Wreath Making

What crafts do you like to do for Christmas?

Wreath Making

Postby EvilMel on Wed Nov 01, 2006 12:09 pm

well..one of my favorite holiday crafts is making a wreath. I made one a few years ago but in honor of our new house...I think I may just drag myself into the holiday spirit by making another Christmas wreath.

I attended one of those free classes at Michael's one year, but you can easiily do it without going to one of those classes.

Anyone else like wreath-making? Anyone else want to get the topics rolling?
EvilMel

Postby GreenElf on Wed Nov 01, 2006 12:14 pm

Well I have never made a real wreath before but I know my husbands relatives get right into that and actually go out get wild branches from the woods and make these beautiful big wreaths to sell to the different business around or individuals interested. I love the smell of them too...
GreenElf

Postby EvilMel on Wed Nov 01, 2006 1:24 pm

Holy crap! That's awesome.

I just really meant to put some stuff on a fake wreath, but that's way better!
EvilMel

Postby MHooch on Sat Nov 04, 2006 12:53 am

I've never made my own wreath, but Mel, you've inspired me!
"Making Christmas, Making Christmas....."
MHooch

Postby EvilMel on Sat Nov 04, 2006 12:15 pm

Awesome! It's not that hard at all. Also, if you are worried about it...take one of those weekend classes at Michael's. They try to sell you stuff but who cares...I just listen carefully and then do what I want.
EvilMel

Postby littledollclaudia on Mon Nov 06, 2006 5:00 am

My mom came up with this wonderful idea where she took a regular green wreath and hot glued toys to it. She found out what family and friends liked and she would go and buy little knick knacks at thift stores. It was really neat to see the different themes put together. One of her friends really liked Toy Story so she found a whole bunch of those toys and glued them all over it. It was so cute! A lot of them are used on the front doors every year. The best thing is if something gets loose, a little hot glue and you're set.
~On the 13th day of Christmas, my ghoul love gave to me...~
littledollclaudia

Postby GreenElf on Mon Nov 06, 2006 2:18 pm

That sounds like a great idea. Great gift too, like for you.... your wreath could be black with alittle bit of Halloween knic Knacks all over it... hmmm I will have to try to make something like that for people I don't know what to get them as it is hard to narrow a gift down sometimes...this way you can have alittle bit of everything.
It's a beaut Clark, it's a beaut!
GreenElf

Postby EvilMel on Mon Nov 06, 2006 3:40 pm

You know...that is a good idea, especially for people that you like but don't know that much about.
EvilMel

Postby fenwick on Tue Apr 24, 2007 2:39 pm

Go out to the woods and collected alot of princess pine. It so soft to work with. Later it becomes dry. Take a wire clothes hanger. Shape it into a circle and depending on how thick you want your wreath,make small bunchs and use foral wire to attack it to the hanger. Go around the hanger til it's full. Add anything else you might like. Just love the smell of the pine. If you use them outside,they last for weeks. I've even made garlands and put them on the top of my china cabinet or across my buffet.
fenwick

Postby Jingle_Craze on Fri Nov 23, 2007 4:59 pm

If there's one thing I don't get dragged into, it's making branches into a circle and getting poked by them. (as you call it, wreath making)
Merry Christmas!!!!!!

GO DAWGS!!!!! (Mississippi State) Forum Avatars
Jingle_Craze

Postby Christmas Bell on Mon Nov 26, 2007 12:53 pm

You all will probably laugh at me :wink:

Last year Dec., 2006, I was in Jax. Fl. I had a dr's appt. anyway I went to Michael's to look around. I bought myself a large wreath & all kinds of pretties to put on the wreath including the 'lil feathered cardinal birdies! I found all kinds of those 'lil things you decorate wreaths with. Anyways I also bought a glue gun & a few more things to make my first ever wreath, ha ha even the large extra heavy duty wreath holder, a fancy one @ that. Can you still beleive that all that stuff that costed me a bundle at check-out which I still have the recpt., costed $66.00----, is still sitting in the closet in the same bags??? Ha ha, but I am going to make it this year though. In fact I was going to tackle it today until I found this site! Yay for finding this site first hee-hee!

The real reason I didn't tackle it last year is cause I got real sick & wounded up with newmonia(sp?). I didn't get over that until the second week of January, I was a sick lady. I am going to do it!!! :lol: :lol:
Christmas Bell

Re: Wreath Making

Postby Andybev01 on Fri Nov 07, 2008 6:57 pm

I've made all sorts of them over the years but my all-time favorite was crafted by my sister, Barbara.

She was working at the local country club and she volunteered to make decorations one year (she is really, really good).

Their workshop made her a form out of plywood and, if I recall, it was 6' wide.

She loosely stapled chicken wire over it, stuffed the wire with moss and then went to town with what was probably an entire pine tree's worth of boughs.

I remember it as the most impressive wreath I'd seen, then and since.
"What if Christmas, he thought, doesn't come from a store. What if Christmas, perhaps, means a little bit more."
Dr. Seuss
Andybev01

Postby hollisterluver1 on Tue Nov 18, 2008 8:17 am

I got an idea! We can make something so cool fllow these rules:
1. get a large pinecone
2. get some white paint
3. dip or paint the pinecone
4. get acorns and collor them different colors
5. put them on your trees ** make sure 2 make a star or angel! BEST PART!**
hollisterluver1

Postby Chris on Tue Nov 18, 2008 11:34 am

That is a good craft. That type of thing was always a fun craft to do in school.

hollisterluver1 wrote:I got an idea! We can make something so cool fllow these rules:
1. get a large pinecone
2. get some white paint
3. dip or paint the pinecone
4. get acorns and collor them different colors
5. put them on your trees ** make sure 2 make a star or angel! BEST PART!**
Chris

Postby AinsleyKath on Thu Dec 04, 2008 5:17 am

i do love to make wreaths.

you can also refer online wreath making videos in you tube to make beautiful wreaths. i tried once and got a wonderful wreath.
AinsleyKath

Next

Return to Christmas Crafts