Old Wives tale....

Discussion of general Halloween topics
mandy0221
Halloween Master
What is the highest number?: 9

Old Wives tale....

Post by mandy0221 » Wed Sep 20, 2006 3:12 pm

Cool bit of information:

In North America, unmarried women were frequently told that if they sat in a darkened room and gazed into a mirror on Halloween night, the face of their future husband would appear in the mirror. However, if they were destined to die before they married, a skull would appear. The custom was widespread enough to be commemorated on greeting cards from the late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries.

I'm not married...I may just have to try this

uncletor
Halloween Master

Post by uncletor » Wed Sep 20, 2006 5:15 pm

Part of the reason, for the longest while, that Halloween was a romantic MYSTERIOUS holiday dedicated to courtship and <deleted>..seriously..dig the older cards..they are full of masked balls and couples looking at each other and poems about secret loves and meetings and unmaskings and stuff like that..you can SORT of see the same custom in WHITE ZOMBIE when Madge Bellamny picks up the wedding goblet and sees a skull in it..and then dies..
Future events such as these will effect you in the future

MHooch
Halloween Master

Post by MHooch » Wed Sep 20, 2006 6:34 pm

uncletor, only YOU could make a connection between romance and a ZOMBIE movie...LOL!! :lol:

BlackCat
Haunt Master

Post by BlackCat » Wed Sep 20, 2006 7:19 pm

That is a really cool fact Mandy. I think Halloween is still romantic in a way. Some people look at it as promoting evil or something and I just don't get it. I think over the years the true meaning of Halloween as been warped by people trying to commericalize it and make a few bucks. Too bad!

uncletor
Halloween Master

Post by uncletor » Wed Sep 20, 2006 7:52 pm

No, seriously. And the more I think about it, the more it links..The groom passes over the goblet at the supper table and asks what she sees in the glass...and a SKULL comes up and she says;"Death.." and keels over, a ZOMBIE...but hubby doesn't know that and goes on a bender after the funeral, while Bela and the boys go on a dig...
Future events such as these will effect you in the future

LittleDollClaudia
Haunt Master

Post by LittleDollClaudia » Thu Sep 21, 2006 5:29 am

I am always looking for the vintage cards like ones that say Have A Merry Hallowe'en. They are from when Halloween was like Valentine's Day. I want to bring that back!
"I dress this way just to keep them at bay 'cause Halloween is every day."-Ministry

MWRuger
Vampire

Post by MWRuger » Tue Sep 26, 2006 2:05 pm

Halloween is romance. You dance with the dark and life is sweeter.