Halloween and Horror Films?

Discussion of general Halloween topics

Horror Films Discussion

YES - I would love to chat about any horror movies here!
82%
NO - I'm not interested chatting about horror films at all!
No votes
NOT SURE - But try to see how this works!
18%

Total votes: 17

uncletor
Halloween Master
What is the highest number?: 9

Post by uncletor » Tue Sep 05, 2006 9:49 am

I do! I do! And thanks to video, so do my kids! There is only one War of the Worlds for us, and it's the one from the 50's...same with Apes, and Body Snatchers..great great films, and scary as HELL...
Future events such as these will effect you in the future

LittleDollClaudia
Haunt Master

Post by LittleDollClaudia » Tue Sep 05, 2006 10:51 am

There is a great new "B" movie out right now on DVD called 2001 Maniacs starring none other than Robert Englund (of Freddy fame) as the Mayor. It's a fantastic remake with some of the funniest splatstick I have seen in a while. I have to warn you though, it is definitely not for kids. For a synopsis and some marvelous pictures, check out this link.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0264323/

Take a peek and tell me what you think.
"I dress this way just to keep them at bay 'cause Halloween is every day."-Ministry

hauntmaster

Post by hauntmaster » Tue Sep 05, 2006 1:07 pm

Yeah, I like Robert Englund in "2001 Maniacs", it was pretty cool! Definitely not for the kids due to some nasty images, blood and guts, strong gore, and some nudity!

BTW, did you see "Final Destination?" What about FD 2 and 3? I've only seen FD 3, but never get a chance to see the original and the second part films.

LittleDollClaudia
Haunt Master

Post by LittleDollClaudia » Wed Sep 06, 2006 7:41 am

I did see the original Final Destination. It was an interesting concept and I enjoyed the creative ways they came up with for each of the kids to die. As for numbers 2 and 3, haven't checked them out yet. I am scared that they will degenerate to teenage drivel. This was a new idea and more than likely, it fell to the wayside for more T & A and less story. But I cannot judge until I can see it, right?

But one of my secret pleasures is Silent Hill. Yes, I do play the game so I understood probably more than most who went to see it. I wrote a review of it on IMDB as well. It's about messing with your head, not about quick scares and monsters... Oh, wait. I can't bring out my soapbox yet. I am a newbie to this board and don't want to make the hauntmaster come and chop me into little bits with a chainsaw. So I'll keep my observation to myself until I am told it's okay to share.

What other obscure horror movies do you like?
"I dress this way just to keep them at bay 'cause Halloween is every day."-Ministry

pumpkinhead
Zombie

Post by pumpkinhead » Tue Sep 12, 2006 4:24 pm

Istart off with the simpsons treehouse of horror,night of the living dead andcarnival of souls

uncletor
Halloween Master

Post by uncletor » Tue Sep 12, 2006 6:28 pm

okay littedollclaudia...dish...you have our permission...

LittleDollClaudia
Haunt Master

Post by LittleDollClaudia » Wed Sep 13, 2006 6:55 am

My issue with most moviegoers in recent years is the quick scare. Maybe I am getting cynical in my old age :cough: but I could not believe some girl behind me as we left the theater "I don't get it. What kind of scary movie was that?" It wasn't, you dork! It was a mind****, playing on your psychological fears, not some dude hiding in the forest to stab you. Hey, I love those movies too. Unfortunately, we live in a microwave, techno, I want it yesterday age. "10 seconds, but I want it now!!!" GRRR I miss the buildup of the classics. The piano sting where you knew the bad guy was coming but you gripped the edge of your seat anyway. Did anyone see the remake of The Hills Have Eyes? Yecch. A fiend of mine took me and wow. No surprises there. What does eveyone else think? Are horror movies getting too commercial? I know they cater to the teenage crowd, but how much is too much? A smart horror film, it can't be that hard, right? Right? :watches tumbleweed pass by and hears crickets chirp:

uncletor
Halloween Master

Post by uncletor » Wed Sep 13, 2006 10:23 am

I've been saying the same thing for years. But you hit the nail on the head when you talked about the teenage crowd. Personally, I refused to put a dime into the remake of THE TEXAS CHAINSAW...
Part of the problem is that the old movies have been grabbed up by specialty cable and it's hard to GET them back into the theatres anymore..take a look at DISNEY HALLOWEEN. special we all grew up with, folks on this site would sell their children for, and it's NOT around.
Yeah, decreased attention spans, and Americans are NOT known for their patience at the best of times..as if I can talk..my own kids took YEARS of indoctrination before they would put up with old black and white flicks...the son STILL isn't in to subtitles that much, and FORGET silent movies..for now..although he did dig the unmasking of the Phantom..and yeah, HILLS was no where NEAR the original

