My Sculpey Adventure!

What crafts are fun for the holiday season?
One Eye'd Jack

My Sculpey Adventure!

Post by One Eye'd Jack » Fri Jun 01, 2007 2:00 am

I'm GOIN for it. I've been giving this some thought for awhile and I think this is something that I can really make work.
I'm going to design, create and (hopefully) sell, Halloween Figurines. Ghouls, Gobblins, Witches, Reapers and of course... Pumpkin Heads!

I've tried all kinds of artistic mediums in the past but I've never tried sculpting before so I'm going to start out simple but, If I can prove to myself that I really do have something here, I've got some ideas for some things that I've not seen before.

Tonight, I bought my first set of supplies and tools and we'll just see how it goes. I'll post pics of my projects as I develop them and I REALLY want you all to be honest with me!!!!!!!
If you want to remain annonymous to others you can feel free to PM me with constructive critique. You're all my friends here, and in part, it's all of you who have inspired me to get started on this, so fire away!

Dutchess of Darkness
Halloween Master
What is the highest number?: 9

Post by Dutchess of Darkness » Fri Jun 01, 2007 2:06 am

Hey OEJ, Good for you! I think thats so awesome :D I can't wait to see your first piece. I think you'll do great, and yes please post photos as you go along, oh boy now I'm getting really excited. This is fantastic news OEJ, your first piece will be a real cause for celebration. Bet we'll be your first customers :D

One Eye'd Jack

Post by One Eye'd Jack » Fri Jun 01, 2007 2:37 am

Oh WOW! (heh heh) I really didn't expect a responce at least til I posted my first pics. Thanks you so much for your encouragment, DOD! It really means a lot!

geekmidwinter
Haunt Master

Post by geekmidwinter » Fri Jun 01, 2007 8:39 am

I can't wait to see them, from what I've seen of your personal style, they'll be great!
I saw a werewolf drinking a pina colada at Trader Vic's. His hair was perfect.

deadbride
Master Reaper

Post by deadbride » Fri Jun 01, 2007 9:41 am

I love working with Fimo or Sculpey clay. I do miniatures for dollhouses. I made tacos. LOL Just one of the fun things I made. I did a pumpkin, a turkey dinner, vegetables, plants, oh, I did eggs and bacon, too, and various other miniature items. I had a lot of fun. I know you'll do great. Have fun, that is the main issue. Good luck. Can't wait to see pics. :)
I may grow older, but I refuse to grow up.
I'm not weird, just normal challenged.

One Eye'd Jack

Post by One Eye'd Jack » Sat Jun 02, 2007 12:40 am

That sounds VERY cool, DB. I'd LOVE to see pics! And perhaps you could through me some pointers while you're at it! Thanks for the encouragement!

Haunted Horseman
Halloween Master

Post by Haunted Horseman » Sat Jun 02, 2007 6:16 pm

Good Luck OEJ.
Can't wait to see the pics. Never tried sculpting, been a pencil sketcher most of my life. I've always admired good sculptures.

One Eye'd Jack

Post by One Eye'd Jack » Sat Jun 02, 2007 11:40 pm

Thanks HH. Time (and y'all) will tell me if I'm meant for this medium.

One Eye'd Jack

Post by One Eye'd Jack » Sat Jun 09, 2007 10:51 pm

I've been REALLY getting into this. This is SOOO much fun! Had I known I would've gotten into it sooner.

the Mrs. Jack is a bit afraid. She says that everytime I get some wild idea I always end up spending hundreds, if not thousands of dollars. Hehehe. :twisted: Books, tools, supplies, instructional videos and DVD's .... MWAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!

If only I had more time. I'm trying to complete this figurine and scene of my avatar character coming out of the grave. I'd show some pictures but I don't want to give it away till I'm finished.

Dutchess of Darkness
Halloween Master

Post by Dutchess of Darkness » Sun Jun 10, 2007 2:02 am

Hey OEJ, Can't wait to see your first piece! SO glad you're enjoying it so much. I need to get back into a hobby.

MHooch
Halloween Master

Post by MHooch » Mon Jun 11, 2007 12:44 am

Yeah, OEJ!! I understand about the money thing. I made my first scrapbook in Jan for my daughter's 18th birthday, and that little 8"X8" book wound up costing me about $300.00 by the time I bought all the supplies I needed (or thought I needed :lol: ). So now I have to keep up the hobby to make use of all the tools I bought, right? LOL!
Draco Dormiens Nunquam Titillandus

Dutchess of Darkness
Halloween Master

Post by Dutchess of Darkness » Mon Jun 11, 2007 1:06 am

OMG MHooch! $300 :cry: I bought a beautiful brand new Scrapbooking album at Value Village for $9.99 regualr price tag was still on it, $49.00 I bought it to do my memorial album for my baby girl Bonkers who passed away. But as of yet I haven't bought anything to start it, and by the sounds of what you've just said, it will be waiting awhile for sure,ug!

deadbride
Master Reaper

Post by deadbride » Mon Jun 11, 2007 2:47 am

Well at least my sewing is an ongoing habit oops hobby that pays off most of the time. I invest and it pays for itself sooner or later. And my diaper cakes do to eventually. I've spent thousands on fabric and trims over the years. I have a storage unit packed to the roof with fabric and halloween stuff. Plus my dining room looks like a fabric store threw up in it. :lol: I have 5 sewing machines and 3 sergers. Plus other craft stuff. I dabble in everything I can get my hands in. :roll:

Oh yeah I'll look for my little sculpture pieces as soon as I can and take a pic. Forgot to this weekend. Sorry. :oops:
I may grow older, but I refuse to grow up.
I'm not weird, just normal challenged.

MHooch
Halloween Master

Post by MHooch » Wed Jun 13, 2007 12:01 am

DOD, you know who has reasonable scrapbooking supplies? Oriental Trading. Just go to orientaltrading.com and click on scrapbooking. I also keep an eye open for clearance items at WalMart. And once you make the initial investment in cutters, scissors, rulers, glues and a cutting mat, (and other things that you can use over and over), you just have to replenish the paper goods part. Just take it slow and look for sales. They even have special paper, stickers and such with kitty and puppy (actually all kind of pets) themes on them. :D I have a whole bunch of Halloween themed stuff, I just need to start putting it together with some pics. (And I bought them all on sale after Halloween last year at WalMart! :lol: )
Draco Dormiens Nunquam Titillandus

One Eye'd Jack

Post by One Eye'd Jack » Wed Jun 13, 2007 1:30 am

I'm only showing this cuz I'm not going to use this head. It just isn't right for the rest of the scene. It's too big for the body and the cigar is too small....... *sigh*.....
I promise, this'll be worth the wait!