It's a Wonderful Christmas

Books, poems, stories and other tales!

Postby Ol' Black Pete on Thu Nov 22, 2007 6:02 pm

It's a Wonderful Christmas - The Best of the Holidays 1940 -1965 by Susan Waggoner.

I love this book and it's not only a great and endearing read but it makes a nice table decoration, unto itself. it's chock-full of beautiful, full-color memorabilia. Ads, toys, postcards, food and lots of comparative prices from the time.

The inside cover reads:

Christmas has always been special. But the Christmases during and after World War II were just a little more special. Men stationed on palm-covered islands dreamed of snowmen and winter wonderlands. Home front families looked forward to the day when "home for keeps" would be a reality. And when that day finally came, the celebration was enormous. Christmas acquired a jubilant glow, a festive lavishness that persists to this day. From toy catalogs to Bubbler lights to Rudolph's bright red nose, a vast number of today's traditions date back to that special time. Bursting with visual icons and images, trimmed with sparkling and informative text, It's a Wonderful Christmas celebrats the era in high style. If you've ever wondered how the tradition of department store Santa's got started, or what the all-time most popular Christmas song is, this is the place to look.

It's a Wonderful Christmas is for everyone who loves Christmas---and for everyone whom, "happy holidays" conjures memories of home movies, "The Chipmunk Song", glittering store windows, and Santa relaxing with and ice cold Coca-Cola. A must have to treasure, now and for years to come.

That about says it all!!!!!!

Check it out here....

Ol' Black Pete

Postby kallie0509 on Fri Nov 23, 2007 3:55 am

oh that book sounds lovely. :D sometimes i think that i was born in the wrong time. i love to think about how simple life used to be in america. it makes me sad to think that things are so different now. they have definately changed for the worse in my opinion. i'm just so old fashioned! :P i wish i could have experienced those things, or maybe i did...in a past life.
kallie0509

Postby Wenceslaus on Tue Nov 27, 2007 9:27 pm

Thanks for introducing that book, OBP. Looks like a keeper. I love Christmas anthologies. And if I had a chance to spend a few months living in an earlier time in U.S. history, it would be circa 1947, with the war over, our boys back home and going to college on the G.I. Bill, near full employment, and plenty of post-war prosperity. The clothes, the movies, the radio shows
Wenceslaus

Postby Christmas Knight on Wed Nov 28, 2007 6:51 am

What an excellent period in American History. I must get a copy of this book. Thanks OBP :D
Christmas Knight

Postby Ol' Black Pete on Wed Nov 28, 2007 1:13 pm

Hey, and seaking of radio shows.... every year around Christmas, I love getting out my Jack Benny collection..... I have on 9 CDs in MP3 every Jack Benny show broadcast on the radio. A few years ago, I put all the Christmas episodes on one CD. VEEEEEEERY cool!!!! I can listen to that stuff for hours!!!
Ol' Black Pete

Postby Ol' Black Pete on Wed Nov 28, 2007 1:31 pm

You should also check out these other books by Susan Waggoner. I particularly like the one about Classic Household Hints. We ARE talkin' Americana the Beautiful!
Ol' Black Pete

Postby Holly Cl'Oz on Wed Nov 28, 2007 5:41 pm

Ol' Black Pete wrote:You should also check out these other books by Susan Waggoner. I particularly like the one about Classic Household Hints. We ARE talkin' Americana the Beautiful!

oooooooh, that hurts my feelings.

Have Yourself a Merry Little Christm'oz
Holly Cl'Oz

Postby Ol' Black Pete on Thu Nov 29, 2007 3:26 am

Oh Hummy.... That's not about yoooou! It's about the postcard on the fridge and Mom's Better Homes and Gardens and Ladies Home Journal's. It's about what I grew up with.
Ol' Black Pete

Postby airhead on Tue Dec 11, 2007 12:30 pm

Looks like a fun book.
airhead

Return to Christmas Literature