Elegant Halloween

Discussion of general Halloween topics
Dreamygirl1
Ghost

Elegant Halloween

Post by Dreamygirl1 » Fri Sep 08, 2006 10:55 am

I would like info on doing an Elegant, stylish Halloween for adults, no children are coming. Decor, drinks, food, etc. :twisted:

geekmidwinter
Haunt Master
What is the highest number?: 9

Post by geekmidwinter » Fri Sep 08, 2006 12:23 pm

You could use the idea I did last year, I made it a funeral theme, based on the video for My Chemical Romance's Helena video, it was nice. You can find good over the top funeral wear at a lot of thrift stores, we even had a lot of girls with little hats with half veils attached, the guys wore all black with red ties, it was pretty sharp. I did the normal party food, except the big pot of queso dip (rotel & velveeta) had green food coloring added to it, and I made popcorn balls with orange food coloring wrapped in saran wrap and tied with green curly ribbon. Red wine is always elegant and pretty, Walgreens has martini glasses made out of skulls that say "gothtini" on them, they're really cute. For decor, I would go with a lot of draped black, you can get plain black fabric for pretty cheap, or tulle to accent lamps or chairs, or whatever.

If you wanted to go really big and elegant, you could do a party based on the story "The Red Death" where all the rich people gathered in the castle with the king to try to avoid the plague, and death found them anyway, you could be the "after" party, and have it a full masquerade ball except that everyone is dead.
I saw a werewolf drinking a pina colada at Trader Vic's. His hair was perfect.

Celtic Ghoul
Master Reaper

Post by Celtic Ghoul » Fri Sep 08, 2006 5:06 pm

I've always found candelabras very elegantly spooky.

Okay, I think my brain just shut down because I have forgotten the other thing I was going to suggest... :?
While friends and loved ones mourn your silly grave, I have other uses for you, darling. ~ I love the Dead, Alice Cooper

MHooch
Halloween Master

Post by MHooch » Sat Sep 09, 2006 12:55 am

Make cocktails with eyeball ice cubes: you'll need radishes small enough to fit in an ice cube tray. Pare the skin off, but leave enough red for a "veiny" look. Carve out a 1/2" hole in one side (I used a small size melon baller). Place an olive, cut side out, in the hole. (That makes the "iris" of the eyeball.) Put in icecube tray, fill with water and freeze. They really look good, and my guests loved the surprise in their drink. Only put one or two in per drink, and you won't have to make as many. :idea:

uncletor
Halloween Master

Post by uncletor » Sat Sep 09, 2006 9:48 am

Remember that Bal Masque from PHANTOM OF THE OPERA?
Use the silent and the 1940's version as your templates.
Allow vampires in tuxes in...
Dr. Jekylls or Mr. Hydes.
Burke or Hare
Drs. Caligari, Frankenstein, Sardonicus, their brides or subjects.
Future events such as these will effect you in the future

Dee381
Vampire

Post by Dee381 » Sun Sep 10, 2006 6:29 pm

I agree w/everyone else on using a lot of black. I think Gothic or Victorian would be good themes.

I seen in a book where they spray painted pumpkins black and used gold or silver glitter pens to make swirls around the pumpkin. I thought it looked really nice. i might be trying that.

MHooch
Halloween Master

Post by MHooch » Sun Sep 10, 2006 11:20 pm

You know, Dremygirl1, the more I think about it, the more a more formal party sounds fun. (Like Phantom, a ball). Everybody wear balck and some kind of funky mask...you could vote for a prize for the best one. :idea:

Celtic Ghoul
Master Reaper

Post by Celtic Ghoul » Mon Sep 11, 2006 2:50 pm

One of my friends had a masquerade ball for her birthday... it was very cool. Her birthday cake was a book, there was a chocolate fountain... There was dancing. Everybody wore a mask. It was surprising who I recognized and who I did not recognize.
While friends and loved ones mourn your silly grave, I have other uses for you, darling. ~ I love the Dead, Alice Cooper

mandy0221
Halloween Master

Post by mandy0221 » Sat Sep 16, 2006 12:55 am

I always think of the Disney Haunted Mansion in Disney World for ideas on decoration. Lots of candleabras, old books, creepy pictures, get that creepy cloth to put over tables etc. Dark and victorian looking