Cutting down your own tree?

Let's discuss ideas and tips for decorating for Christmas

Cutting down your own tree?

Postby EvilMel on Wed Nov 01, 2006 12:14 pm

Hey guys...just curious who all here goes to a tree farm and cuts down their own tree?

My husband and I have done this for about 6 years now and we love it. The trees are usually a bit cheaper and they last much much longer, meaning I can get it really early. We've gotten bugs in our tree once, but that was from a tree farm in their last year and I think they might not have been taking care of their trees as much as normal.
EvilMel

Postby GreenElf on Wed Nov 01, 2006 12:18 pm

Well the past couple of years we have used a artificial tree in the house due to allergies and stuff. We always had real trees growing up and the smell of the trees oh just bring back memories so much. Now we don't have a tree farm but even though we have a fake tree in our house we still go "Christmas Tree hunting" every year for the grandparents house. IT is so much fun because where we go it is way back in the woods and we have to take a truck in on the big Irving truck logging roads to this giant field of Xmas trees. We pick a couple and cut them down ourselfs. I think the price is 10-15 bucks which is really cheap but it is a bit of a job to get back to the field. I know last year we drove in listening to the Sesame Street Christmas CD and brought a thermos of Hot choclate. IT was a great time.
GreenElf

Postby EvilMel on Wed Nov 01, 2006 1:22 pm

That sounds awesome.

Here in Knoxville we have quite a few tree farms. Last year we tried a new one that it tiurns out was about 3 miles from our house (just a backyard operation, but pretty cool). Most are pretty large though (but farther away).

We got to sit and drink hot chocolate by their fire pit while they blew our tree out and wrapped it up. It was awesome.

I'm not sure where we'll go this year. I am thinking we might go out to one of the larger ones that's a bit further out.

We also have some allergy issues with the tree, but we do it anyways (my husband and I just make sure we take our allergy medicine regularly and ours is controlled).
EvilMel

Re: Cutting down your own tree?

Postby SantaClausCom on Thu Nov 02, 2006 9:32 am

EvilMel wrote:Hey guys...just curious who all here goes to a tree farm and cuts down their own tree?...

One year we went to a tree farm and picked a tree there. However we didn't cut it down, but got it in a pot (big pot). We (well, I) brought it in, decorated it, watered it etc. Then after Christmas I dug a hole in the yard and planted it.

It was pretty cool and something to remember a particular Christmas by...
SantaClausCom
Site Admin

Postby GreenElf on Thu Nov 02, 2006 1:11 pm

well that would be a great idea around here unfortunately I don't think we have potted tree farms where I live. I am always looking for new trees to put in my yard.
GreenElf

Postby EvilMel on Thu Nov 02, 2006 6:30 pm

We actually did that when I was a kid once. The only problem is that I don't think they kept it watered because it didn't live once they put it in the ground. Maybe they didn't water it enough because there was no pot under it! hah hah. It was just a burlap sack with roots in it. I kept wondering how in the heck they were going to water it.
EvilMel

Postby MHooch on Sat Nov 04, 2006 12:23 am

We have been going to the same Christmas tree farm since my daughter's first Christmas. She was only 11 months old and had to be carried around. My husband has spent many a year down on the cold (sometimes wet) ground sawing away. And I don't know about you guys, but we always see a tree right as we walk out that we all say is a good one. But do we ever stop and get that one, get back in the car and go home? No. We walk around freezing our tushies off, looking at tree after tree, until we finally go BACK and get the first one we liked. LOL. :lol: It's kind of a family tradition! I have suggested many times that we get an artificial tree, but my daughter (who is now almost 18) pitches a fit each time, and back to the tree farm we go!
Last edited by MHooch on Mon Nov 06, 2006 1:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
MHooch

Postby EvilMel on Sat Nov 04, 2006 11:42 am

hah hah. We do that exact same thing...gotta make a survey of the trees before going back to the one you saw first. It's like that every year for us too.
EvilMel

Postby MHooch on Mon Nov 06, 2006 1:06 am

Well, I tried to edit the post to say that the daughter was almost 18, but it wouldnt' take for some reason. So there you go.
MHooch

Return to Holiday Decoration