People offended by Halloween

Discussion of general Halloween topics
mandy0221
Halloween Master
What is the highest number?: 9

People offended by Halloween

Post by mandy0221 » Wed Sep 20, 2006 2:54 pm

So I am planning a Halloween party and getting my invite list already for invitations. I was talking to a friend who said not to send one to his girlfriend because she does not believe in the holiday and gets highly offensive by people who celebrate it. It apparently has to do with her religious beliefs...(she is Christian, but so am I and I have never heard of that before)

Has anyone else come across these types of people?

geekmidwinter
Haunt Master

Post by geekmidwinter » Wed Sep 20, 2006 4:28 pm

Yeah, my mom's whole neighborhood. It's about seven streets, and the homeowner's association has asked it's residence not to encourage trick-or-treating, and they have a "fall family festival" in the little park with games and stuff for kids. The kids can dress up, but not as anything scary. They do let her decorate, but she's not as into it as I am, just a flag with a jack-o-lantern and a light-up pumpkin or two. It's sad really. People trick or treat anyway, it's a really nice neighborhood, so people bring their kids from the apartments and worse neighborhoods.
I saw a werewolf drinking a pina colada at Trader Vic's. His hair was perfect.

Spooky
Haunt Master

Post by Spooky » Wed Sep 20, 2006 4:31 pm

Yes I have...I think some people think your worshiping the devil if you like Halloween. I just think of it as nothing to do with religion what so ever...I think it is all about fun, and having a party...and carving pumpkins, and candy, and decorating, and food, and dressing up...it's the most fun time of the year...the weather is nice, and it is beautiful outside.

I just think people read too much in to stuff, and they wanna go back in history....when we are so far away from where stuff originated...that it has nothing to do with that any more anyway...so just have fun.

Life is too short to not have fun.
Last edited by Spooky on Wed Sep 20, 2006 4:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

HalloweenDot
Site Admin
What is the highest number?: 10992

Re: People offended by Halloween

Post by HalloweenDot » Wed Sep 20, 2006 4:34 pm

mandy0221 wrote:So I am planning a Halloween party and getting my invite list already for invitations. I was talking to a friend who said not to send one to his girlfriend because she does not believe in the holiday and gets highly offensive by people who celebrate it. It apparently has to do with her religious beliefs...(she is Christian, but so am I and I have never heard of that before)

Has anyone else come across these types of people?
This has a little history ;-)

http://www.halloween.com/christian-halloween.php

Spooky
Haunt Master

Post by Spooky » Wed Sep 20, 2006 4:47 pm

Geekmidwinter-that reminded me that at my son's old school, they changed it too because people complained, and they didn't allow kids to dress up any more-(we had moved by then), that changed everything to a "Fall Festival"...and you could be a scarecrow and that was it. Which was stupid, because like my friend said...she had to make 2 costumes then instead of one, because her son wouldn't want to dress as a scarecrow for regular Halloween.

My opinion is this...if you don't like it...then that's your choice...but don't wreck it for everyone else that does...you have no right to tell other people not to do something just because you don't like it....especially when it is something that really is all fun and no harm to any of it. I think the people that don't like it just should keep their kid home that day, and not spoil it for everyone else.

uncletor
Halloween Master

Post by uncletor » Wed Sep 20, 2006 5:10 pm

MAN, have I run into it in my life..in fact, I used to think during my darkest moments that Halloween would be GONE by now..for those of you who have NEVER heard of this sort of thing, goggle a web site by a guy called Jack Chick. Jack makes those small rectangular comics that you find in men's rooms..he HATES Halloween, even has a seperate little division in his comic empire devoted to just that subject..(he also doesn't dig Santa that much, but I think even HE realizes THAT is an uphill battle..)...usually the folks trying to ban it have had too many of his tracts for breakfast..
It would be NICE if fantatics would do the "live and let live" thing, but they are FANATICS..so it's their way or the highway..Others are on the bandwagon, of course, but he's one of the biggest and the easiest to find..from his stuff you can read all the lies you need on the subject..
Try to keep a sense of humor..you'll need it.
Here in Canada, the anti-Halloween forces are (for the moment) in decline..I haven't heard of a serious attempt to ban it...even locally..for years now..
Future events such as these will effect you in the future

MHooch
Halloween Master

Post by MHooch » Wed Sep 20, 2006 6:44 pm

Santa's not such an uphill battle...we used to have Christmas programs at the local schools....now they are all "Holiday" programs. We used to have a CHristmas party at work. Now that's a "Holiday" party, too. The area that I live in has a lot of Mennonite people (sort of like Amish) and there is a pretty strong anti-Halloween influence in this county. A close neighbor of mine, really nice family, are pretty right wing Christian (I'm Episcopal) and they don't let their kids come to our annual party, or go TOTing. Oh well, to each his own, but like Spooky said, don't ruin it for the rest of us. I just ride around in my little orange and black convertible with OCT 31 on the plate, minding my own business!!!

geekmidwinter
Haunt Master

Post by geekmidwinter » Wed Sep 20, 2006 7:05 pm

yet ANOTHER reason we should live in our own little town where it's Halloween all the time! I nominate Spooky's house.
I saw a werewolf drinking a pina colada at Trader Vic's. His hair was perfect.

