A Christmas Carol

Books, poems, stories and other tales!

A Christmas Carol

Postby MHooch on Sat Nov 04, 2006 12:04 am

That has got to be my all time favorite Christmas book/story. I never get tired of reading it. And of all the many movie incarnations of this story, I like the one with Patrick Stewart (1999), but my favorite is "Scrooge" (1951), with Alistair Sims in the title role.
MHooch

Postby Dudley on Sat Nov 04, 2006 10:23 am

gotta love the 1951 version. best there is. the kids under the ghost of Christmas present's robe...the ghost of christmas future..whom you can almost touch with his white clammy hands..great great stuff..FREAKED ME OUT when I first saw it as a kid..and don't forgt the blopper..Scrooge is dancing the funky chicken after he gets up and goes to a mirror to look..there's a guy who gets reflected in it...complete with white shirt and tie...

Read the book every year, and one of his other Christmas/ghost stories as well..
Run run Rudolph, Santa's got to make it on time..
Dudley

Postby MHooch on Mon Nov 06, 2006 12:44 am

OK Dudley, ya got me...I have watched that movie AT LEAST 45 times in my life, and have NEVER noticed the guy in the mirror. I'll be running down to the video store now.... :oops:
"Making Christmas, Making Christmas....."
MHooch

Postby littledollclaudia on Mon Nov 06, 2006 4:45 am

I love those but for me there's nothing like watching "Scrooged" with Bill Murray. Yep, I'm a nut even at Christmastime.
~On the 13th day of Christmas, my ghoul love gave to me...~
littledollclaudia

Postby Dudley on Mon Nov 06, 2006 3:57 pm

Hooch, I will time it out tonight for you so you will know when it is coming up...Baby Brother spotted it ahead of me. It was his first time, and he didn't know how it would come out, and thought the ghosts were coming back to EAT him...
Dudley

Postby Dudley on Tue Nov 07, 2006 6:48 am

okay, move the tape to about 1 hour, 11 min. The lady has just said something like: "Are you feeling quite yourself, sir?" and Scrooge is looking in the mirror..the guy is just over his shoulder...you go see him again when he wishes himself Merry Christmas
Dudley

Re: A Christmas Carol

Postby santacla on Tue Nov 07, 2006 12:24 pm

MHooch wrote:That has got to be my all time favorite Christmas book/story. I never get tired of reading it. And of all the many movie incarnations of this story, I like the one with Patrick Stewart (1999), but my favorite is "Scrooge" (1951), with Alistair Sims in the title role.

I like that one too. But as of now (Nov 2006) Amazon doesn't have the DVD available!

Too bad!
santacla
Site Admin

Postby airhead on Tue Nov 06, 2007 3:43 pm

I like the 1938 version.
airhead

Postby Ol' Black Pete on Tue Nov 06, 2007 4:13 pm

I have about 15 or so different versions of that and I would have to say the most poignant and surprisingly thorough version, in my most humble opinion, is the 1972 animated version with Alistair Sim as the voice of Scrooge and narrated by Michael Redgrave.

With Executive Producer, Chuck Jones at the helm, the animation is so rich and unique you forget it's a cartoon and it completely draws you into the best telling of the story I've seen on film. And THAT is REALLY saying something being that it's only a half an hour long. A MUST see for ANY Christmas Carol fan!!!
Ol' Black Pete

Postby Snow Faery on Wed Nov 07, 2007 8:23 pm

Oh Mama Hooch that's my favourite version too!!! I just mentioned it on my list in the thread "favourite Christmas films/tv shows" and couldn't remember Scrooge's name! Alistair Sims!! Ah he is legendary in that role :)
~ What's this, what's this? There's magic in the air... ~

Snow Faery AKA Magickbean ;)
Snow Faery

A Christmas Carol

Postby Santa Baby on Thu Nov 08, 2007 12:26 am

My favorite version Christmas Carol is the musical with Albert finney The songs are just so catchy and everytime I see the opening sequence with Bob Cratchet shopping It just puts me in the Christmas mood
I've been an awful good girl,

Santa baby, and hurry down the chimney tonight.
Santa Baby

Postby Jack Frost on Thu Nov 08, 2007 9:50 pm

but my favorite is "Scrooge" (1951), with Alistair Sims in the title role.

My favorite too, Wally World is selling it now for about $7 but it plays EVERY year.....

Not sure if I should buy or not.
Jack Frost

Postby Ol' Black Pete on Thu Nov 08, 2007 10:32 pm

No. Really. There's really a place called Wally World?

I thought that was just in the Chevy Chase Vacation movie.
Ol' Black Pete

Postby Christmas Knight on Thu Nov 08, 2007 10:44 pm

Mark me down for the 1951 Alister Sim version. A Classic, that can never be recreated.
Christmas Knight

Postby Jack Frost on Thu Nov 08, 2007 10:54 pm

Ol' Black Pete wrote:No. Really. There's really a place called Wally World?

I thought that was just in the Chevy Chase Vacation movie.

Sorry, just a nick name for Walmart.
Jack Frost

Next

Return to Christmas Literature