What do you make?

Share your recipes and cooking tips!

What do you make?

Postby Snow-flake on Sun Nov 12, 2006 11:48 pm

What traditional things do you make every year, or what do you remember your family making as a kid?

My one grandma always made apricot and prune rolls...like nut rolls.

I would kill for some of my grandma's chicken noodle soup, it was awesome-she made home made noodles.

I love nut roll, it is one of my favorites.

I make shortbread every year...that's my families Scottish tradition.

I make sugar cookies, peanutbutter and chocolate walnut fudge, and turtles.

My mom makes peach brandy.

We also make raisin filled and fruit filled cookies.

I love all the foods at Christmas! Yummy! I can't wait to get started.
Snow-flake

Postby GreenElf on Mon Nov 13, 2006 8:14 pm

Yeah I always make short breads at Christmas time. I love how they just melt in your mouth. Yum.. Coffee bread is another, sugar cookies are a good one as the kids can easily decorate them after....I like trying the little holiday receipes in books and even if they taste alright they never look as pretty as they do in the pictures... :lol:
It's a beaut Clark, it's a beaut!
GreenElf

Postby ronniebeth on Tue Nov 14, 2006 2:05 am

I make rum balls....and get sick eating as many of them as I can :LOL:

I also make caramel corn, fudge, peanut brittle and as many cookies as my husband will allow :lol: And on Christmas Eve I bake an Angel Food cake so that on Christmas afternoon we can turn it into a birthday cake and sing happy birthday to Jesus. It's a tradition my grandmother started with her family as a young child and continued with her children. The grandchildren and the greatgrandchildren carry on the tradtition today :D
Always,

Shar
ronniebeth

Postby merrychristmas on Thu Sep 27, 2007 5:49 am

I have a question for all who like to bake at Christmas..........I love baking but never seem to get as much done as I'd like to. Someone suggested that I start early and freeze what I make as I go along. It's a good idea but what I'm wondering is when to start? How long can cookies, bars etc be in the freezer and still taste fresh? One person told me 6 weeks another said three months. Any suggestions............thanks in advance.
merrychristmas

Postby msclaus on Fri Oct 05, 2007 5:25 am

My mother freezes cookies and stuff for months. And they are just fine, never had a problem with them.

My mom makes what are called poorboys, its a cake type bar with a creamcheese icing, we love it and it's a tradition. Of course rum balls, peanutbutter cookies, sugar cookies, all the usual stuff. And I carry on those for my family.
I may grow older, but I refuse to grow up.
msclaus

Postby merrychristmas on Fri Oct 05, 2007 6:51 am

Thanks for the info msclaus. From what you've told me I can start anytime. Monday is our Canadian Thanksgiving and my weekend off (I have to work every other one) so what better time to get started :lol:
merrychristmas

Return to Holiday Recipes