The Christmas Tree Ship

Books, poems, stories and other tales!

The Christmas Tree Ship

Postby Holly Cl'Oz on Sun Nov 04, 2007 3:51 pm

This is the touchng true story of "Captain Santa" Captain Herman Schuenemann who risked and ultimately gave his life to spread Christmas joy. True, at the time of his last voyage he was in dire need of money but in my heart I truly believe his main motivation was to make sure there were Christmas trees for all who desired them. The books I read were The Historic Christmas Tree Ship by Rochelle M. Pennington and the children's version The Christmas Tree Ship: The Story of Captain Santa by the same author. Every year the weather channel shows the story of the Christmas Tree Ship and it's well worth your time. I always end up in tears.

Have Yourself a Merry Little Christm'oz
Holly Cl'Oz

Postby Wenceslaus on Tue Nov 27, 2007 10:00 pm

Growing up on Lake Michigan's Wisconsin shore, I read about the Christmas tree ship's sorry fate. A touching story, but depressing. Sank the same year as the Titanic.
Wenceslaus

Postby Ol' Black Pete on Wed Nov 28, 2007 1:01 am

Those things are true Wence, yes. But you can't forget what an inspiring story it really is. If the Rouse Simmons hadn't gone down the whole story may have been completely lost to the annals of time.

Capt. Schuenamann is a true legend of generosity and I believe holds a special place in heaven.
Ol' Black Pete

Postby Wenceslaus on Wed Nov 28, 2007 11:55 am

From the Weather Channel:
"The Christmas Tree Ship" episode of Storm Stories will be rebroadcast on Christmas Day (Tuesday, December 25th) at 2pm ET. This special is a sixty minute episode.
Wenceslaus

Postby kallie0509 on Wed Nov 28, 2007 12:30 pm

oh, my, i just read the story from the link that wence gave us. what a touching story! and a good man.
kallie0509

Return to Christmas Literature