Halloween music: A Modest Offering

Discussion of general Halloween topics
uncletor
Halloween Master
What is the highest number?: 9

Halloween music: A Modest Offering

Post by uncletor » Tue Aug 15, 2006 3:15 pm

Okay, a while back I got really fed up with those bargin basement halloween song collections you always wind up buying and made my OWN. This one fits on a 90 minute cassette, orginally, but I'm sure you I pod and MP3 kids won't have trouble duping the toons..here goes..
SIDE ONE (hey everybody...remember SIDES??)
'MONSTER MASH' BOBBY 'BORIS' PICKETT AND THE CRYPT KICKERS. #1 for 8 weeks, 1961. Still the all time fave. Performed by Boris Karloff himself on American Bandstand.
'MIDNIGHT MONSTER HOP' JACK AND JIM. Sounds like Chad and Jeremy or Boyce and Hart ("I Wonder What She's Doing Tonight") caught in the cemetary.
'X FILES THEME' MARK SNOW One of the reasons for doing this was to celebrate the names of people who did these great themes. Now you know.
'ROCKEN' IN THE GRAVEYARD' JACKEE MORNINGSTAR. The guy sounds a LOT like Gene Vincent and even has Vincents' backup band, 'The Blue Caps' sound down..and he still can't get any peace and quiet..even in the graveyard..
'I PUT A SPELL ON YOU' SCREAMEN JAY HAWKINS. From 1956. One of the first, and most berserk personalities in rock. Carried on stage in a coffin. Used to perform with a flaming skull named Henry. Got the group totally wastoid before doing this. Song editied WAY down just to get it on air. Find the web site dedicated to tracking down and listing all his offspring. The descriptions from the women are amazing.
'ALFRED HTCHCOCK PRESENTS THEME' STAN WILSON.
'MONSTER HOP' JIMMY DEE. As if Eddie Cochran is stuck in a graveyard and STILL can't find a date. (They have his guitar sound perfected....)
'GRAVEYARD' THE PHANTOM FIVE. Surf Halloween? American International never did a good combo platter of both their monster and surf movies, but you can almost see what it would have looked like listening to this.
'SUPERSTITION' STEVIE WONDER
'I'M THE WOLFMAN' ROUND ROBIN. Okay, who IS this??? It SOUNDS like Dr. John with Mickey Baker (the guitarist from 'LOVE IS STRANGE') behind him. And both sound like they should have laid off the home brew..
'GHOSTBUSTERS THEME' RAY PARKER JR. #1, 1984. At the time, the president of Coca-Cola, who owned Columbia Pictures, worried Ghostbusters would bomb, and drag down his next great idea..a thing he called New Coke. Really.
'YOU CAN GET HIM, FRANKENSTEIN' THE CASTLE KINGS. Another reason to make this in the first place! Absolute, friggen' genius! A total sound-a-like to Danny and Juniors 'Rock and Roll is Here to Stay", but with Halloween lyrics..where Frankenstein winds up with the girl on Bandstand! Best line:"Better call Transylvania 999, and dig my good friend Frankenstein."
'DEVIL WITH THE BLUE DRESS ON'. MITHC RYDER AND THE DETROIT WHEELS. A cheat, not really a Halloween song, but makes more sense then putting on "Wild Thing" by The Troggs which made one Halloween CD I have...
'I WAS A TEENAGE MONSTER' THE KEYTONES. Stick around for 'the beautiufl teenage angel'. Gramma will remember a guy called Lou Christie when she hears it.
'BEWTICHED THEME' WARREN BAKER
'FRANKENSTEIN ROCK' EDDIE THOMAS. Somewhere between Allen Sherman and Stan Freberg..is this frustrated horn dog who can only hug his girl when he takes her to the horror flick. Has a guitar right out of those Flintstones cartoons when they wanted the music to sound what they thought rock and roll was.
'BEETLEJUICE THEME' DANNY ELFMAN. Some people have made whole tapes of just his stuff from Tim Burton movies for Halloween..not a bad idea either..
SIDE TWO
'PURPLE PEOPLE EATER' SHEB WOOLEY. Sold 3 million coplies in 1958. (More then some Elvis singles.) Sheb was a real cowboy and even recorded for the sainted Sun record label.
'MONSTER HOP' BERT CONVEY. Wound up a game show host and Burt Reynolds' pal, but started out with some singles that had a decent back beat. The audio equivalent of sticking a flashlight under his chin and saying:"Boo!"
'TWILIGHT ZONE THEME' MARIUS CONSTANT
'CREATURE FROM THE BLACK LAGOON' DAVE EDMUNDS. Even stars as big as goonie can't seem to hold a date. ("Didn't last 5 minutes in the swim")
'MARTIAN HOP' THE RANDALLS. #16, 1963. In which the entire future career of Klaatu' ("Calling Occupants", remember??) is crammed into about 7 seconds then stomped to death under a beat almost as good as 'Surfer Bird'.
'ANESTHESIA' NATION ROCKEN' SHADOWS. Mad scientist Halloween surf.
'ATTACK OF THE KILLER TOMATOES THEME' LEWIS LEE. "I'm sure gonna miss her/ A tomato just ate my sister."
'MADHOUSE JUMP' THE DAYLIGHTERS. Lost doo wop group struggling to be remembered at ALL. No lp, let alone CD is around. The first single, 1958, on the Bea label is all that's left.
'SOUL MAN' SAM & DAVE. Get it?? Drews' Famous Halloween Tape gave me the idea, another reason to do this..but WHY would he include "Hot Hot Hot"?
'NIGHTMARE BEFORE CHRISTMAS THEME (THIS IS HALLOWEEN)' DANNY ELFMAN.
'FRANKENSTEIN'S DEN' THE HOLLYWOOD FLAMES. Another long gone doo wop group, but they actually have a CD around. Never had a hit, but individual members did after they broke up.
'ADDAM'S FAMILY THEME' VIC MIZZY
'JEKYLL AND HYDE' JIM BURGETT. As if Rick Nelson got fed up being a professional nice guy.
'OUTER LIMITS THEME' HARRY LUBIN.
'SPOOKY' CLASSICS IV.
'OUT OF LIMITS' THE MARKETS. Absolute best rip off of the riff from 'Psycho' EVER. Surf Hitchcock Halloween? You heard it briefly in PULP FICITON.
'THE BLOB THEME' THE FIVE BLOBS. Studio guys doing an early Burt Bacharach hit he SOMEHOW never gets around to performing anymore. #10, L.A. #40 national, 1958. Cocktail Halloween??
'BAD MOON RISING' CREEDENCE CLEARWATER REVIVAL. Another song inspired by those Drews' Famous Tapes. Good idea, but why would he ALSO include 'Brick House', or 'My Sharona'? Really..I'm asking..Why? I don't GET it..
'HAUNTED HOUSE' JUMPEN' GENE SIMMONS. (Not the guy from KISS) #11, 1964. Not bad considering it was the year of the Beatles. For a while, Sid Nathan, the guy who owned King Records, would swap material between his country artists and his blues artists. The idea carried over to Hi Records, in Memphis. Is the guy country, blues, or what?
'EXORCIST THEME (TUBULAR BELLS)' MIKE OLDFIELD. #1, 1974. And after it scared the heck out of everyone, what happened? Sister Janet Mead released "The Lords' Prayer", and became the first gold record ever to come from Australia. Like Michael Keaton says:"...and it just keeps getting funnier and funnier!!"
Last edited by uncletor on Tue Aug 15, 2006 5:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Future events such as these will effect you in the future

