I HAVE AN IDEA

Discussion of general Halloween topics
tomanderson
Halloween Master

Post by tomanderson » Fri Jan 05, 2007 10:45 pm

Yeah...the original film is one of my favorite 70's horror films!

I put up a long-winded review of it at imdb...

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0068370/usercomments-54

thislazylife
Haunt Master
What is the highest number?: 9

Post by thislazylife » Sat Jan 06, 2007 8:44 pm

Tom did you actually write that review?
If so, we probably were watching it at the same time on the same channel. I'm 39 and lived in L.A. until I was 16. Channel 9 was KHJ -TV back then. I was definitely one of those confused kids back then, watching a movie that scared the <deleted> outta me. Remember back then how TV Guide used to call horror movies "melodramas"?
Two other movies I watched back then (that scraed the <deleted> outta me) were "Warlock Moon" and "Twisted Brain". Did you catch those?
Laurie stares at the station wagon as it moves past. She looks directly at The Shape inside. There is a quick glimpse of him, a strange pale face staring back.

tomanderson
Halloween Master

Post by tomanderson » Sat Jan 06, 2007 10:13 pm

Yes, I did write that review, and I am about the same age as you are!

What I very fondly remember was that warning they would run before especially harsh movies: "While the following movie has been edited for television, it contains scenes which may not be suitable for children. Parental discretion IS advised..."

This movie was one of those movies they always had to run that disclaimer in front of. Whenever I saw that at the beginning of a movie, I was generally assured that the movie would be worth watching!

I haven't seen "Warlock Moon" but I have seen Twisted Brain, and I reviewed that for imdb also...great horror film, that one.

Pennywise11
Halloween Master

Post by Pennywise11 » Mon Jan 08, 2007 9:43 am

Cool, thanks
1, 2, Freddy's Coming For You 3, 4, Better Lock Your Door 5, 6, Grab A Crucifix 7, 8, Better Stay Up Late 9, 10, Never Sleep Again

thislazylife
Haunt Master

Post by thislazylife » Mon Jan 08, 2007 6:06 pm

No post today folks. I'm running out of interesting Halloween related terminologies to Google . . . but here is something I noticed not to long ago.
July. August. September. October. November.
What do these months have in common?
Their first letters spell out J A S O N.

Kill kill. Mom mom.
Laurie stares at the station wagon as it moves past. She looks directly at The Shape inside. There is a quick glimpse of him, a strange pale face staring back.

MHooch
Halloween Master

Post by MHooch » Tue Jan 09, 2007 1:41 am

Lazy, only YOU would notice that!! You are getting bored, aren't you!

thislazylife
Haunt Master

Post by thislazylife » Tue Jan 09, 2007 6:14 pm

Bored of Halloween? Never!

But this site will provide minutes of fun!

http://cavernsofblood.com/blasthebums/index.htm

Enjoy!

tomanderson
Halloween Master

Post by tomanderson » Tue Jan 09, 2007 9:24 pm

Here's something I got in the mail today. I NEED YOUR HELP figuring out when this was made! Based on the design, my guess is late 50's/early 60's.

To my eyes it looks like it was produced well before the big Monster Craze of the mid-late 60's. The ghost almost has an older look to him.

And look at the witch's hat...it is not a pointed cone but has a flat top! Looking back on old postcard illustrations, most witch's hats are pointed cone hats, and very few are like this one.

http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m108 ... 1168396220

thislazylife
Haunt Master

Post by thislazylife » Wed Jan 10, 2007 3:15 am

I'd say, judging by the price, it's probably late 50's early 60's.

thislazylife
Haunt Master

Post by thislazylife » Wed Jan 10, 2007 3:59 am

Alright folks, I found some of the more convincing footage from Ghost Hunter's visit to Waverly Hills Sanitorium. Creepy stuff here. You were warned.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yH_YRLcL ... ed&search=

EvilMel
Haunt Master

Post by EvilMel » Wed Jan 10, 2007 10:26 am

I love the blast a horror movie icon link!! That's awesome!

thislazylife
Haunt Master

Post by thislazylife » Wed Jan 10, 2007 6:08 pm

Just wanted to say that this thread has now been viewed over 6000 times. Amazing! I guess this means you like it, you really like it.

Required reading:
http://www.theonion.com/content/node/30615

thislazylife
Haunt Master

Post by thislazylife » Thu Jan 11, 2007 3:24 pm

This is a low-brow spoof of "Most Haunted". Some of you might find it digusting. I thought it was, at times, hilarious. Probably because I often doubt the shows authenticity.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bT8Su44TXy8

MHooch
Halloween Master

Post by MHooch » Thu Jan 11, 2007 10:45 pm

tomanderson...do you collect vintage Halloween things? If so, could you recommend a good intro book? Of course my family would probably croak if they saw me reading a book on Halloween collectibles!

tomanderson
Halloween Master

Post by tomanderson » Fri Jan 12, 2007 5:28 am

Hi MHooch, I am only a beginner really. I have a bit of this and a bit of that, and I have some things I had as a kid. I have noticed that really vintage collectibles are pricey, or they can be--people paying surprising amounts for an old postcard from 1900 or an old cardboard skeleton from 1930, for example. So I have definite reservations about getting "serious" about collecting this stuff, and I am more inclined to wait around for the occasional bargain to float by.

The paper treat bags I bought, I thought, were very reasonable at about eight dollars plus postage, especially since these appear to be among the oldest examples. I've seen nice little assortments of different treat bags for ten dollars or so per assortment...

I have only one book on the subject but I got lucky when I picked it:

"Halloween: Collectible Decorations and Games" by Pamela Apkarian-Russell

It is a great book, covers a surprising amount of ground and gives a good sense of what things might be worth on the collectible market. It is a glue-bound oversized paperback, and the binding on my copy is very poor, the pages popped out of the cover the first time I opened the book. But I don't care, because the book is so good.