Traditional or ??

Share your recipes and cooking tips!

Traditional or ??

Postby littledollclaudia on Mon Nov 06, 2006 5:16 am

Does everyone have a turkey for Christmas? I have made everything from cornbeef to enchiladas. It just depends on what we are in the mood for that year. I have usually made a turkey most years though.
~On the 13th day of Christmas, my ghoul love gave to me...~
littledollclaudia

Postby EvilMel on Mon Nov 06, 2006 9:11 am

Actually we typically end up at my husband's aunt and uncle's house. They have a goose usually.

At my grandmother's house (which is the other place we end up at if we aren't at the other one) we usually have steaks. Steaks seem so totally non-festive to me. Plus for the past 11 years I haven't eaten red meat, so I usually end up with a dry piece of chicken.

You can see why we like to go to his aunt and uncle's house.
EvilMel

Postby GreenElf on Mon Nov 06, 2006 10:11 am

Well we always have Turkey but we usually have a few stops to make on Christmas to my mother in laws for Christmas Turkey dinner @ noon and then to my parents house for Christmas supper @ 6..... Luckily I absolutely love turkey then I will ususally have my dinner on boxing day or the 27th with about 20 people...I cook two turkeys or one turkey and one ham.... hmmm yum...
It's a beaut Clark, it's a beaut!
GreenElf

Postby MHooch on Wed Nov 08, 2006 1:13 am

Traditional Christmas dinner at my house growing up (and still at my mom's) is Roast Beef and Yorkshire Pudding. My mother is a first generation American, and her dad brought his love of beef with him from England. It's great stuff, the pudding is a bread cooked like a popover, and then smothered in the good beef gravy. YUM! Now thinking about THAT will get me in the mood. :lol:
MHooch

Postby ronniebeth on Tue Nov 14, 2006 2:09 am

We used to just make snacky foods and treats for Christmas dinner, but when my husbands job moved us away from family (he's in the military) we started our own family tradition of a huge Christmas dinner. We have cinnamon rolls or something similar for breakfast and snacky foods for lunch. Then while the kids are playing with and breaking their new gifts :lol: I make a huge dinner. Some years it's ham and some years it's turkey...just depends on the mood :D
Always,

Shar
ronniebeth

Postby EvilMel on Tue Nov 14, 2006 8:47 am

On Christmas eve I used to always go spend time with my dad's side of the family. My uncle and his wife on that side don't really eat big dishes...they pretty much only eat appetizers. So we always ate a bunch of appetizers. It was plenty of food for a full meal...but totally bizarre. It wasn't like a party or anything. It was like sitting down to a Christmas dinner with your family and only having things like small stuffed mushrooms and cheese and crackers.

Weird! But I didn't mind because I thought it was really different.

Here's the weirdest part though...they would get a ham. My dad's side of the family is nuts about ham. But I never liked ham, when I was growing up...always hated it. It seemed kinda slimy and I just plain did not like the taste. But my grandmother persisted in trying to get me to eat ham every stinking year. Then I stopped eating red meat for like 10 years and she still, every single year, would try to get me to eat it...not because she thought I would eventually change my mind about it, but instead because she just never remembered that I disliked it!

I swear I had the same conversation with her each year:

G: Mel-a-nie would you like some haaaa-aam (very very southern)?

Me: No, don't like ham and don't eat red meat, thanks.

G: Well I never met ANY-body who didn't like haaaa-aam.

I'm not joking either...ask my husband...same conversation every single year.

I swear I wanted to just shake her each time. Eventually it got to be really funny though.
EvilMel

Postby patsfan24 on Tue Nov 14, 2006 7:44 pm

my family usually has cinimon buns for breakfast, whatever we can find for lunch, and then either ham or turkey for dinner, whichever we feel like typically
clark griswald:you didn't have to get us anything

uncle louis: oh damnit he guessed it
patsfan24

Postby GW on Mon Feb 26, 2007 4:24 pm

We usually have a ham for Christmas since we've just had a turkey for Thanksgiving. It's always one or the other no matter which family we go to or who comes to our house.
GW

Postby Jack Frost on Thu Aug 09, 2007 12:15 pm

I've always wanted Turducken, a duck inside chicken inside a turkey. You can only get them a specialty meat shops and they are kind of pricey. Add to that my family are not very adventurous when it comes to holiday festivities and it may be a while before I get to try one.
Jack Frost

Re: Traditional or ??

Postby mandy891 on Wed Jun 16, 2010 6:21 am

We have always had Turkey on Christmas Day and the usual vegetables like potato's carrots etc, and had Egg Salad for starter and them Christmas Pudding. Basically what they say on this website:

http://www.giftsthischristmas.co.uk/traditionalchristmasdinner.php
mandy891

Re: Traditional or ??

Postby Jina on Tue Sep 21, 2010 5:57 pm

Are Christmas meal really wasn't what I would call traditional it was more like snacky food and sandwiches with some side salads and a desert. That way people could show up at different times and still have food available. The focus it seemed was the gift giving and visiting with the friends along with the family that was always invited over to share.
Jina

Return to Holiday Recipes