this year i want a decorative snowman, a really big one!!

Let's discuss ideas and tips for decorating for Christmas

this year i want a decorative snowman, a really big one!!

Postby tillytoo on Wed Oct 20, 2010 4:29 am

this year i am going all out like never before on the decorations... so i am looking for a massive decorative snowman, reckon the kids will just love it. ive had a quick check on ebay http://shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_trksid=p3907.m570.l1313&_nkw=decorative+snowman&_sacat=See-All-Categories and on price comparison sites http://www.twenga.com/dir-Housewares,Party-seasonal-decorations,Decorative-Snowman but there is nothing garish enough, i want something so big its offensive, maybe even to go outside my house, we have a good front lawn so i could make use of that!
any tips from regular xmas decorators???
thanks guys
and hey
happy xmas!!
tillytoo

Re: this year i want a decorative snowman, a really big one!

Postby Jina on Sun Nov 07, 2010 12:06 pm

What about those giant snowmen they fill with air from some circulating fan? Those can be pretty big. I'd go for one of those over those hard plastic things. I don't know. Maybe I haven't seen any new and innovative hard plastic snowmen. I'll have to look when I go to the home building store. They have a pretty good supply.
Jina

Postby tillytoo on Mon Nov 08, 2010 6:23 am

thanks, i reckon a blow up one would certainly be easier to store and to transport too...
do they sell these types of things in hardware stores then? i have never seen them there!
tillytoo

Postby mesmark on Mon Nov 22, 2010 7:09 pm

I'd think with a little work you could make something huge for much less than it would cost to buy something.

Since you'll be using Christmas lights, you just need to build your skeleton structure. A snowman is easy because it's just 2-3 balls. I'd get down to the home improvement store and see what you can get. If you are good with a jigsaw yo can get plywood and just cut 2 sets of circles out the largest diameter you can. Then add cross beams and secure them all to a pole. Then you'd have your first ball. Wrap it with as many Christmas lights as you'd like.

For things like eyes and a mouth, try to find a cheap glass ashtray or even large plastic jewel from the kids store. With all of the Christmas lights wrapped on your ball, it should glow like crazy. So, you just need to great a translucent color change for the features.

Anyway, I say make it yourself if you can. You'll have something unique. It will be exactly what you want or at least close. It will be cheaper than buying something that will do. On top of that, you can tell everyone, "Yeah, I made that."
mesmark

Postby ANGELPUGS on Fri Nov 26, 2010 7:34 am

is this anything like christmas with the kranks and that big frosty?The blowups are nice as they all come in large sizes i've seen homes with a couple of them set up.Good luck to you.
2j29mqb.gif
2j29mqb.gif (6.43 KiB) Viewed 1594 times
ANGELPUGS

Return to Holiday Decoration