The Polar Express

Talk about movies, television shows and music!

The Polar Express

Postby Ol' Black Pete on Tue Nov 20, 2007 8:01 pm

I first heard of this story about ten years ago when I heard it read on the Mark & Brian Christmas Show. I think it was Betty White who got up on stage and read the book. I was mesmerized. I went and read the book myself and was so enchanted with the story and the illustrations.

When there was finally talk about a movie I got very excited.... That was until I saw the trailer. It just somehow looked phoney to me. I didn't see it in the theater for that reason. I thought, they RUINED this wonderful story.

The next year when it came out on DVD I finally gave in. It took a little while to get used to the type of CGI but, once I did, I really loved it.

Well last night we watched it for the third year in a row and I tell ya.... It's just BEAUtiful!!!!!

We love it and if you haven't seen it yet, you MUST!!!!!

I BELIEVE!!!!!!!!
Ol' Black Pete

Postby kallie0509 on Tue Nov 20, 2007 8:31 pm

that's weird that you mention it. i'm watching it right now!
kallie0509

Postby squarejelly on Tue Nov 20, 2007 8:55 pm

I saw that in the theater but it wasn't why we went there. The person that I went with and I were dropped off over 2 hours early for the movie we were going there to see at this some what little theater and some guy that worked there saw us just sitting there waiting and told us to go see another movie. Since we didn't want to get in trouble by someone else we went into the closest movie and it turned out to be this movie. We were going to see a scary movie so this was nothing like what we were planning to see but it turned out to be a pretty good movie.
squarejelly

Postby Christmas Knight on Tue Nov 20, 2007 10:10 pm

Haven't seen it yet, but it's on my list.
Christmas Knight

Postby Holly Cl'Oz on Wed Nov 21, 2007 5:52 am

Don't like the way it's filmed at aaaaaaaall, but the story is so lovely I can overlook that. We'll probably end up watching it again before Christmas. It's just enchanting.

Have Yourself a Merry Little Christm'oz
Holly Cl'Oz

Postby Silver Belle on Wed Nov 21, 2007 7:30 am

This IS a beautiful story and movie...I've only had the chance to see it once, but we have it here at the house and the kids will enjoy it much more this year now that they're a little older, I think. We'll break it out soon.
'In the air there's a feeling of Christmas...'
Silver Belle

Postby kallie0509 on Wed Nov 21, 2007 10:20 pm

just curious, why was the train conducter such a jerk to the kids and what did the tickets mean? when he punched 'LEAD' into the little girl's ticket?
kallie0509

Postby Ol' Black Pete on Thu Nov 22, 2007 2:33 am

kallie0509 wrote:just curious, why was the train conducter such a jerk to the kids and what did the tickets mean? when he punched 'LEAD' into the little girl's ticket?

I didn't see him as being such a jerk as much as he was sincere and forthright. He had a job to do and he wanted to present the facts and let the children make up their own minds. I think if he had been a persuasive character, it would have made the kids look as though they might have been pressured. They needed to WANT to get on that train and see the whole thing through by their own volition.

The words punched in the tickets revealed something about each childs character. The 'Hero' girl was bright, adventurous and unafraid of getting to the bottom of things. She inately showed a propencity to 'lead' and sometimes one just needs to be reminded of one attributes.

The know-it-all kid needed to be reminded that it's ok that he not know EVERYthing. As soon as you think that you lose the ability to 'LEARN'. He realized his mistake in seeing four letters when there were

I really five. His saying, "My mistake" was the first step in his new direction.

TRUST

BELIEVE

Things that, at times, we all need to be reminded of doing.

Here's something......

What would your ticket have read?

I think mine might have said either, Confidence or Courage. Things I sometime lack when it comes to following through with things that I know to be true or just. Or perhaps my ticket may have said, FOCUS which is something else I often times lack......

You know it took me about a half an hour to write this.
Ol' Black Pete

Postby kallie0509 on Thu Nov 22, 2007 7:35 am

oh thanks OBP, i'll have to go back and watch it again, because i really thought that the conducter was kind of mean, but now i do see that it was the childrens choice.

i think my ticket would read 'wise' or 'curious' because i ask a crap load of questions all the time about anything and everything and i love to learn new things and new words, sometimes i sit and look at the dictionary for new words that i can use. i love words! i do feel that i am a step above others my age, intuitively. i feel that there is something inside me that makes me special and different than others. :D
kallie0509

Postby airhead on Fri Nov 23, 2007 3:52 pm

It's a fun movie.
airhead

Re: The Polar Express

Postby Mayhem on Thu Dec 04, 2008 1:12 pm

Its a beautiful movie. I watched it will my friends on a DVD and all of us just loved it.
Mayhem

Postby saramitch85 on Wed Dec 10, 2008 3:30 pm

I love this movie, I think this is a great movie for the family.
saramitch85

Postby ANGELPUGS on Thu Oct 01, 2009 11:40 am

It is a very wonderful movie i had to buy it as we all liked it,it's been a part of our christmas every year.As white christmas is a part of our home also,we watch it a couple of times especially on christmas eve. :)
ANGELPUGS

Postby Thom on Mon Oct 12, 2009 7:40 pm

I enjoyed The Polar Express. While at times the animation came off a little unsettling (I think it was something in the eyes of the characters :shock: ), on the whole as people have mentioned it just looked gorgeous. It was also good to see Hollywood putting out a Christmas family film. Not much in the way of new entries for this category so I guess we've got to take what we can!
Thom

Return to Holiday Entertainment