Celtic Ghoul
Master Reaper

Post by Celtic Ghoul » Tue Aug 15, 2006 5:51 pm

Man you have some great ones on there...

especially Screaming Jay Hawkins! He definately belongs on that list. Devil with a Blue Dress works for me because it is such a good song.

Now I have to share some of mine:

Classical
Tocatta and Fugue in D Minor by Bach. Definitively one of the creepiest pieces of music ever written.
Carmina Burana by Orff. Don't have a clue what they are singing in Latin, but it sounds like the end of the world.
Hall of the Mountain King by Edvard Grieg
Night on Bald Mountain by Modeste Moussorgsky from Disney's Fantasia

Punk
The Misfits. Anything and everything by them. Especially Halloween. The Misfits are my definitive Halloween band. Definately a personal preference. Some people, rather inexplicably, do not enjoy the Misfits.

Rock
Werewolf in London by Warren Zevon. What an odd man.

I'd probably throw on the theme to Poltergiest...

It will be cool to hear what others think!
While friends and loved ones mourn your silly grave, I have other uses for you, darling. ~ I love the Dead, Alice Cooper

skullychick
Vampire

Post by skullychick » Wed Aug 16, 2006 12:07 am

Thank-you both soo much, I was wondering what to play at my Halloween party :o Being an ipod chick I shall download quite a few songs on your llist = ] Oh, you can also add pretty much the entire disturbed down with the sickness album, & Tim Burton's Classic Nightmare Before Christmas, mostly pertaining to "This is Halloween" cause its uber fantastic.
When there's no more room in Hell,thedeadwill walk the Earth.

tantraman
Halloween Master
What is the highest number?: 10992

Post by tantraman » Mon Aug 28, 2006 6:15 pm

i have one like that it had the usual and twightlight zone and some others it was called spooky sounds I love it.
happy happy halloween silver shamrock.

Please check out our new horror movie blog check our the first post on our new horror movie blog https://horrormoviehallofflames.wordpress.com/

Shad O. Deville
Zombie

Post by Shad O. Deville » Mon Aug 28, 2006 8:56 pm

i would have to add anything from mannheim steamroller's album called halloween (hey, if its mannheim steamroller, u know its gonna ROCK) esp. funeral march of the marionnette because its uber-creepy and fantastic. plus (being a broadway junkie, i have to add this) pretty much the whole soundtrack to little shop of horrors for some lighter stuff and too much exposition, urinetown, cop song, act one finale, snuff that girl and why did i listen to that man from urinetown for some funny stuff thats still got a seriously KU-REEPY sound to it.
just my little additions. :D
Shad O. Deville, Shad O. Deville, if she doesn't scare you (with her endless raving) no evil thing will... *roars*

uncletor
Halloween Master

Post by uncletor » Tue Aug 29, 2006 7:53 pm

Okay, I gather some of you might have a bit of trouble finding some of the more OBSCURE songs I listed above...here's the sources..
HALLOWEEN HITS (RHINO) covers all the heavy hitters for the season..easy to spot with the two skeletons on the front. A good second choice would be the double Lp or CD of ELVIRA'S HAUNTED HITS...it comes with almost all of the above plus the Dave Edmonnds I mention, Oingo Boingo, and Warren Zevon.
HORROR HOP (BUFFALO BOP) is the source for MOST of the obscure stuff that in some cases even I couldn't uncover info about..Subjects for further reasearch...MONSTER BOP (BUFFALO BOP) and DOO WOP HALLOWEEN (WANDA) All are available at NORTON RECORDS...you GOTTA get their catalog...an amazing mail order outfit that specializes in retro rock and roll, surf, soul, honkers, shouters, blasters, greasers, hip chicks, gone daddys, and the coolest sounds you never heard, great vintage concert posters...and amazing life affirming CD's and Lps that remind you why Rock and roll was invented in the first place..your best source for Mexican Rock and Roll Rumble..and written in the style of the times..Can your heart stand the strain???
Future events such as these will effect you in the future