When is it ok to start?

What do you like to decorate with? That bucket of blood?
Sheila
Zombie
What is the highest number?: 9

When is it ok to start?

Post by Sheila » Thu Aug 31, 2006 10:17 am

Hey everyone! I was just wondering, when does everyone start decorating their homes? I feel like I can't wait any longer so I was thinking about putting up my fall related stuff (garland, leaves) in september an my Halloween stuff early in October. My friends think I'm crazy but my boyfriend said I could put stuff up whenever I wanted. I just wanted to see what the norm is for fanatics like ourselves. I went to Michaels yesterday and got so excited! They have tons of stuff! I saw a cool crystal ball thing with a fortune teller's head in it and her eyes move when she talks but I couldn't find a price tag. Anyone else know of chains that have started putting stuff out?

midnight kitty
Haunt Master

Post by midnight kitty » Thu Aug 31, 2006 11:10 am

absolutely put the fall stuff up in september. as fo halloween i wait til oct 1st, my wedding anniverary
trick or treat

BlkAsH
Crypt Keeper

Post by BlkAsH » Thu Aug 31, 2006 3:00 pm

I totally agree! I start putting up fall stuff in Sept. and then Oct. 1st rolls around and the Halloween stuff starts going up. I end up leaving the Fall decorations up till the weekend after Thanksgiving usually and then take them down and put up x-mas stuff. Just my 2 cents from this peanut gallery. :)

Pennywise11
Halloween Master

Post by Pennywise11 » Fri Sep 01, 2006 1:53 pm

This weekend is the big event. We're celebrating September tonight and I will slowly start putting things around but by Oct 1st I will have the whole house done and enjoy "living in my own haunted house"!
1, 2, Freddy's Coming For You 3, 4, Better Lock Your Door 5, 6, Grab A Crucifix 7, 8, Better Stay Up Late 9, 10, Never Sleep Again

mandy0221
Halloween Master

Post by mandy0221 » Fri Sep 01, 2006 10:01 pm

I personally start putting fall decore out in early september and halloween things out the last week of september. I have a lot of decorations that take about a weekend to really put up so I like to have a FULL month of my halloween decorations. I wait to put my outdoor decorations up until early october though.

MHooch
Halloween Master

Post by MHooch » Sat Sep 02, 2006 9:06 pm

October first I start wearing Halloween themed clothing, put up indoor and some outdoor decor. But the really intricate stuff, (cemetery, real carved pumpkins, foggers, large standup figures) I put up the week before Halloween. My job reserves the week before Halloween every year as a vacation week for me, they know I'm too busy to work! :lol:

MHooch
Halloween Master

Post by MHooch » Sat Sep 02, 2006 9:08 pm

You know what Sheila? I just reconsidered my answer to your question. When is it OK to start? Anytime YOU want to, honey!! :lol:

Sheila
Zombie

Post by Sheila » Sun Sep 03, 2006 9:35 pm

So I decorated my apartment with fall garland and orange lights yesterday. My boyfriend came home from work and just laughed at me, but im glad he doesn't care as long as I'm happy. I went to Ross today and they had quite a bit of cute stuff. I haven't actually bought anything yet, though.

Celtic Ghoul
Master Reaper

Post by Celtic Ghoul » Tue Sep 05, 2006 5:12 pm

October 1st is kind of my rule but MHooch spoke words of wisdom!
While friends and loved ones mourn your silly grave, I have other uses for you, darling. ~ I love the Dead, Alice Cooper

LittleDollClaudia
Haunt Master

Post by LittleDollClaudia » Wed Sep 06, 2006 7:50 am

Like MHooch said, whenever you feel right. But in past years, I have put mine up beginning on Sept. 21-23, whichever is the first day of Autumn. That way, I can enjoy it for the entire season. Of course in my old apartment that I shared with my fiancee, I put it all up and it didn't come down until we moved. We both love Halloween so it really felt more homey to us. Hell, I have had some stuff up since I moved into my new place in May. And Goddess help me, I keep adding to it!! LOL Good luck!! Have a tremendously spooky Halloween!!
"I dress this way just to keep them at bay 'cause Halloween is every day."-Ministry

geekmidwinter
Haunt Master

Post by geekmidwinter » Wed Sep 06, 2006 12:46 pm

I forced myself to wait until September 1st, and as of now, I have all of my fall type stuff out and a full lighted Halloween Village covering the top of my entertainment center. I'm waiting on my 7-foot lighted arch and rubber blood dripping stuff and some of the other more complicated things until I move in a couple of weeks, but I just could not resist. In fact, the 26th of August I had a dream that it was September 1st, and was so disappointed when I woke up and it wasn't, because that's when I allow myself to start officially decorating.

Celtic Ghoul
Master Reaper

Post by Celtic Ghoul » Wed Sep 06, 2006 4:36 pm

I love you guys! you think like I do! :D
While friends and loved ones mourn your silly grave, I have other uses for you, darling. ~ I love the Dead, Alice Cooper

LivingDeadGirl
Ghost

Post by LivingDeadGirl » Fri Sep 08, 2006 1:17 am

I used to know a guy who would put on a huge haunted house thing in his front yard every year (I think it was because of him that I became obsessed with Halloween), and it took him so much time and effort to get it done by the 31st he'd start in like June or so. It was soooo cool though, like a haunted house and a grave yard, random things popping out at you everywhere, people in creepy costumes waiting in the shadows to jump out at you, lots and lots and LOTS of fog, AND the best part actually was that he always gave out king size candy :D oh and one year there was a guy who was carying his own head and following people around. He said how he had a "copy" of his head made, but I was like 8 years old so I dont remember.
Pack the moon with coffin, eyes so crazy for the dead

Athenagwis
Crypt Keeper

Post by Athenagwis » Sun Sep 10, 2006 6:32 pm

I am new to this board, but LOVE Halloween so much, I cannot wait to get my decorations up. I had everything out on september 1st, but we didn't do any outside decorations ,but one small thing, because my husband didn't want my neighbors to think we were crazy!! I agree that whenever you feel like putting it out, put it out!! If it makes you happy that's all that matters. In fact I have decided that one of my displays (a bunch of halloween knick knacks on top of my cabinets) are staying up all year long. Not because I am too lazy to take them down, but because I LOVE looking at them, so I want to see them all year!! I plan on decorating my whole house in halloween when my kids move out, with one room completely dedicated to our halloween village, and I am going to keep it like that year round, halloween just makes me HAPPY!! :) :) :)

Rachel

MHooch
Halloween Master

Post by MHooch » Sun Sep 10, 2006 11:32 pm

Rachel, every year I leave a few (more) pieces out...a beautiful orange JOL suncatcher, a candleholder shaped like a witch's cauldron, a "pumpkins for sale"sign...I have a meditation altar, and was advised to put on it objects that made me happy and brought me peace, so along with pictures of my family and some flowers, I have a small Halloween figurine on it. It makes me smile just to look at it! :wink: