Just a kid's holiday!? D=

Discussion of general Halloween topics
Ghoul of the Graves
Halloween Master
What is the highest number?: 10992

Re: Just a kid's holiday!? D=

Post by Ghoul of the Graves » Fri Sep 04, 2009 6:56 am

Halloween definately isn't only for kids. I'm 15 this year and I've only ever been ToTing like four times in my life, my parents don't like Halloween. They think it's an American holiday. They never used to let me go, but I want to go this year with my 10 year old brother and my dad's girlfriend's 12 year old daughters.

We had a lot of fun last year because Dad's girlfriend, who is in her mid 40's, loves Halloween. She even got my Dad to dress up for Halloween.

This year I hope we can all go again because last year was excellent fun. In my area we rarely decorate our houses but that doesn't mean we can't have Halloween fun.

I'm sure when I'm old and have kids I can help them love Halloween as much as I do :D
Please report all offensive posts to the Mods!

adrian
Halloween Master

Post by adrian » Fri Sep 04, 2009 6:58 am

Ghoul of the Graves wrote:Halloween definately isn't only for kids. I'm 15 this year and I've only ever been ToTing like four times in my life, my parents don't like Halloween. They think it's an American holiday. They never used to let me go, but I want to go this year with my 10 year old brother and my dad's girlfriend's 12 year old daughters.

We had a lot of fun last year because Dad's girlfriend, who is in her mid 40's, loves Halloween. She even got my Dad to dress up for Halloween.

This year I hope we can all go again because last year was excellent fun. In my area we rarely decorate our houses but that doesn't mean we can't have Halloween fun.

I'm sure when I'm old and have kids I can help them love Halloween as much as I do :D

thats good to hear :) yea its NOT just a children's holiday... to me its a family and friends thing :)
Last night 'twas witching Hallowe'en
Dearest; an apple russet- brown
I pared, and thrice above my crown
Whirled the long skin; they watched in keen;
I flung it far; they laughed and cried me shame
Dearest, there lay the letter of your name!

Pumpkin_Man
Halloween Master

Post by Pumpkin_Man » Fri Sep 04, 2009 12:40 pm

Like I said, a lot of adults spend a lot of money on Halloween.

Mike

Halloweennut08
Haunt Master
What is the highest number?: 9

Post by Halloweennut08 » Fri Sep 11, 2009 4:40 am

Yeah If memory serves me correct I believe Halloween is second to only Christmas in all the categories. Were catching up though. :)
HALLOWEEN 2011 THE COUNTDOWN BEGINS!!!!

Murfreesboro
Halloween Master

Post by Murfreesboro » Fri Sep 11, 2009 10:14 am

Hi! I'm new here, but I've browsed for a few days.

I'm in my mid-50s and I love Halloween. I have always said it is my second-favorite holiday, next to Christmas. My husband teases me and says it is really my favorite holiday, though.

I live near Nashville, TN, and I have several friends who are at least skittish about celebrating Halloween, and some who determinedly will not do it. There are area churches that offer "alternative" events, too. I have no problem with people's celebrating the season however they like, or leaving it alone, if they wish. But I do not want other people preaching at me that they think it is "evil" or Satanic or whatever.

What I have always loved best about Halloween, even in my childhood, is the masquerading in the dark, hitting the streets, seeing the flickering pumpkins, etc. For me, an indoor costume party is a weak substitute. There is just something magical to me about the streets in the dark. For that reason, I am irritated with those who wish to limit Trick-or-Treating to daylight hours. Halloween is no fun unless it's dark.

Every culture I know of has a masquerading holiday, and Halloween is ours. The fact that the impulse is so universal tells me that this activity is answering to some deep psychological need. I can't believe that God frowns on it.

I also love ghost stories and scary movies, although I prefer the eerie ones rather than the bloody ones. During October, I seek out various activities that are related to the season, like local ghost tours, community Halloween bashes, commercial haunted houses, corn mazes--you get the idea. There's plenty of that stuff around if you look for it. But Trick-or Treating on the night itself is the core event. My youngest child is 12 this year, and she has told me she doesn't wish to Trick-or-Treat this season. I am hoping she will change her mind. If she doesn't, I think I'm going to costume and walk the streets without her! I won't gather the candy, but I have to be part of the fun.

To my way of thinking, those who put down Halloween are being puritanical. Shakespeare has a good response to that type of person in Twelfth Night, when he has Sir Toby Belch say to the puritan Malvolio, "Dost think, because thou art virtuous, there shall be no more cakes and ale?"

DemonSlayerMau
Halloween Master

Post by DemonSlayerMau » Fri Sep 11, 2009 9:02 pm

Welcome aboard then! I'm glad you feel so strongly about Halloween. A night time stroll on that occasion does sound like fun. I know last year I walked to the store to get a pizza, and I could see people's pumpkins flickering along the streets. It was cool!
The only thing that bothered me was the shaving cream and stuff people had to throw around. Some people are just plain obnoxious.
This probably seems crazy, crazy, a graveyard theory,
A ghost tried to approach me and got leery.
Ask him a question and he vanished in a second...

~ From a Ghost's Pumpkin Soup (Pumpkin Hill zone theme Song from Sonic Adventure 2) ~

Halloweennut08
Haunt Master

Post by Halloweennut08 » Sat Sep 12, 2009 4:06 am

Welcome to the forum, even though I like to think of Halloween as a cool foggy night chill in the air the smell of the air, the crunching of the leaves. Watching loads of Halloween on TV, movies. I'm really not that into oh lets have a huge or small party costumes and all of that, I m 19 yrs old but I know its fun in other peoples houses but not mine. I prefer watching the live Ghost Hunters on TV live. I would like to go to scary theme parks but I think its better and funner to have a silent scary night with only tot's and eating candy. Now a lot of people would call that a dull thing to do but for me its perfect I guess everybody celebrates differently. Oh well its almost here!!!!!!!

adrian
Halloween Master

Post by adrian » Sat Sep 12, 2009 10:29 am

yes welcome to the forum :) you'll love it here! i'm so excited to hear from you and what you have in mind :)

PumpkinFunGirl
Zombie

Post by PumpkinFunGirl » Sat Sep 12, 2009 12:32 pm

Halloween is definatly a holiday that should be celibrated by everyone,....young and old alike....I will be dressing up in costumes and partying until im like.....90... :mrgreen:
.....Halloween is the best holiday ever was......

DemonSlayerMau
Halloween Master

Post by DemonSlayerMau » Sat Sep 12, 2009 11:45 pm

I don't think I've ever really been to a Halloween party, but I like the way you think Halloweennut. Not that I wouldn't knock a Halloween event or get together.
Perhaps the party could be on a different date, like the night before Halloween or the night after. Or perhaps you could go on a nightly halloween stroll, and then have it lead to a party.
I like a variety of things, so I think I'd to do both! But then again I'm not that social either, so a Halloween party would probably consist of close friends and family. Something simple.
When I used to go to my old college we had a thing where we painted pumpkins and stuff. It was fun!
This probably seems crazy, crazy, a graveyard theory,
A ghost tried to approach me and got leery.
Ask him a question and he vanished in a second...

~ From a Ghost's Pumpkin Soup (Pumpkin Hill zone theme Song from Sonic Adventure 2) ~

Halloweennut08
Haunt Master

Post by Halloweennut08 » Mon Sep 14, 2009 3:57 am

Thanks DemonSlayerMau Great minds think alike as they always say I think I might have said that a little bit harshly, I get along with a lot of people and love to hangout with friends family on holidays. 4th of July, Christmas, Thanksgiving, and any other major holiday. I just view in my opinion on Halloween night and eve just to stay at home Watch Scary Tv and Movies and watch Ghost Haunters Live investigation. Now if I was invited and the party was a week before I would defiantly go. I just don't like having Party's at my house to much prep for me I did it a lot for my B-day parties and soccer but I'm tired of pre- planning. I just view Halloween as a better holiday to spend in fewer numbers to enjoy the spookiness of Halloween. :) And thanks for the complement DemonSlayerMau. :)

Pumpkin_Man
Halloween Master

Post by Pumpkin_Man » Mon Sep 14, 2009 9:03 am

Welcome to the forum, Murpyeesborro, and well said. I just like to say "To each his own," but the Shakespere quote was pretty good.

I also agree that Trick or Treat is the core fun for Halloween, and it's also Halloween TRADITION. I don't go out in a costume, but to me, the fun of Trick or Treat is handing out the candy. Besides that, I live alone, and if I wasn't home, there would be nobody there to hand out candy. But all in all, I too, and tired of the antivcs of our police cheif, who thinks that TOT should be limited to daylight hours, or that preacher who left a pamphlet in my mailbox that states that I'm going to hell because I like to carve a face on a pumpkin, and put up spooky decorations and give candy to Trick or Treaters.

I think our police cheif and the good preacher both need to lighten up a little.

Mike

adrian
Halloween Master

Post by adrian » Mon Sep 14, 2009 9:11 am

Pumpkin_Man wrote: Welcome to the forum, Murpyeesborro, and well said. I just like to say "To each his own," but the Shakespere quote was pretty good.

I also agree that Trick or Treat is the core fun for Halloween, and it's also Halloween TRADITION. I don't go out in a costume, but to me, the fun of Trick or Treat is handing out the candy. Besides that, I live alone, and if I wasn't home, there would be nobody there to hand out candy. But all in all, I too, and tired of the antivcs of our police cheif, who thinks that TOT should be limited to daylight hours, or that preacher who left a pamphlet in my mailbox that states that I'm going to hell because I like to carve a face on a pumpkin, and put up spooky decorations and give candy to Trick or Treaters.

I think our police cheif and the good preacher both need to lighten up a little.

Mike

that preacher seems to be a false prophit and needs to be taught against his own ways.. in the bible it teaches against stumbling stones which he OBVIOUSLY has become. its sad really. its those kinda of religious nuts who give christians a bad name. no wonder the zeit gieit movement is getting so large now