Christmas Goose

Share your recipes and cooking tips!

Christmas Goose

Postby Holly Cl'Oz on Sun Nov 04, 2007 4:16 pm

I'm not a great cook. Hamburger Helper is pretty much what I can manage. So my other half comes up with the brilliant idea of goose. You've got to be kidding me. So I get online and do some searches and I found a recipe that's over 100 years old. It was intimidating, it took a long time, but I've made it twice so far and I swear it's the best meal I've ever had. Some people have trouble with goose but if you do it right, it's sooooo delicious. I'm hoping to do it again this year. If anyone wants to try it I'd be happy to post the recipe. It is a lot of work but once the goose hits your palate you know it was worth it.

Have Yourself a Merry Little Christm'oz
Holly Cl'Oz

Postby Big Steve on Sun Nov 04, 2007 10:55 pm

Hi Holly,

Here is a recipe for Martha Washington's Great Cake. I watched a food network show with the cook staff at the Mount Vernon estate recreating Martha's cake right in the General's original kitchen. It sounds really like it is a huge cake so maybe reduce the add-ins to scale of a regular cake pan.

Here it is!!!

Bake onward toward Christmas, for we are a new nation!!!!!!!!!!

And let me know if you could, how it tastes.

Welcome to the board!!!!!

Big Steve

http://www.mountvernon.org/learn/explor ... m/pid/289/

Martha Washington's Great Cake

(One of Mrs. Washington's favorite recipes)

Take 40 eggs and divide the whites from the yolks and beat them to a froth. Then work 4 pounds of butter to a cream and put the whites of eggs to it a Spoon full at a time till it is well work'd. Then put 4 pounds of sugar finely powdered to it in the same manner then put in the Yolks of eggs and 5 pounds of flour and 5 pounds of fruit. 2 hours will bake it. Add to it half an ounce of mace and nutmeg half a pint of wine and some fresh brandy.

Notes on making Martha Washington's Great Cake:

In making the great cake, Mount Vernon's curatorial staff followed Mrs. Washington's recipe almost exactly. Where the recipe called for 5 pounds of fruit, without specifying which ones, 2 pounds of raisins, 1 pound of currants, and 2 pounds of apples were used. The wine used was cream sherry. Since no pan large enough was available to hold all the batter, two 14 layers were made and stacked (note: the original was one single tall layer). The layers were baked in a 350 degree oven for 1.5 hours. Should be iced with a very stiff egg-white based icing, flavored with rosewater or orange-flower water.
Big Steve

Postby kallie0509 on Tue Nov 06, 2007 8:44 pm

oh i've never had goose. what does it taste like? how's the texture? is it expensive? can you find it at any grocery store? sorry for so many questions, but i love to cook and it would be really cool and new to cook a goose!
kallie0509

Postby Big Steve on Tue Nov 06, 2007 11:05 pm

Hi,

If you love to cook......oh boy.......you will fall in love with this Ebay link.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... =WDVW&rd=1

It is for a One Million Recipe CD. My wife and I use this all the time. Believe me when the title says one million recipes, there really and honestly are one million recipes in this CD. What a time saver it has been for us. It is really easy to use and has literally everything in it...goose included. I tried to check how many recipes included goose but I lost count and just gave up there were that many there.

Goose is really good, kind of expensive but has a slight gamey aftertaste. We had it at a friends house, but only once. I am sure this CD will have a few thousand recipes for you to go through.

Merry!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Big Steve
Big Steve

Postby Holly Cl'Oz on Tue Nov 06, 2007 11:45 pm

My Goose wasn't gamey at all. To me it tasted like a cross between the dark meat on turkey and pot roast and it was sooo delicious. I couldn't believe something so divine came out of my oven! I was wrong about the age of the recipe too. It is Old World Roast Goose with Potato Stuffing and it's supposed to be an authentic 18th century English dish and it's remained unchanged for over 300 years. Historically, pretty cool. And yummy. But you are right about the expense. It's a 'lil spendy, but I really felt it was worth it.

Holly Cl'Oz

Recipe from recipezaar

Postby Holly Cl'Oz on Thu Nov 29, 2007 7:26 pm

Old World Roast Goose With Potato Stuffing

Recipe #102706

this Recipe is an AUTHENTIC 18th century English dish, normally reserved for hollidays. unlike most recipes that get changed over the yrs to improve flavour or apperance, this one has held steady for over 300 yrs,.. very simple to make,follow it exactly, and enjoy the strong aromatic smells that will fill your kitchen..a good stout beer goes great with this dish

by fstwrtr

3 hours 30 min prep

Change to: servings US Metric

1 large goose

6 slices salt pork

1 cup water

1 tablespoon salt

1 tablespoon pepper

stuffing

2 cups hot mashed potatoes

1 cup whole wheat breadcrumbs

1/4 cup salt pork

1 teaspoon onion juice

1/4 cup butter

1 teaspoon salt

1/2 teaspoon sage

1 egg

Not the one? See other Old World Roast Goose With Potato Stuffing Recipes

< 4 hours

Goose

Holiday/Event

wash the goose thoroughly in cold water and wipe dry.

salt and pepper outside of goose.

begin assembling your stuffing.

hot mashed potatoes.

butter.

egg.

salt.

onion juice.

sage.

crumbs pork.

mix thoroughly.

stuff goose with stuffing mix and truss.

pin pork strips to breast of goose with tooth picks.

place goose breast up in broiler pan.

add water to bottom of pan.

place in a preheated 350 degree oven for 2 1/2 hours.

remove pork strips for for the last 30 min of cooking.

As you can see there's lots of prep time and I get a big-ish goose so the cooking time is around 7 hours. It's literally an all day thing and you have to tend to it constantly. I double the mashed potato stuffing too. A lot of work but when that first bite hits, you know it was more than worth it.

Holly Cl'Oz

Postby kallie0509 on Thu Nov 29, 2007 7:54 pm

what exactly does it mean when people say that duck and goose can taste gamey? i don't really understand what this means. :?:
kallie0509

Postby Ol' Black Pete on Thu Nov 29, 2007 9:21 pm

"Gamey", as I've always understood it, means that the meat is a bit chewier and tents to smell more.... hmm... tainted, than other fowl. Goose and Duck taste sweeter than Chicken and Turkey but, I guess you could say they smell comparatively more sour.
Ol' Black Pete

Postby kallie0509 on Thu Nov 29, 2007 9:33 pm

oh....eww, i don't know if i will be cooking duck now. :lol: i googled the topic and someone said that gamey can mean that it tastes like liver. if so, i will not be cooking duck for sure, because liver is so disgusting. it makes me think of eating a brain and it tastes so metallic! i guess i will give it a try, but i think that i'll also prepare cornish game hen incase it's too gross.
kallie0509

Postby Ol' Black Pete on Thu Nov 29, 2007 9:35 pm

THERE ya go!!!!!! Duck tastes like cornish game hen!!!! :D :D :D
Ol' Black Pete

Postby kallie0509 on Thu Nov 29, 2007 10:48 pm

ok, thats reassuring! :D
kallie0509

Return to Holiday Recipes