Your May Halloween movie: CARNIVAL OF SOULS

Discussion of general Halloween topics
uncletor
Halloween Master
What is the highest number?: 9

Your May Halloween movie: CARNIVAL OF SOULS

Post by uncletor » Wed May 09, 2007 5:36 am

I was there in May, 1989 when they brought this one back to the big screen for a very limited release...one of the highlights of my movie watching career
You can't even imagine how strange, eerie, and unsettling this thing looks. Lady survives a car crash but is there after hunted by a ghoul WHAT DOES HE WANT?
Well, if you've seen THE TWILIGHT ZONE you can guesss the rest..but it's the WAY it's done that works here...they use an organ score that is totally freaky..Candice Hilligross wanders through the town in a chilled detached air...when she is alone and practising on the organ..you get the feeling that some else is behind the wheel...so well done...
BUY ONLY THE 81 MIN. version...Sinister Cinema was there first for years with the longest print..and I like the fact that the restored footage in theirs has a faded look..you are reminded this is a movie that had to be saved..and as a movie, it was made by an industrial film company for something like 17 thousand dollars. The guys who made it never made a dime from it. Once a year, a film school would rent it, and the rental fee would just about cover the postage.
But it is SUCH a masterpiece of intelligent horror.
An absolute must see. NIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD learned a LOT from this one...There is NO way ANYONE in 1962 could have been ready for the dance sequence that climaxes the film...or Mary...crawling out of that river at the start, framed against the sun...standing in shock and whimpering a bit as they come and put a blanket on her...or the first time she sees the ghoul...and the LOOK in his eye that removes all doubt about what he wants...
Future events such as these will effect you in the future

tomanderson
Halloween Master

Post by tomanderson » Wed May 09, 2007 5:45 am

Oh yeah. I've had many horror movies recommended to me, and this is one that really is genuinely creepy.

William
Haunt Master

Post by William » Wed May 09, 2007 1:25 pm

Curios about this movie, i never heard about it but i shall look it up on the net :) thx alot
Halloween is coming,be sure to be dead until then, if not all hallows eve will take care

MHooch
Halloween Master

Post by MHooch » Wed May 09, 2007 11:55 pm

AWESOME selection, uncletor.

uncletor
Halloween Master

Post by uncletor » Thu May 10, 2007 10:31 am

the guy who made the movie used to make those EDUCATIONAL movies you had to watch in class..Centron films..you can see one in MYSTERY SCIENCE THEATRE 3000...the one about CHEATING...its in their shorts collection and one of their shows.
Now you can see why I started out with some flicks like BEAUTY AND THE BEAST..the director dug the Cocteau version and wanted to do something that eerie, that dreamy..he also wanted some Bergman in there...that's where the pull of the conversations between the doctor and Candice and the minister and Candice come from..
Got to film in the store for free by letting the manager walk through...
And the building that she is always drawn to...that carnival...is STILL THERE...at least it was back in the late 80's...early 90's...my friends were out there and saw it on the edge of the lake..and the wife just shivered...the sun was starting to go down, just like at the end of the movie... not as dark as it is in the movie, but she KNEW it was going to GET THERE and she didn't have to ask...hubby put the petal to the floorboard and got OUT...
Future events such as these will effect you in the future