Does your obsession get worse every year?

Discussion of general Halloween topics
MHooch
Halloween Master
What is the highest number?: 9

Post by MHooch » Sun Sep 24, 2006 9:36 pm

HOSGAARA: welcome to the board, but you don't need to shout, we'll listen!

Requiem62
Ghost

Post by Requiem62 » Sun Sep 24, 2006 11:23 pm

I've been in love with the celebration of Halloween as far back as I can remember. It's certainly one of the most widely celebrated holidays in the World. No matter what race, religion or background, people get into this festival of life and death.

I always wondered why this can't be declared an actual holiday, one that we can all have the day off and celebrate. It's one that a large amount of our population enjoys without and religious stigma attached, yet it is something we're afraid to acknowledge as an official holiday.

Anyhoo, day off or not, I will continue to enjoy my favorite holiday and spread the incredible atmosphere to whomever enters my yard. :twisted:

-Req
Halloween... the festival of Samhain. The last great one took place three thousand years ago, when the hills ran red...

BlackCat
Haunt Master

Post by BlackCat » Mon Sep 25, 2006 10:25 am

Well said Requiem62 ! I mean alot of people celebrate Christmas without linking it to Christanity so why not make Halloween a holiday! That would be wonderful!

HOSGAARA
Crypt Keeper

Post by HOSGAARA » Mon Sep 25, 2006 6:52 pm

THANK YOU MANDY0221 I HOPE I WILL ARE YOU GUYS LIKE AN ALL YEAR AROUND THING OR JUST HALLOWEEN PEOPLE LIKE DO YALL LIKE DO DIFFERENT STUFF LIKE 4TH OF JULY OR NEW YEAR? MY COUSIN JUST TOLD ME ABOUT THIS SITE YESTERDAY. I HAVENT SEEN ANYBODY FROM MISSISSIPPI YET ON HERE? I HOPE SOMEONE WILL ANSWER THIS QUESTIONS MY PARENTS WONT I DONT KNOW WHICH COSTUME TO WEAR: EVIL PIXIE, GOTH RAGGITY ANN DOLL, PUNK/GOTH PIXIE, OR GOTH/PUNK BALLERINA? PLEASE SOME ONE HELP ME TO DESIDDE!!!! :twisted: :) :(
HOLY JOHNY CHRIST IMMA SEE EM IN NO TIME!!!

IF ANY ONE KNOS WAT IM TALKING ABOUT MESSAGE ME!!!!

geekmidwinter
Haunt Master

Post by geekmidwinter » Mon Sep 25, 2006 9:16 pm

I mostly feel sorry for the children. As adults, we can make our own decisions about what and how to celebrate, but there is an entire generation of children who will never know the carefree and slightly terrifying true feeling of Halloween. All they know is the half truths and myths of strangers putting razor blades in apples and poison in candy. And they in turn pass it on to their children.
I saw a werewolf drinking a pina colada at Trader Vic's. His hair was perfect.

MichaelMyers
Haunt Master

Post by MichaelMyers » Mon Sep 25, 2006 9:23 pm

I agree!! It seems like kids these days are missing out on the Halloween fun we all had back in the good old days-actual HALLOWEEN parties, not fall festivals, TOT-the whole nine yards. I will make sure my kids (when they come) are shown the true meaning of Halloween..and I am sure they will love it!

BlackCat
Haunt Master

Post by BlackCat » Mon Sep 25, 2006 10:00 pm

Yeah why take the fun away from the kids? They dont have to associate it with any religion or anything but getting dressed up and collecting free candy! I mean where's the harm in that??

MHooch
Halloween Master

Post by MHooch » Mon Sep 25, 2006 11:08 pm

I really like the way you said that, geekmidwinter :!:

HOSGAARA
Crypt Keeper

Post by HOSGAARA » Tue Sep 26, 2006 8:23 am

yeah im sorry about the all caps thing ive just always typed that way sorry i was taling up too much space. i never really noticed the caps is on until i send it and look at then i notice that and all the misspelled words this one person on the board made me soooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
mad i just started typing on another post. but thank you for kinda makin me feel welcome. this other person got her nickers in a twist over something i typed because im not a christian, or jewish, or islamic, i dont know what i am?!?!?!?!? so this person got mad at me? :o :cry:
HOLY JOHNY CHRIST IMMA SEE EM IN NO TIME!!!

