Poltergeist

Talk about television shows, movies, music and more!
BlackCat
Haunt Master

Poltergeist

Post by BlackCat » Thu Oct 05, 2006 12:00 am

I saw this when I was a kid. It scared the <deleted> outta me but became one of my favorite movies to watch on Halloween.

I saw a True Hollywood Story on this film on E!. They said they found out that the skeletons and bodies they used for props in the movie turned out to be real. Some of the cast members also believe that the film was cursed.

Anyone else like this one?

MWRuger
Vampire
What is the highest number?: 9

Post by MWRuger » Thu Oct 05, 2006 12:39 am

Yes! Another of my favorites, but mainly because of Steven Spielberg’s touch. He had such a great knack for directing kids back in the late 70’s and early 80’s. Nice creepy clown and I get absolutely get creeped out by the end credits. Basically, they play Carol Ann’s theme over the credits and at the very end there is some very unsettling kid laughter.

Brrr!

Apparently when the score was being recorded and they had finished the take, Jerry Goldsmith wrapped it up and the kid’s choir started laughing and the recorder was still running. They liked it so much they left it in. Serendipity huh?

uncletor
Halloween Master

Post by uncletor » Thu Oct 05, 2006 12:41 am

Great great film, Tobe Hooper was able to scare you, even with Big Stephen Spielberg looking over his shoulder...
but the film wasn't cursed...and the bodies weren't real. The picture was union made, and had a special effects team...THEY made the bodies..and like the folks who check out sets to make sure that 'no animals were hurt during this production', there are people who would have been all over the set if someone had even breathed REAL BODY out loud.
Actually, the closest I ever heard was a carnival that wound up with the mummified body of a wild west gunslinger and didn't KNOW it..
The four deaths that happened to the cast of the movie were complications from the flu, a murder, and two people who passed after illnesses..Craig T. Nelson went on to make a lot of money and fame from the t.v. series COACH, so that pretty much blows that theory out of the water too...
Naw, sit back and enjoy it...it's all good harmless fun..or as Bart Simpson says in the Tree House of Horror:"Indian burial ground?!?! This house has EVERYTHING!!"
Future events such as these will effect you in the future

MHooch
Halloween Master

Post by MHooch » Thu Oct 05, 2006 2:50 am

I was just listening to some mood music last night while I was working on my Spooky Village, and "Carol's theme" came on...nice shiver. :shock:

ZOMBIES!!!
Zombie

Post by ZOMBIES!!! » Thu Oct 05, 2006 8:13 am

great movie, one of my favs. What other movie could make the star spangle banner creepy?

midnight kitty
Haunt Master

Post by midnight kitty » Thu Oct 05, 2006 9:23 am

i absolutely love that movie. the children singing at the end always sends shivers down my spine. it's way too creepy.
i still can't believe the movie was only rated pg. the scene where he peels off his face should have given it a pg-13 rating.
i remember when i 1st saw it, my parents didn't know anything about the movie (why this was? i have no idea) they just saw that it was a pg rating and it couldn't be too scary, they were wrong.
then again these are the same people who let my watch friday the 13th as a toddler (my 1st memory)
i love my parents
trick or treat

MWRuger
Vampire

Post by MWRuger » Thu Oct 05, 2006 11:10 am

They didn't have PG-13 yet. That rating was invented to deal with the fallout from Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom which some people that was too intense for young kids.

The only choice the MPAA had was R or PG. AS blinkered as they are even they couldn't see Poltergeist as an R so PG it was

Halloween the 13th
Zombie

Post by Halloween the 13th » Thu Oct 05, 2006 10:52 pm

Love this film. Great place to start as far as with young kids. One of my fondest and scariest memories as a child.
The 13 days of Halloween was my idea!!! My idea I say!!!

LittleDollClaudia
Haunt Master

Post by LittleDollClaudia » Fri Oct 06, 2006 7:20 am

Eech, where my fear of clowns came from. It is a great movie besides that issue. Saw it when I was about 9 and damn I hate clowns now. :shudder: And of course it was when we were building our pool in the backyard. It took a long time before I would swim alone or at night.
"I dress this way just to keep them at bay 'cause Halloween is every day."-Ministry