Tombstone, AZ + Birdcage Theater: Photos

What are your favorite Haunted Places?
jadewik
Halloween Master
What is the highest number?: 10992

Tombstone, AZ + Birdcage Theater: Photos

Post by jadewik » Sat Sep 13, 2008 12:26 pm

I haven't gone on the Tombstone Ghost Walk yet... but one day, I imagine I will. Here are some photos of my last adventures to the Town Too Tough To Die. I have some Boot Hill photos somewhere from another trip... just need to find where I put them.

First, here are a few photos of the streets of Tombstone:
Below: The Crystal Palace

Below: The Silver Nugget (across the street from the Birdcage Theater)

Below: The Tombstone Courthouse (also a VERY cool museum, though they didn't allow photos inside so I've none from inside the building)

Below: The rear entrance to the OK Corral-- I didn't go inside because there's not really a whole lot to see... it's just a dirt lot.

And now... The Birdcage Theater photos.... Some of you may have seen that episode of Ghost Hunters, where they investigated the Birdcage. I'll post photos so you can see kinda what they were seeing in specific areas.

Below: The front parlor still has the original bar, which I can't even get a full photo of, it's so large.

Below: When you walk through the door from the front parlor into the theater, this is what you'll see. I've altered this photograph slightly to adjust the brightness and contrast, so you can see the room. The original colours can be seen here: Original Photo

Below: These are the "cage" boxes that are suspended from the ceiling. They're closed to the public... Once again, this photo's brightness/contrast has been altered. Please note that the theater is VERY dusty inside. It's likely any "orbs" are dust-specks and not spectres).

Below: You might recall from the Ghost Hunters episode that one of the persons doing the investigation was sitting on the stairs leading up to the stage when they heard the shuffling of cards from inside the box at the bottom of the stairs. This is a photo inside that box. It's blurry because I took it with the "night photograph" setting on, and my hand isn't the steadiest. The fellow who usually rented out this box was a foreigner-- Russian, if I recall correctly-- he'd always play cards in the box. People always teased him mercilessly for being too nice a fellow. One day, he decided he wanted to rid himself of his clean reputation, so he went out and stole a horse-- a major crime in those days. He was convicted and hung for his crime.

Below: The back-stage area where the Ghost Hunters reportedly saw the full bodied ghost. Bear in mind, the bright, white light in the photo is just the reflection of my camera's flash against the plexiglass that's been put up on the walls. The plexiglass has been affixed to the walls to protect them from defacement. If you have the chance to visit the Birdcage, you'll see what I mean by the hundreds of signatures on the wooden walls behind the stage. The stairs leading down are along the back wall, down to the left.

Below: The table where the longest game of poker in history took place:

Below: Photos of the rooms for rent in the Birdcage. The Earps stayed in these rooms at some point. The second photo's brightness/contrast has been altered.... reportedly (as per the guy Ghost Hunters interviewed for this episode), you can sometimes see a spectre in or near the mirror-- the mirror in the second photo.

Below: My favourite thing from the whole shin-digg: The Black Moriah-- Boothill's original hearse. (Located in the area behind the stage.) Reportedly, there have been sightings of a man in or around the hearse in photographs. I think it may be due to the reflections of the numerous amounts of plexiglass in that back area. There are reflective items everywhere.

OctoberChill
Halloween Master

Re: Tombstone, AZ + Birdcage Theater: Photos

Post by OctoberChill » Sat Sep 13, 2008 2:28 pm

You have no idea how much I enjoyed seeing those pics. Thanks for taking the time to post them.

Now how much of that town is in it's original form? Was a lot of it refurbished to look like it did back then or is it the real deal? Either way it's great to see pieces of history like that. I'm gonna go read up on Tombstone.

jadewik
Halloween Master

Post by jadewik » Sat Sep 13, 2008 4:13 pm

OctoberChill wrote:Now how much of that town is in it's original form? Was a lot of it refurbished to look like it did back then or is it the real deal? Either way it's great to see pieces of history like that. I'm gonna go read up on Tombstone.
Most all of Allen Street has buildings that existed back when the town was booming. Many of those buildings have been refurbished/restored to their former glory. The Birdcage Theater is unique in that it has NEVER been refurbished. What you see in there are original items from the town (not necessarily the Theater itself)... the hearse, there's an old Faro table, a barber's chair that Curly Bill sat in, the existing poker table and chairs (though they've been moved around different places in that space beneath the stage since the 1800's). So, as far as things go there, The Birdcage Theater is "the real deal".

Since you liked the photos so much, I posted some more. You can view them here:
Tombstone Photos

Hallow's Queen
Haunt Master
What is the highest number?: 9

Post by Hallow's Queen » Sun Sep 21, 2008 4:52 pm

i heard that place is supposed to be really haunted, i would love to visit there some time. taps did an investigation there too!
H a l l o w ' s Q u e e n

Image Image

TheGreatPumpkin
Master Reaper

Post by TheGreatPumpkin » Sat Feb 07, 2009 12:00 pm

I found one site that had a lot of pictures.

http://www.strangeusa.com/ViewLocation. ... ionid=8702