Corning

Discussion of general Halloween topics
Spooky
Haunt Master
What is the highest number?: 9

Corning

Post by Spooky » Mon Sep 18, 2006 12:01 am

Did anyone else ever go "corning" as a kid? We all did in my neighborhood, we were good kids...but it was fun stuff. My brother use to shuck corn for weeks, just to get this huge bag of corn, he guarded it with his life, and called it his "gold"....cause you really had to be prepared for going out corning. We would all meet up, and decide which way we were going, and what we would do if we got caught....you always had to hit the houses where the mean people were...in hopes that they actually came out and yelled...or better yet...chased you. It sounds crazy now, cause people will kill you for stuff like that. But, I remember even as a kid before I was old enough to go out, how every year we got corned....and the next day there would be tons of corn on our front porch. We'd be sitting there watching TV, and you'd hear the corn hit the house. My Dad would go turn the porch light on, just so the kids knew that we heard it...cause that was actually fun.

Kids use to soap windows and throw tomatoes and toilet paper houses....(I never did anything like that).....but you never see that now...maybe it is a good thing....but, I always thought it was all in fun and not out of meanness. It was never anything that did permanent damage.

MHooch
Halloween Master

Post by MHooch » Mon Sep 18, 2006 12:20 am

See, that's the trick, not doing permanent damage. When I was a kid we did all that stuff, too, but like you said, not anything harmful, just a little messy sometimes. It WAS fun, wasn't it? AHHH, memories. :wink:

Spooky
Haunt Master

Post by Spooky » Mon Sep 18, 2006 12:26 am

Yeah it was awesome excercise..... :wink:

I remember running and falling down a hill and skinning my knee up, but that was like even cooler...cause you had a story to tell.

It was about hanging out with your friends and you were safe at night to run around cause there really wasn't the fear that there is now of people doing harm to you.

We knew everyone we were corning. We use to do my aunts and uncles more than anyone else.

BlackCat
Haunt Master

Post by BlackCat » Mon Sep 18, 2006 9:55 am

LOL, I live in Wisconsin where we grow alot of corn but I never went "corning"before. although I did toliet paper our mean highschool princepal's house once. All in good fun!

uncletor
Halloween Master

Post by uncletor » Mon Sep 18, 2006 9:57 am

one year, grade two. someone did a total number on the school door tomatoes, egges, toilet paper, whatever..and my best buddy and I thought it was so funny our teacher sent us out to CLEAN it..she was TOTALLY convinced we had done it..Mom was mad I didn't have the teacher call her ask where I was, but I was so scared as a kid that I didn't even THINK of questioning what she told us to do..
we were stupid...question authority...
Future events such as these will effect you in the future

uncletor
Halloween Master

Post by uncletor » Tue Sep 19, 2006 10:26 am

so I'm telling people about Spooky's local custom of CORNING.
It doesn't GO well.
One lady thought I was going to mention something that would be better in one of those stage films you used to get from Havana. She beats a retreat, but comes back later. This proves fatal to logic.
The next person wondered why they would throw good china plates against a door..besides, Corning wear doesn't break, they added.
The first person was back by now and wondered what was going on, and the second told them about throwing plates against a door and that it would be a bad idea, as children's feet would get cut, and I added, no..real corn..
and the first person said that birds would wind up eating real corn, and make a mess, and then the kids would get their cut feet infected in the mess and what kind of CUSTOM was that...infecting the feet of little children..
And I am looking at them BOTH trying to figure out if they are putting me ON..and they're NOT..they're off on their own SAVE THE CHILREN tangent and I'm not on board.
And by then, I am just staring open mouthed, seeing this spiral out of control...no way of stopping it..
And by the end of the day it SORT of came back down to earth..someone came up to me and wanted to hear about the LOVELY American custom of putting out a cob of corn on a plate for birds in the winter..but didn't Americans have THE BIRDBATH by now?? Or was it that they were just TOO MESSY???

There is a really neat book out there. It is called THE GOLDEN BOUGH. It was the great grandfather of anthropology..started out as a single volume, eventually worked up to a 12 volume opus..James Frazer, if you're interested.
If anyone ever decides to update the harvest section I think I will submit CORNING..or the corn cob on the corning ware plate..and sit back and watch the fun..
Last edited by uncletor on Tue Sep 19, 2006 1:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Future events such as these will effect you in the future

Spooky
Haunt Master

Post by Spooky » Tue Sep 19, 2006 10:45 am

Uncletor, Sorry...but I didn't understand any of that.... :?:

LittleDollClaudia
Haunt Master

Post by LittleDollClaudia » Tue Sep 19, 2006 1:07 pm

HAHAHAHAHA!! Corning ware. People can be so dense at times.
"I dress this way just to keep them at bay 'cause Halloween is every day."-Ministry

BlackCat
Haunt Master

Post by BlackCat » Tue Sep 19, 2006 9:35 pm

lol, that's funny. I own corning ware dishes. I guess it would be a little dangerous and destructive to "corn" people that way. I mean broken glass all over their porches, and getting hit with a heavy plate cannot feel to good!