Need help with Harry Potter costume

Chat about your costumes
beardeddragongurl
Ghost

Need help with Harry Potter costume

Post by beardeddragongurl » Tue Sep 18, 2007 11:25 am

I am new here and need help with my costume I want to make for Halloween this year. I am planning on making a Nymphadora Tonks costume. I'm trying to make the outfit that she wears in the beginning of movie 5 when she picks up Harry from Privet Drive. I have seen all of the photos but I can't seem to figure out what kind of coat she is wearing. I have everything but that figured out. It seems to be a black coat with snap buttons on it. Its pretty long too, and swishy (sorry for my lack of word creativity). Can anyone help me?

Laydie Witch
Vampire
What is the highest number?: 9

Post by Laydie Witch » Thu Sep 20, 2007 4:36 am

Hi dragongurl

The coat she's wearing is a leather tailed waist coat. you can get them in suade as well, though they are extremely expensive. Tailormade cost thousands, and home made will probably take forever to make. And then theres an idea of using your mum or aunts womens trench coat and modifying it to suit. I suggest just wearing a rock-shirt or leather jacket with studs.

When I dressed my cousin up for Halloween, we went shopping at the salvation army for old stylish 'witch' looking clothes (black long skirt, black shirts etc) and I just modified them. She won the prize that year for Halloween. I dressed her as an evil fairy.
The next year I did the same to her sister and her sister won, she went as a Zombie.

Just use your imagination. Don't go all out on buying stuff, because remember, Halloween is only one day unfortunately. Old used clothes are always the best and they give out the effects.

geekmidwinter
Haunt Master

Post by geekmidwinter » Thu Sep 20, 2007 10:13 am

great ideas, Laydie Witch. I agree, the thrift stores are wonderful places to find costume elements.
I saw a werewolf drinking a pina colada at Trader Vic's. His hair was perfect.

MHooch
Halloween Master

Post by MHooch » Thu Sep 20, 2007 8:40 pm

That coat looks similar to what is called a "duster", maybe you've seen them in cowboy movies, a long black (or other dark color) coat with a long slit up the back for movement...and to fit over the horse's back while riding. I agree, don't spend a fortune...look at the thrift stores and se what you can find. I've even seen calf-length sweaters that would do the trick. Ask your friends and family, you never know what's hiding in their closet.
Draco Dormiens Nunquam Titillandus

beardeddragongurl
Ghost

Post by beardeddragongurl » Fri Sep 21, 2007 10:59 am

Yes, we were planning on going to a lot of thrift stores and are hopefully going to one later today. Thank you everyone, especially MHooch! I think a duster could work.