MHooch
Halloween Master

Post by MHooch » Wed Sep 20, 2006 7:07 pm

I second!!

BlackCat
Haunt Master

Post by BlackCat » Wed Sep 20, 2006 7:16 pm

Yeah I wrote another thread how we used to dress up for Halloween at work until some people said they were offended and made us stop. They took fun out of what is normaly a very boring day because they have nothing better to do. Maybe the should worry about real issues instead of people simply having fun.

uncletor
Halloween Master

Post by uncletor » Wed Sep 20, 2006 7:45 pm

I like what Fox"Spookey" Muldar on the X FILES once said about HIS job:"Every day is halloween...". It's like that for me at work. We dress up and have parties, and the clients are involved..in fact, I wore my PLAN NINE shirt in today...only THE CLIENTS had heard of it..the nursing students were totally blank..as was the Resident...
Naw, anything to lighten their burden and make things a bit better flies in the mental health field..
Future events such as these will effect you in the future

Spooky
Haunt Master

Post by Spooky » Wed Sep 20, 2006 10:05 pm

Hooch-were you goofing about your car?? Cause I want pictures of that! :wink:

I hate party poopers. As if there's any fun left any more for kids. I mean my gosh they can't even leave the house now, because the real world is so crazy...and I think alot of it has to do with people just can't keep out of other people's business...I feel like if people aren't breaking the law, and they are just having fun, then let them alone. Kids NEED stuff like Halloween. They aleady live in front of the TV (that has not one program on it geared towards kids)....even shows like The Munsters and The Adams Family those were awesome. We had awesome role models growing up....that there were Halloween costumes so that you could be that person. BlackCat knows this ...but a good friend of mine played in a TV show that was on in the 70's called The Secrets of Isis...She was Isis. I have the Halloween costume by Ben Cooper that was made because of her. Today's her birthday. I just called her. She and I have been friends for years now, and it started cause I had been a fan of the show.

I remember when me and my brother were outside pretending we were Bionic....There were Six Million Dollar Man and Bionic Women costumes, there was Wonder Woman and Batgirl and Batman and Robin and there were TV shows like Happy Days...you could be the Fonz, you could be Mork from Ork, you could be the police officer in CHiPs. Kids had role models...there were shows on for kids with kids in them. You could be Donny & Marie, Sonny & Cher, or Charlies Angels. I lived for Saturday Morning TV...and I love the cartoons...Those were all Halloween costumes: Hong Kong Phooey, Magilla Gorilla, Tom & Jerry, The Flintstones, The Jeffersons, and then there was the other stuff on TV like The Banana Splits or The Kroft Super Show with Electra Woman and Dyna Girl or Bigfoot and Wildboy. There were shows like Sigmund and the Seamonsters...the number of shows for kids was in the hundreds, and I only had channels 2-13, and 3 and 13 were PBS. Now, I have 160 channels and there's not a darn thing on to watch, that's why I am sitting here on the internet.

Everything has been taken away that is good...Music sucks....there's no wholesome groups...I remember for Halloween in the 80's dressing like a Valley Girl and a Punk Rocker...and people dressed like Michael Jackson or Cyndi Lauper or the Go's Go's or Billy Idol, or Tina Turner....but who is there now...that is cool...that you want your kind pretending to be?

It is the same thing with movies.....we had Ghostbusters, Gremlins, E.T, Star Wars, Raiders of the Lost Arc, The Goonies, there were tons of Movies that you could get Halloween costumes from. What is there now???

Girls have the Bratz dolls...those things are so ugly and it is sad...because I think kids don't play outside any more. When I was a kid...in the fall I was out every night until dark, we rode our bikes, we got together with the kids in the neighborhood and we played freeze tag, and hide and seek, and we had clubhouses that we made in the woods and in people's basements. We climbed apple trees, and we played at the playground, and we walked everywhere, and my mom never worried about us.

That was the thing about Halloween, you went in groups with your friends....I never would let my kid go alone today...even with a group of kids. Everyone knew each other. Everyone knew their neighbors. How many people can say that now?

I just think that people need to stop with this whole attitude that EVERYTHING is bad....there's nothing left already...it is so sad, that anybody considers taking one more thing away from children...they have nothing as it is. What ...cell phones and video game systems? That's alot of fun-to sit there text messaging your friends instead of being with them doing something...geez.

BlackCat
Haunt Master

Post by BlackCat » Wed Sep 20, 2006 11:22 pm

Amen!

MHooch
Halloween Master

Post by MHooch » Thu Sep 21, 2006 12:06 am

No Spooky, I really have an orange VW bug with a black convertible top, just got it in July, and it is the ULTIMATE Halloween accessory!! I will take some pictures over the weekend, and see if I can't get them up here. I totally agree with you, Spooky, if you're not breaking the law, and nobodies getting hurt, let it ride!!! Political correctness is NOT one of my better qualities. :roll:

Spooky
Haunt Master

Post by Spooky » Thu Sep 21, 2006 12:17 am

I think you need to come to my Halloween party, and we need to go cruise in your car!! Now that would be a "WICKED" combo. How about it???