LED lights

Let's discuss ideas and tips for decorating for Christmas

LED lights

Postby EvilMel on Sun Nov 05, 2006 2:34 pm

Hi guys, what do we think of the new LED lights that are all over the place?

As good as the traditional mini-lights? Better? dimmer? brighter?

I want to know ASAP because I am considering them because of the 88% less energy used.
EvilMel

Postby Santa Sam on Sun Nov 05, 2006 7:01 pm

We bought them last year, and they are amazing! They are just as bright as any other type of traditional Christmas light and save a whole bunch in energy costs. I am not certain what the white LED lights are like, but the coloured ones we have are great! :D
You'll know the way I'm feeling when you love and you lose. I guess I've got the Christmas Blues...
Santa Sam

Postby EvilMel on Sun Nov 05, 2006 10:19 pm

Great! Thanks!

I think I am going to try them!
EvilMel

Postby BlkAsH on Mon Nov 06, 2006 3:23 pm

I think I'm going to buy some of them this year. They have some I've seen that look very cool, at least on the store displays. I'm hoping they actually do last longer than the others like they say on the boxes.
.:~* ... 'Tis The Season To Be Jolly ... *~:.
BlkAsH

Postby pink bat on Fri Nov 10, 2006 9:56 am

when it comes to Christmas lights I go crazy over the new LED. :lol: ..I have been using them as soon as I could get them...and that is about 3 years now....The first kinds of Multi-color lights had kind of not- so- pretty colors. Mainly amber, red and a wierd shade of green that boardered on olive. The ones I like the most are the new end to end strings that mimic mini lights And the colors are great. A word of warning....The bulbs can go out....I have one strand that I use in my Bathroom at night and two of the Blue bulbs are not working. The latest strands that I bought come with some extra bulbs...Also LED s " Flicker"....Kind of like a florecent (sp) light bulb does..Not bad, but it is different. They say battery or transformer powered ones do not flicker....The white ones are WHITE....Not a yellow white of incandecence (sp) So, all in all , I love the new LED s And the Energy savings is a GREAT plus..
....For the little Teddy Bear..... It is a Happy Day.
pink bat

Postby EvilMel on Fri Nov 10, 2006 10:24 am

So I actually tried the LED icicle lights from Phillips.

I bought one pacakge since they are on sale at Target this week. I have to say...I was a bit disappointed. I mean the colors are light years better than they used to be, but no where near as cool as the mini-lights.

BUT I love those faceted bulb LED straight strand ones that I saw at Target (I think they are Target brand). What I want to know is why they can't put those cool faceted bulb LEDs on an icicle light strand?

My other problem with those LED icicle lights was that there was only 70 bulbs per 9.6 ft, versus a regular icicle light that has 300 bulbs over 19 ft. So the LED ones have like half the bulbs? That's not cool. And each package of 70 cost more than twice as much as the 300ct regular icicle lights (which are twice as long). So that makes them 4x the cost just based on length. That's a bit ridiculous. Basically I am just going to wait for the LED icicle lights for next year (going to buy mini-lighted ones instead) and see what they come out with. There was a huge jump in the technology since last year, so maybe it will get a lot better again.
EvilMel

Postby ho ho ho on Sat Dec 02, 2006 5:22 am

I just love led lights and i am 0nly 13 and i have a 7ft tree in my room!
*****happy christmas*****
ho ho ho

Postby GreenElf on Mon Dec 04, 2006 12:44 pm

Thats awesome ho ho ho. It must be nice to fall asleep with the glowing lights from the Christmas tree in your room.
It's a beaut Clark, it's a beaut!
GreenElf

Postby I B Freezin' Wolfman on Wed Nov 14, 2007 4:59 am

I like the LEDs bulbs that are cylindrical, with a dome top. I find that you can actually point a beam of light about five to six feet away. This creates a colored dot on the wall, ceiling, or wherever.

I definatly wish they would come out with a UV version.

And I can't wait for them to make chasing/blinking strings.

As far as the number of LEDs...

You can only light up enough LEDs that seem to number according to the voltage applied. Until they make LEDs even more energy efficient, you'll probably have to deal with the 70 lamp string.

They could easily double that count, by taking advantage of the AC cycle. Since it's alternating current. (This is why it looks like it "flickers" when you glance rapidly past the lamps. As the AC reverses current flow, the LEDs are actually "off".)

By reversing the lamps to take advantage of the reverse current, (and the diode that only allows the current to pass in one direction,) You could in fact, extend the number of lamps X2. Because half the string would be on during the positive cycle, then go out as the negative cycle begins, thus the "reverse" circuit of LEDs would illuminate.

From my heart and from my hand

Why don't people understand

My intentions . . . .

Wolf-Science!

45 }*-{)}

Lumps of Coal = 01
I B Freezin' Wolfman

Re: LED lights

Postby MelindaB on Tue Jul 21, 2009 10:59 am

I am desperately trying to decide on our color theme, because we are going with LED lights this year. They have an amazing glow - were you happy with yours?
MelindaB

Postby dees473 on Fri Oct 02, 2009 10:36 am

I think the new thing is definitely the LED lights. I've had some for 2 years. I use them around my deck and for Christmas decorations. They do last longer and my power bill doesn't go through the roof at Christmas time.

http://www.christmaslightsetc.com/led-c ... lights.htm
http://www.christmaslightsetc.com/pages ... -power.htm
dees473

Postby Calhouncam on Mon Mar 15, 2010 1:48 am

LED Christmas ights use light emitting diodes rather than the traditional miniature incandescent bulbs. LEDs are much like incandescent bulbs except that they do not have a filament inside that can burn out and take the entire string of bulbs with it.
Calhouncam

Postby thomaskevin on Wed Dec 07, 2011 1:42 am

LED Christmas Lights is one of the best Choice to get the Sparkling looking decoration which can make your Christmas celebration memorable. I always love to decorate my room with LED Christmas Lights. :D

See some examples of LED Christmas Lights From here :

thomaskevin

Postby tomkbruce on Thu Dec 13, 2012 2:04 am

I also want to buy some LED Christmas Lights, I heard used to decorate Christmas is very beautiful and very energy efficient.
tomkbruce

Postby KevinMendoza on Sat Aug 24, 2013 7:25 am

tomkbruce wrote:I also want to buy some led light Christmas, I heard used to decorate Christmas is very beautiful and very energy efficient.

Even I am getting these lights for coming christmas.. Very excited about festival season as lots of good news are around..
KevinMendoza

Next

Return to Holiday Decoration