Celtic Ghoul
Master Reaper

Post by Celtic Ghoul » Wed Sep 13, 2006 2:56 pm

I think you can have gore and suspense done well together... Hellraiser comes to mind. But that is very rare. Hollywood prefers the low budget, high profit slashers.

What did you guys think of the Blair Witch Project?

I'll tell you my opinion by and by, but I find the disagreements about this film interesting.[/url]
While friends and loved ones mourn your silly grave, I have other uses for you, darling. ~ I love the Dead, Alice Cooper

Pennywise11
Halloween Master

Post by Pennywise11 » Wed Sep 13, 2006 3:07 pm

Well personally I didn't mind the Blair Witch Project movie. I found it to be a fresh film off beat and not the norm around the time it came out and all the hipe about other big budget movies advertised. I know there was alot of hype about if it was real or not but I still found it interesting. I think another reason why I didn't mind it was that I enjoy camping out in the woods wiht my family and did that alot as a teenager with my friends...typical teenage stuff....not a camp ground or trailer park but in the woods in the middle of nowhere. We either hiked for hours or went in on 3 wheeler. We weren't making a film or documentary but the setting in which the movie took place is very similar to the Nova Scotian wilderness and I could relate on those factors. Budget wise they did a good job, the acting wasn't too bad and you could understand the emotions and fears people could have it they were not use to the environment. I just don't htink I would of snapped so soon....unless of course I found my friends teeth wrapped up outside my tent early in the morning.....

I know the ending was kind of point blank and left people wondering "what the f" but I like that kind of a movie. Something that doesn't play into the "happy ending" or typical "tragic ending"....more of a realistic crazy ending is my speed and I enjoyed it....and own it. ... I always work it into my fall line up as my surroundings and the fall season seems to go well together...

As for Blair Witch 2..... didn't care for it at all... almost a betrayal and falling into more of the main stream crowd...not cool...
1, 2, Freddy's Coming For You 3, 4, Better Lock Your Door 5, 6, Grab A Crucifix 7, 8, Better Stay Up Late 9, 10, Never Sleep Again

uncletor
Halloween Master

Post by uncletor » Wed Sep 13, 2006 5:48 pm

the promo tape they did for it, covering the back story, was better then the movie.
William Castle must have been just spinning in his grave, trying to get out to work the same gimmack..

Celtic Ghoul
Master Reaper

Post by Celtic Ghoul » Wed Sep 13, 2006 7:41 pm

Never saw Blair Witch 2.

I really liked Blair Witch the original because it did not use gore. I also liked that the iconography was totally new... those wooden shapes were not related to anything, not a cross, not a pentacle, something new and mysterious. I mean, how many gothic crosses and stars in circles can you see before they lose their glamour.

I asked because that movie really seems to divide horror fans - you either love it or hate it.
While friends and loved ones mourn your silly grave, I have other uses for you, darling. ~ I love the Dead, Alice Cooper

MHooch
Halloween Master

Post by MHooch » Wed Sep 13, 2006 7:55 pm

Well, IMO, Blair Witch had a very good advance publicity person. 'Nuff said. :roll:

EvilMel
Haunt Master

Post by EvilMel » Wed Sep 13, 2006 9:41 pm

That's pretty funny Pennywise that you have Halloweens 1 and 3, hah hah. I need to get number 3, it's the only one I don't have.

I love those old classic horror films from the 50s that are black and white. This week I have watched Plan 9 From Outer Space and House on Haunted Hill. Plan 9...eh...it's Ed Wood so that makes it neat (plus they have the whole "Misfits" angle) but House on Haunted Hill was great!!

I also liked Planet of the Vampires for cheesy retro horror films but I must admit to not having seen all *that* many.

MHooch
Halloween Master

Post by MHooch » Wed Sep 13, 2006 10:00 pm

EvilMel, I remember seeing House on Haunted Hill in the theater as a kid and being scared out of my wits!!! Good times... :shock: