Christmas Music

Talk about movies, television shows and music!

Postby Dudley on Sat Nov 11, 2006 12:29 pm

one of the residents we had here who went back to S.E. Asia has taught his friend the song, and they sang it to me over the phone the other day...they have the words down pat...and it makes me cry and laugh at the same time.."Okay, hoser..."
Run run Rudolph, Santa's got to make it on time..
Dudley

Postby Dudley on Sat Nov 11, 2006 4:00 pm

another good lp...

ELVIS' CHRISTMAS ALBUM

One of the first and the best. Get the version that has the four hymns he sang, instead of MAMMA LIKED THE ROSES and WHY CAN'T EVERY DAY BE CHRISTMAS...those were added years later after the scrapped the hymns...the ones with the hymns like PEACE IN THE VALLEY came first. The rock and roll stuff is some of the best he ever did...
Dudley

Postby Dudley on Sun Nov 12, 2006 8:45 am

Two ablums by two ladies, about ten years apart.

NOEL Joan Baez. Traditional Christmas music performed by Baez with lutes, violas, harpsicords strings, winds, and even features a couple of intstrumentals, and Baez singing two songs in German.

LIGHT IN THE STABLE. Emmylou Harris. Features the talents of James Burton, Ricky Scaggs, Rodney Crowell. Backing vocals by Willie Nelson, Linda Ronstadt, Dolly Parton, Neil Young.

Both are very reverent, with an acoustic, fresh feel to them. It won't kick the party up an notch, but might get you into a peaceful mood of spiritual appreciation for the holiday. The early Christians adapted a custom from the Jews, who would clean their houses for sabbath. At Christmas, they would have advent, a time to clean house spiritually to welcome the season. My best memory of listening to these is the year Baby Brother and I got a tree and were bringing it home in the pickup. It was a clear Saturday, with some light snowfall drifting across the road, sunshine, and more snow falling like dust from the trees as the birds flew from branch to branch. And in the truck, the warm heater and the crystal clear sounds of Emmylou as she sang;"Christmas time is coming..Christmas time is coming.."
Dudley

Postby MHooch on Sun Nov 12, 2006 11:36 pm

OMG, Dudley, Emmy Lou and Joan, I'm getting all choked up...
MHooch

Postby Dudley on Wed Nov 22, 2006 6:04 am

BING CROSBY White Christmas.

Maybe the most owned Christmas record in the world...if you don't have it, you are missing out on a tradition...economically available in any format you can name...

what are you waiting for?
Dudley

Postby Thom on Thu Nov 23, 2006 9:40 pm

Ah Bing Crosby - White Christmas is a classic, always guaranteed to get me in the Christmas spirit.

I really like the Beach Boys Christmas album, and in turn one Brian Wilson released last year, called What I Really Want For Christmas. Some lovely interpretations of some of the best carols, as well as some nice new tunes. There's been a couple mentioned from it I think already, but the Phil Spector Christmas album is really quite good too.

There's so much more I could go on about. But theres a few bits Dudley, you've mentioned especially I've not heard I'll have to check out.
Thom

Postby Dudley on Fri Nov 24, 2006 11:50 am

RAY CHARLES CHRISTMAS ALBUM

You hear the best track when Clark is stuck in the attic, and crying over the home movies he is watching...
Dudley

Previous

Return to Holiday Entertainment