What do you hand out on Halloween?

What do you do when you Trick or Treat?
AutumnGypsy7
Vampire
What is the highest number?: 9

What do you hand out on Halloween?

Post by AutumnGypsy7 » Sun Sep 02, 2007 12:45 am

Hi everyone!

I was just wondering what you hand out to trick or treaters on Halloween.
I usually buy the bags of mixed Wonka candy that have Laffy Taffy and Nerds. I also give out the tiny candy bars like Snickers and Twix.

So, what do you give to trick or treaters?
I'll bet living in a nudist colony takes all the fun out of Halloween. -Charles Swartz

Haunted Horseman
Halloween Master

Post by Haunted Horseman » Sun Sep 02, 2007 8:47 am

Microwave Popcorn is our usual hand out.

revelesnet
Crypt Keeper

Post by revelesnet » Sun Sep 02, 2007 11:28 am

We always large bags of assorted chocolate it seems to be the favorite in our neighborhood, but as I posted in another thread About 12 years or so ago my wife at the time was one of the ladies in grocery stores that gives away the free samples. Long story short that year we had a large volume of trick or treaters, so as soon as we ran out of candy each child either received a Downey ball or a box of 1 load tide detergent.
Is it Halloween yet? and by the way it's not makeup it's jaundice.

mandy0221
Halloween Master

Post by mandy0221 » Thu Sep 06, 2007 12:42 am

We try to make it interesting. Last year we bought Halloween Juice Boxes from target. I think they were HiC brand and had spooky punch as the flavor. We put them in the fridge to get them cold and would hand them out with some candy. We dont get a whole lot of TOT's so it isn't a high budget purchase.

In previous years we just do candy or order some cheap halloween goodies from oriental trading to hand out.
"Drink up me 'earties Yo Ho. Yo Ho Yo Ho a pirates life for me!"

One Eye'd Jack

Post by One Eye'd Jack » Thu Sep 06, 2007 1:28 am

again.... We're not going to be able to hand anything out... we're going to live in a place where no TOTer's will come.
Does anyone have any suggestions as to how we can GIVE????

jadewik
Halloween Master
What is the highest number?: 10992

Post by jadewik » Thu Sep 06, 2007 1:37 am

Do what I did in college-- Reverse TOT.

Dress up and go door-to-door (or just to friends houses) and give them candy, homemade goodies, a bloody arm... whatever!

... Another idea would be to go to the closest mall or a really Halloweened up house that does and see if they'll let you hand out candy at their place. I know this house in the neighborhood I grew up in would do an elaborate haunt and all the neighbors would just sit on their driveway passing out candy for the whole street.

Dr Strange

Post by Dr Strange » Thu Sep 06, 2007 9:50 am

HA!! That's a funny idea! I might try that this year with the kids. Go around and do a little give and take.

Haunted Horseman
Halloween Master

Post by Haunted Horseman » Thu Sep 06, 2007 8:02 pm

I remember back in the late 70's & early 80's my Grandfather used to walk around our neighborhood on Halloween in custome, stop tricker treaters and hand out candy. The local gang of kids used to really get a kick out of it. I remember thinking how cool it was that a 70 year old man was so into the Holiday. I guess that's who I inherited it from. :D

I miss you Pop! :( Sorry didn't mean to bring things down. I can get a litte too sentimental at times.

Winnie Sanderson
Master Reaper

Post by Winnie Sanderson » Thu Sep 06, 2007 9:22 pm

((((HH))))) I think that's awesome!!!

Haunted Horseman
Halloween Master

Post by Haunted Horseman » Thu Sep 06, 2007 10:10 pm

Thanks Winnie. I appreciate you tolerating the "remember when" game.
:wink:

jadewik
Halloween Master
What is the highest number?: 10992

Post by jadewik » Fri Sep 07, 2007 1:18 am

I try to hand out things that I think are fun... what better way to determine what young kids want than by determining what an older kid thinks is cool.

What can I say... I like play-doh, glow sticks, and full-sized candy bars.... though, some of the other ideas around here are great. I like the microwave popcorn idea.

Also, if I ever do the "Alice in Wonderland" theme (maybe next year, since it's my turn to pick!)... I'm planning on handing out sodas and candybars with little tags attached to them that say "Eat Me" and "Drink Me".

For me, the passing out of the candy is the best part of Halloween, so I try to focus on making that as fun as possible for me and the neighborhood kids.

Winnie Sanderson
Master Reaper

Post by Winnie Sanderson » Fri Sep 07, 2007 2:58 pm

Haunted Horseman wrote:Thanks Winnie. I appreciate you tolerating the "remember when" game.
:wink:

Not only do I appreciate it but I understand how awesome it is to have someone who made the holiday special for us! For me it was my grandma....

mandy0221
Halloween Master

Post by mandy0221 » Sat Sep 08, 2007 8:30 pm

Wow I love how your grandfather walked around really spreading the joy. I wonder if that would work in this day in age or if parents would think the person was trying to give their kids poisen candy. (who knows).
"Drink up me 'earties Yo Ho. Yo Ho Yo Ho a pirates life for me!"

Haunted Horseman
Halloween Master

Post by Haunted Horseman » Sat Sep 08, 2007 10:00 pm

You're right Mandy, I don't think you can do something like that in this day in age without someone panicking and calling the police. It is a shame what our society has become. :(
Because once you cross that bridge, my friend, the ghost is through, his power ends.

Xofer
Zombie

Post by Xofer » Tue Sep 11, 2007 9:23 am

Myself, I usually just get some small cheap candies, like those rockets and bubblegum.

I spend my time and money haunting the yard/garage, so handing out candy is my least favorite. It's trick 'or treating, so I'd rather give them a "trick" by making a cool halloween haunt, and scaring the kids.

Kids don't remember the candy, they remember the cool haunted house down the street.
It's always amusing to see the same kids come back over and over on Halloween night, to see the haunted yard again and get chased by whatever monster I am. What's even more amusing is when the parents keep coming back too, and go home and get their husbands/wives to come check it out. We have such a great time.

I find that the kids could care less about the candy.
Linus: "Never jump into a pile of leaves with a wet sucker."