Halloween for Readers

Discussion of general Halloween topics
BlackCat
Haunt Master

Post by BlackCat » Sat Sep 16, 2006 9:13 am

I agree, I was scared to read Harry Potter fearing it was for children. Now I am completley enamoured and I will never be the same again!

uncletor
Halloween Master
What is the highest number?: 9

Post by uncletor » Sat Sep 16, 2006 9:37 am

Harry Potter always makes me smile. I usually try and get out to the launcning of every new book..free food, and that big CUBE of books in the middle of the room is always special..
I also dig the idea of kids falling in love with reading...one of my friends in North Caroline always watches his kid read the thing in a marathon during the summer..and envies that young engery...and time..
Check out Stephen King's NON fiction stuff..DANSE MACABRE...a VERY good examination of all things horror..films, books, t.v., very entetaining, and sure to hip you to a couple of things you never knew about before..
Future events such as these will effect you in the future

MHooch
Halloween Master

Post by MHooch » Sat Sep 16, 2006 10:16 pm

The last Potter book launching, my nephew and I went in costume as Harry and Hooch. Had a blast. Two liitle girls asked me to sign their books, and I said, "Now you know, I'm not REALLY Madam Hooch" and they just giggled and said "we don't care...sign it anyway" It was so adorable. Wore the costume to the Goblet of Fire movie premiere, too. What can I say? Any excuse for costumes and makeup. :D

BlackCat
Haunt Master

Post by BlackCat » Sun Sep 17, 2006 4:10 pm

I'm so excited about the last book but I am also so upset that she plans on killing 2 more characters! I hop she will let Harry, Hermione, and Ronald live. I also like Mr. and Mrs. Weasley so I hop it's not either of them. I hear Sirrius Black may be ressurected and that would be a great thing!

MHooch
Halloween Master

Post by MHooch » Mon Sep 18, 2006 12:27 am

I'm hoping that JKR reconsiders, and continues the series, perhaps with Harry, et al, teaching at Hogwarts...wouldn't that be fun!!!

BlackCat
Haunt Master

Post by BlackCat » Mon Sep 18, 2006 9:53 am

I agree! I want Harry to be headmaster someday at Hogwarts and I would love to see it happen. I just can't wait for her next book, I hear it will be released next summer.

Pennywise11
Halloween Master

Post by Pennywise11 » Mon Sep 18, 2006 2:54 pm

Hi All, I picked up a book from a yard sale this weekend called Halloween Party by Agatha Christie...anybody read it? I am going to get started on it right away. It was on 25 cents...
1, 2, Freddy's Coming For You 3, 4, Better Lock Your Door 5, 6, Grab A Crucifix 7, 8, Better Stay Up Late 9, 10, Never Sleep Again

BlackCat
Haunt Master

Post by BlackCat » Mon Sep 18, 2006 4:06 pm

I'm reading some scary books right now. They're not really Halloween books but they can put you in the mood. They are the Prey novels by John Sanford. I'm reading Eyes Of Prey right now. It's a little creepy, it's about a serial killer or something. I'm not to sure what is going on yet cuz I just started reading it.

geekmidwinter
Haunt Master

Post by geekmidwinter » Mon Sep 18, 2006 4:29 pm

I've read a ton of the Sanford "Prey" novels, they're pretty good.

I've never read that Agatha Christie one, though, let me know how it is, I love her other stuff.

I got Matheson's I Am Legend and Hell House in from Amazon today, and they look magnificent, I can't wait to get into them.

I love that people other than me will get on here and talk about books and Halloween in conjunction. We should all have a book club weekend at Spooky's B&B sometime.
I saw a werewolf drinking a pina colada at Trader Vic's. His hair was perfect.

Celtic Ghoul
Master Reaper

Post by Celtic Ghoul » Mon Sep 18, 2006 5:08 pm

Can't wait to hear what you think of Matheson, geekmidwinter!

Re: Harry Potter - I swore up and down that I would not read those
kids books. After all, I am a grown up. Then one night, there was nothing to do and nothing to read so I sat down with the first one... and six hours later I was still sitting there reading. It's been a long, long time since a book was so good that I read it in one sitting.

I bow before the altar of JK Rowling.

Plus, she's Welsh, so you know she'd be cool no matter what!
While friends and loved ones mourn your silly grave, I have other uses for you, darling. ~ I love the Dead, Alice Cooper

BlackCat
Haunt Master

Post by BlackCat » Mon Sep 18, 2006 7:09 pm

That's what I like about Rowling. Her books are easy to read and they reach out and grab you!

My boyfriend owns all the Prey novels so I am a beginner but I like what I'm reading. I wish I lived closer to spooky cuz I would looooove to visit her B&B and read books and tell ghost stories.

Another good scary book I read as a teen was Dan Simmons "Summer of Night". I remember really enjoying it. I read it so many times the book fell apart and I had to buy a new copy.

MHooch
Halloween Master

Post by MHooch » Tue Sep 19, 2006 12:30 am

You guys...geekmidwinter had a FABULOUS idea...a weekend at Spooky's B&B....wouldn't that be awesome!!! I just adore the Prey novels by Sanford...Lucas Davenport is my favorite fiction detective.

Pennywise11
Halloween Master

Post by Pennywise11 » Tue Sep 19, 2006 8:06 am

I enjoyed the Dan Simmons novel Children of the Night... did you read that one BlackCat?
1, 2, Freddy's Coming For You 3, 4, Better Lock Your Door 5, 6, Grab A Crucifix 7, 8, Better Stay Up Late 9, 10, Never Sleep Again

Celtic Ghoul
Master Reaper

Post by Celtic Ghoul » Tue Sep 19, 2006 3:07 pm

MHooch - I wonder if Spooky knows what she has let herself in for here... :twisted:

Actually a trip to PA in October sounds wonderful!
While friends and loved ones mourn your silly grave, I have other uses for you, darling. ~ I love the Dead, Alice Cooper

geekmidwinter
Haunt Master

Post by geekmidwinter » Tue Sep 19, 2006 7:13 pm

I jokingly suggested to Spooky on the Haunted Houses thread that she should have us all up there the weekend after Halloween to have support groups and mourn the end of the Halloween season.
I saw a werewolf drinking a pina colada at Trader Vic's. His hair was perfect.