A Christmas Carol

Books, poems, stories and other tales!

Postby Holly Cl'Oz on Thu Nov 08, 2007 10:57 pm

*smacks self on head* I should have known that. I've heard Walmart called that a few times. duh me.

Have Yourself a Merry Little Christm'oz
Holly Cl'Oz

Re: A Christmas Carol

Postby Holly Cl'Oz on Thu Nov 08, 2007 11:00 pm

MHooch wrote:That has got to be my all time favorite Christmas book/story. I never get tired of reading it.

Do you have a copy of this? It's by the same person that annotated The Wondeful Wizard of Oz which was fantastic. Very well researched and indepth. I have no reason to think less of the Christmas Carol annotation. I keep intending to get a copy for the Mr.

http://www.amazon.com/Annotated-Christm ... 705&sr=1-1

Have Yourself a Merry Little Christm'oz
Holly Cl'Oz

Postby Ol' Black Pete on Thu Nov 08, 2007 11:54 pm

OH HOLLY!!!!! THAT IS SO COOL!!!!!!!

uh-oh! Image was I supposed to read this?
Ol' Black Pete

Postby jerseygirl13 on Tue Dec 09, 2008 8:54 am

My favorite version by far is The Muppet Christmas Carol. Michael Caine as Scrooge = awesome.
I also love this old (1979, I think?) animated one called The Stingiest Man In Town with Walter Matthau as the voice of Scrooge. IDK if anyone else knows it, lol. Unfortunately, the VHS tape that has it went missing and I'm so annoyed.
And I can't forget Mickey's Christmas Carol.
jerseygirl13

Postby Father Christmas on Sat Dec 13, 2008 8:57 pm

Ever seen this version? I loved it as a kid! Don't listen to anyone who says it's a bad film!

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0112668/
Remember, Christmas isn't about gifts and lights.
Christmas is about the savior, who lights up the dark, on ALL nights.
Father Christmas

Location: I lived at the North Pole but Santa kicked me out for stealing the presents.

Postby Chris on Sun Dec 14, 2008 6:10 pm

My favorite is the 1938 version with Reginald Owen, Gene Lockhart, Kathleen Lockhart etc.

I think it is amazing because even in 1938 there were a lot of people who had first-hand recollections of Victorian England. Shoot, Gene and Kathleen Lockhart could have had personal memories of it as did Reginald Owen who was older than they were.

The 1951 version comes in second, but it isn't as faithful to the original story by changing ages around and adding characters. :-) (Of course the 1938 version leaves some of the parts of the story out too.)
Chris

Postby Chris on Thu Dec 25, 2008 7:33 am

I watched both the 1938 and the 1951 versions this year and the 1938 version definitely is the best in my opinion.

Merry Christmas!

Chris wrote:My favorite is the 1938 version with Reginald Owen, Gene Lockhart, Kathleen Lockhart etc.

I think it is amazing because even in 1938 there were a lot of people who had first-hand recollections of Victorian England. Shoot, Gene and Kathleen Lockhart could have had personal memories of it as did Reginald Owen who was older than they were.

The 1951 version comes in second, but it isn't as faithful to the original story by changing ages around and adding characters. :-) (Of course the 1938 version leaves some of the parts of the story out too.)
Chris

Postby RedRyder on Sun Aug 22, 2010 10:02 am

I read A Christmas Carol every year in December since 1987. I love the characters, story and message. As for the movies I don't believe I have ever seen one I did not like, but my favorite is 1999 version with Patrick Stewart.
Was there no end to this conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?- A Christmas Story
RedRyder

Postby Ryl22 on Tue Sep 21, 2010 9:40 pm

Hey there all! I'm new to this Christmas forum so I'm behind the times on this post! I hope that users are still on here even though there hasn't been some posts on certain topics for a while. I would like to put my vote in for the 1951 Alister Sim version of A Christmas Carol also! This is a great classic!
Ryl22

Postby Jina on Mon Sep 27, 2010 8:16 pm

Santa Baby wrote:My favorite version Christmas Carol is the musical with Albert finney The songs are just so catchy and everytime I see the opening sequence with Bob Cratchet shopping It just puts me in the Christmas mood

Me too! I love it. There are a few other ones but just cant think of them off the top of my head.
Jina

Postby Frothy on Tue Nov 02, 2010 11:09 am

I have a new favorite. I love the story of The Christmas Shoes. It's a very touching movie.
Frothy

Previous

Return to Christmas Literature