Ideas for Outside of An Apartment

What do you like to decorate with? That bucket of blood?
Kallure
Ghost

Ideas for Outside of An Apartment

Post by Kallure » Sun Sep 24, 2006 9:37 pm

Hi everyone! I'm new here and am looking for some ideas on decorating. I've done some searches but haven't found what I'm looking for and everyone seems to have such good suggestions so I thought I'd see what you all can offer.

This will be the first year I get to decorate outside and have people see it, as I've previously been in an apartment where my front door is on a hallway instead of directly to outside.

Right now, my problem is that while I can decorate, it's still an apartment, so I'm limited as to what I can do outside. I'm on the second floor and there is a wall that goes halfway up, so while you can see my "area" from the ground, the only part I have to work with is the top half and the ledge.

The positive part is I also have a screen porch that faces the front and two large windows. Plus, the stairs and porch create a liitle "hallway" that could be spooky once people come up the stairs.

I guess I'm looking to see what people have done in the past who don't neccessarily have access to a yard, porch, driveway or a "ground". I have to work up, from the ceiling, the windows, etc.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated! THANKS!!! I'm so excited because Halloween is my absoulte favorite holiday.

MHooch
Halloween Master
What is the highest number?: 9

Post by MHooch » Sun Sep 24, 2006 10:28 pm

Ok Kallure: First, welcome to the board! :D Lots of orange lights, maybe up the stair rail if you can get electricity out there. Jack O' Lanterns along the ledge of the wall. Nothing says "Halloween" like a grinning (or grimacing) JOL. 8) Is it like a balcony kind of space? You could always set up some life sized props, (grim reaper, zombie, Frankenstein) at least you could see them from the waist up. In the windows you could use silhouettes, or more life sized props, backlit. A fog machine would be great out on the balcony, but when you're placing the machine be aware that fog could obstruct peoples' view of the stairs, not good for safety reasons. :( Lots of cobwebs, always, everywhere. Signs at the bottom of the stairs: "Danger ahead" "Do Not Enter" "Turn Back Now" that sort of thing. Halloween wreath on front door. Hang a ghost out on the balcony, or the screened porch, easy to make with sheets or gauzy white fabric. Remember, ANY Halloween decoration is better than NO Halloween decoration!! Look at a website called 101Halloweenideas.com. They have all kinds of great ideas and how-to's. Good luck and HAVE FUN!!! :D

mandy0221
Halloween Master

Post by mandy0221 » Mon Sep 25, 2006 12:34 am

MHooch I couldnt have said it better myself. I love the ideas!!!! I agree with lights and cobwebs......classics

LittleDollClaudia
Haunt Master

Post by LittleDollClaudia » Mon Sep 25, 2006 4:56 am

All good ideas!! When I lived in my apt., I had a second floor balcony too and we did the lights wrapped all around as well as some of those fill up pumpkin bags and signs on the walls. Also put lanterns hanging from the eaves and those silly shaky ghosts that make noises when you walk by. Lots and lots of spiderwebs and a speaker in the window to play spooky music when neighbors walked by. Of course a cheesy doormat that shrieked when you stepped on it. Little Halloween knicknacks on the windowsill too so the kids can see them. If you can get away with it, get some black turf they sell at Home Depot. Really helps the effect. A black light bulb in your porch light doesn't hurt either. Or one of those light covers.
"I dress this way just to keep them at bay 'cause Halloween is every day."-Ministry

Kallure
Ghost

Post by Kallure » Fri Sep 29, 2006 3:33 pm

Hi All!! Thanks for the welcome and the great ideas. They're really going to help. I'm resurfacing some of my interior decorations from storage and will be heading out to buy the outside ones so I can begin decorating this weekend. I'm soooo excited!

We have a balcony, but it's not open - where the open rails would be there's a wall up to your waist, so I have to work with the top part to see from the street and the rest will be when people come up the stairs to visit.

The neighbor already said it was cool that I do the stairwell as long as I don't jump out and scare him! :-)

Anywho, thanks again for the ideas and I'll be sure to post pictures of the finished product.

MHooch
Halloween Master

Post by MHooch » Fri Sep 29, 2006 4:19 pm

Oh Yes, we LOVE pictures!!!

MiSage
Ghost

Post by MiSage » Sat Sep 30, 2006 11:05 pm

Spookie silhouettes.... trees, cats, bats... rats.... a moon?

mandy0221
Halloween Master

Post by mandy0221 » Sun Oct 01, 2006 12:44 pm

Walgreens and Walmart have these light uo skeletons with yard stakes that are around 5 feet tall. You could put the stake in a flower pot filled with dirt or just hang the skeleton from the roof or your patio if you have one.

Also there are lots of light up window pieces with suction cups so you may try those too.