The Myrtles, Louisiana

What are your favorite Haunted Places?
geekmidwinter
Haunt Master
What is the highest number?: 9

The Myrtles, Louisiana

Post by geekmidwinter » Fri Sep 08, 2006 1:18 pm

There is a plantation house in a little town outside of Baton Rouge, Louisiana called St. Francisville, known as The Myrtles. The hotties on Ghosthunters went there, and I've seen it several times on the Travel channel's most haunted series. I've been twice, once just walked the grounds, once took the guided tour. The story is pretty good, the man of the house had an affair with a slave named Chloe, and when his affections were directed to a new slave girl, she was afraid he was going to send her to the fields. She was caught eaves dropping and had one of her ears cut off as punishment. So in revenge, she poisoned the birthday cake of the eldest daughter, and killed the wife and two children. The slaves were afraid of her, so they drug her out of the house and hung her from the big oak tree in the front of the house, then cut her down and threw her in the river.

Ghost sightings there include the ghost of Chloe and the ghosts of the murdered children, and there's a really spooky mirror that no matter how often the clean it keeps getting tiny handprints all over it. And it's out of reach. Weird. You can stay there overnight, it's converted to a bed and breakfast, and you can also hold your wedding there. it's a really beautiful area, I always dreamed of getting married there on Hallween, that would be perfect. Here's a link to the official sight:

http://www.myrtlesplantation.com/

and here's the legend behind it:

http://www.prairieghosts.com/myrtles.html
I saw a werewolf drinking a pina colada at Trader Vic's. His hair was perfect.

Skatha
Ghost
What is the highest number?: 9

Re: The Myrtles, Louisiana

Post by Skatha » Tue Mar 03, 2009 5:01 pm

I hope no one minds me ressurecting this thread. But then isn't that what Halloween is about? Ressurecting the dead? :lol:

Anyway, I, too, have visited The Myrtles Plantation. I think three times altogether, spanning many years. I don't live very far from the plantation and my last visit was last summer. Unfortunately, my friend and I were unable to take the tour as there was repair work being done inside.

If you follow the second link geek provided, you will find not only the tales told about the house, but allegations that the story most often presented isn't true. I'm beginning to feel the same way. That's not to say I believe The Myrtles isn't haunted. It is. But who the ghosts are is another story altogether.

Pumpkin_Man
Halloween Master

Post by Pumpkin_Man » Wed Mar 04, 2009 10:31 am

I saw part of that episode. It was also used to quarter Civil War era prisoners of war if I remember correctly.

Mike

jadewik
Halloween Master
What is the highest number?: 10992

Post by jadewik » Wed Mar 04, 2009 10:49 am

Thanks for necro'ing the post. I don't even recall having read it the first time....

This story sounds a little like the movie "The Skeleton Key".... I also think I've watched something about the place in "Haunted America" or something on The Travel Channel. (...or was it the History Channel?) Either way, the place does sound interesting.

Since you've been there, Skatha-- do you remember how you felt when you were there? Was it just a creepy old house?

TheGreatPumpkin
Master Reaper

Post by TheGreatPumpkin » Wed Mar 04, 2009 12:32 pm

A friend of mine lives close to the Plantation, she is planning a day trip there soon. I will ask for her to post her experience.