IF ANY ONE KNOS WAT IM TALKING ABOUT MESSAGE ME!!!!

geekmidwinter
Haunt Master

Post by geekmidwinter » Tue Sep 26, 2006 10:01 am

Thanks, peeps. There's a line in one of the Harry Potter books, where Hermoine says, "Fear of a name only increases fear of the thing itself." In this case it seems like misunderstanding and prejudice has led to fear of a harmless holiday. Maybe those people need to examine the strength of their own beliefs and their relationship with their diety of choice before they pass judgement on anyone else. Like someone else very wise said once, "There's only one true judge, and that's God, so sit back and let my father do his job." --Salt 'n' Pepa :lol: :wink:

I'm kidding, I know it's not about God, I just thought it was funny. The point is, it's no one's place to judge. No one. Especially on Halloween, where the night is about letting your inner child out, letting your inner monster out, and doing it with no thought about what people think.

midnight kitty
Haunt Master

Post by midnight kitty » Tue Sep 26, 2006 10:11 am

we don't need the day of halloween off, we have the night to celebrate (best time anyway). what we need is the day after off. it sucks to party at night, then have to be up early for work or school the next day. i can't have the daughter out late this yr coz she has school the next day. and it's not like i can just have her stay home. i'm even gonna miss out on my friend's party coz of this.
atleast i'm gonna be lenient w/ the daughter's bed time. it's 8:00, but i think i'll let it be 9:30. she'll be so tired, she'll fall right to sleep anyway
trick or treat

MWRuger
Vampire

Post by MWRuger » Tue Sep 26, 2006 1:22 pm

In ancient times, because they lived in such rigid structured cultural conditions, the Dionysustic festivals acted as pressure valve for women. (Conditions for wifes and daughters in ancient Greece amounted essentially to imprisonment) The maenads, or bacchantes, were a group of female devotees who left their homes to roam the wilderness in ecstatic devotion to Dionysus. It was one time a year when they were allowed freedom and some scholars believe that it was this freedom that induced the ecstatic behavior, not mere intoxication.

In many ways, Halloween provides a similar outlet. Most people don’t really believe that on All Hallows Eve the spirits of the dead roam the night and that fell creatures caper in the darkness. But it let’s us pretend, even if it is just for one night, that magic still exists in our adult world and that things that scared us as kids did so rightly. There are things that go bump in the night and the delicious thrill with confronting and accepting them is part of what is great about Halloween.

Modern man, more than any other, needs that sense of wonder. Imagination and all the bright stuff that inhabits that realm needs to be introduced to children so that as adults they will have that experience that Geekmidwinter talks about.

PS. I wouldn’t say I am obsessed with Halloween but I do love it. I admit that I saw Geekmidwinter’s Halloween Village and had to get one of my own. Every year I add a little more creepiness to my decorations.

geekmidwinter
Haunt Master

Post by geekmidwinter » Tue Sep 26, 2006 1:33 pm

And don't forget to mention the three day wall-to-wall Halloween film festival, mister.

MWRuger
Vampire

Post by MWRuger » Tue Sep 26, 2006 1:57 pm

Guilty.

This is the ninth year of my Film Festival and even though I still have souvenir CD's to make, a voting ballot and a program to do and food to cook, I am already looking forward to the 10th Anniversary for something really special.

ZOMBIES!!!
Zombie

Post by ZOMBIES!!! » Tue Sep 26, 2006 2:17 pm

I have an obession too. This is my first halloween in my new house and I am super excited. My fiancee and I are dangerous in stores that contain halloween items. I'm happy that she shares the same passion for all hallows eve as me, but we are going to be broke come nov 1. Oh, well, our house will be the most halloweened-up house on the block.