guessing. But we'll see. Now the thing is to have a party to keep the kids safe. :SIGHS: I understand it but I miss the hordes descending.
"I dress this way just to keep them at bay 'cause Halloween is every day."-Ministry

Evan
Vampire

Post by Evan » Sun Oct 01, 2006 12:40 pm

We usually get about 25.

autumn
Vampire

Post by autumn » Wed Oct 04, 2006 1:04 am

I remember as a kid, there were so many kids out trick or treating. Then as the years went by, it seemed like less and less kids were going. It is so depressing to see some streets with only like 1 or 2 porch lights on. :( In my neighborhood, some years there are not that many trick or treaters and then other years where there will be quite a few.

ZOMBIES!!!
Zombie

Post by ZOMBIES!!! » Wed Oct 04, 2006 10:28 am

This will be our (me and my fiancee) halloween in our new house, I'm hoping for a lot of ToTers. I was talking to a neighbor, he leaves around the corner on a busy street, he said he doesn't get too many, but he also doesn't put lights on so...My house is all decorated, lights and everything and we live on a nice quiet street, so i'm hoping we have more kids.

MHooch
Halloween Master

Post by MHooch » Thu Oct 05, 2006 2:46 am

Definitely leave the porch light on, even if you think it ruins the ambiance. I learned that lesson the hard way one year, had hardly any TOTers because the porch light took away from the spooky lighting we had going on, so I turned it off. And wear a costume, the kids LOVE it!! Hope you get lots, it's so much fun to see all the costumes. :lol:

LittleDollClaudia
Haunt Master

Post by LittleDollClaudia » Thu Oct 05, 2006 5:01 am

If you have a sound effects cd playing, kids will come by if you don't have the porch light on. Or if your pumpkin is still lit, they have come to my house. So I have to remember to blow it out when we are done for the night or they will keep showing up.
"I dress this way just to keep them at bay 'cause Halloween is every day."-Ministry