History of Christmas Toys

What crafts do you like to do for Christmas?

History of Christmas Toys

Postby Pholma Pris on Fri Nov 23, 2007 7:15 am

The toy industry came into being around the same time as Clement Clarke Moore's famous poem "A Visit From Saint Nicholas." The picture of Santa Clause bringing toys to children on Christmas day was so endearing that parents fell in step. Tin toys were first produced in 1848 for Christmas by a company called the Philadelphia Tin Toy Manufactory. In the 1850s a clock maker introduced moving mechanisms into toys. Popular children's Christmas toys in the past include Christmas toy train sets, Christmas plush toys, and video games. Movie tie-ins do especially well during the holidays. Today manufacturers introduce new lines around the holidays, and children are always ready to receive the latest and greatest toys. :D :) 8)
Pholma Pris

Postby Ol' Black Pete on Fri Nov 23, 2007 2:55 pm

This is a good thread. I want to see more of this. Looks like I'll have to do some research myself. Thanks for getting this ball rolling Pholma!
Ol' Black Pete

Postby Pholma Pris on Thu Dec 06, 2007 4:47 am

Thank you Ol' Black Pete, thanks a lot for your reply, Advanced Christmas wishes :D :) :P :wink:
Pholma Pris

Re: History of Christmas Toys

Postby santacla on Sun Dec 09, 2007 2:18 pm

That is a nice description of events.

Have you checked out some of the Antique "Night Before Christmas" scans on SantaClaus.com?

Pholma Pris wrote:The toy industry came into being around the same time as Clement Clarke Moore's famous poem "A Visit From Saint Nicholas." The picture of Santa Clause bringing toys to children on Christmas day was so endearing that parents fell in step. Tin toys were first produced in 1848 for Christmas by a company called the Philadelphia Tin Toy Manufactory. In the 1850s a clock maker introduced moving mechanisms into toys. Popular children's Christmas toys in the past include Christmas toy train sets, Christmas plush toys, and video games. Movie tie-ins do especially well during the holidays. Today manufacturers introduce new lines around the holidays, and children are always ready to receive the latest and greatest toys. :D :) 8)
santacla
Site Admin

Postby Winter on Tue Dec 08, 2009 10:53 pm

Great stuff! Learning the history on modern day products is always interesting.
http://www.holidaytrees.blogspot.com/
Official website for Christmas trees. I am obsessed with trees and am always out on the hunt for more. If you have a good photo, send it to me to get it added to the site.

http://www.holidaytrees.blogspot.com/
Winter

Postby vanni on Sat Dec 26, 2009 4:15 pm

very interesting...........thanks 4 d information
vanni

Postby denver8 on Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:40 pm

Pholma Pris wrote:The toy industry came into being around the same time as Clement Clarke Moore's famous poem "A Visit From Saint Nicholas." The picture of Santa Clause bringing toys to children on Christmas day was so endearing that parents fell in step. Tin toys were first produced in 1848 for Christmas by a company called the Philadelphia Tin Toy Manufactory. In the 1850s a clock maker introduced moving mechanisms into toys. Popular children's Christmas toys in the past include Christmas toy train sets, Christmas plush toys, and video games. Movie tie-ins do especially well during the holidays. Today manufacturers introduce new lines around the holidays, and children are always ready to receive the latest and greatest toys. :D :) 8)

Short by insightful facts for people like me :)
denver8

Postby Frothy on Tue Nov 02, 2010 11:19 am

It sure is nice to know how toys came to be, and how the concept of Santa Claus bringing toys to children started.
Frothy

Postby Jina on Sun Nov 07, 2010 11:57 am

I'm sure everyone has figured out it is the retailers who push the toy gift giving at Christmas. Yet I enjoyed toys sooo much when I was a child and when it came time for me to buy toys for my children it seemed I enjoyed them more than they did.
Jina

Postby Frothy on Tue Nov 09, 2010 3:09 pm

Jina wrote:I'm sure everyone has figured out it is the retailers who push the toy gift giving at Christmas. Yet I enjoyed toys sooo much when I was a child and when it came time for me to buy toys for my children it seemed I enjoyed them more than they did.

I think it's the way their eye light up that makes it all worthwhile :) Children are the best recipients. They appreciate everything!
Frothy

Postby thomaskevin on Thu Dec 08, 2011 2:01 am

Nice & Informative Post.. thanks for sharing!!! :D
thomaskevin

Return to Christmas Crafts