Trick or Treating? or Staying Home to Hand out Candy?

Discussion of general Halloween topics
ldiliberto
Zombie
What is the highest number?: 9

Trick or Treating? or Staying Home to Hand out Candy?

Post by ldiliberto » Thu Oct 09, 2008 12:03 pm

There is a dilemma we face every year. Whether to go treat or treating with our young son or to stay home and handout candy? We decorate the house every year and people assume you will be home to hand out candy if it is decorated.
So what do you do????
The Halloween Projector Guy
HALLOWEEN PROJECTORS
THE Source for high quality Holiday Projectors

Pumpkin_Man
Halloween Master

Re: Trick or Treating? or Staying Home to Hand out Candy?

Post by Pumpkin_Man » Thu Oct 09, 2008 12:11 pm

Well I use to really love going Trick or Treating, but I love handing out the candy just as much, and since I live alone, and since we have a time limit on how long TOT lasts, I stay home and hand out candy.

Besides, I like to see all the different costumes kids are wearing now a days. I don't see as many wearwolvs, vampires, witches, or other traditional Halloween monster type costmes any more, but it's still fun, and also a very colorful display.

Mike

Ghoul of the Graves
Halloween Master
What is the highest number?: 10992

Post by Ghoul of the Graves » Thu Oct 09, 2008 12:13 pm

When I am older I am sure I will enjoy handing out the treats as much as I enjoy recieving them. I used to do it before I was allowed to Trick or Treat and I loved every moment, sure I was jealous but I was making someone else a little happier by giving them that candy :)
Please report all offensive posts to the Mods!

Pumpkin_Man
Halloween Master

Post by Pumpkin_Man » Thu Oct 09, 2008 12:57 pm

I look at as being entertaining. I get to see all the different costumes people are wearing. Some of the kids that I know wear different costumes every year, some of them wear the sme thing every year. Others do variations on a theme. One year a mother and infant came to my door dressed as kangaroos. The mother had a pouch in the front of her costume, and the baby was in the pouch. I wish I had a camera.

Mike

jerseygirl13
Crypt Keeper

Post by jerseygirl13 » Thu Oct 09, 2008 6:16 pm

I'm gonna do a bit of both. I'm most likely giving out candy until my mom gets home, then she can take over while I'm out trick-or-treating. :D

kirala05
Vampire

Post by kirala05 » Thu Oct 09, 2008 8:22 pm

I Pass out candy every year. I think its fun to see the kids dressed up but, I refuse to give candy to the older kids who dont wear costumes. :twisted:
Do you wanna know why i use a knife? Guns are too quick.
You can't savor all the little emotions. And you see
in their last moments people show you who they really are.

why so serious?

HalloweenDot
Site Admin

Post by HalloweenDot » Fri Oct 10, 2008 12:30 pm

I usually end up going out with my kids, but they're going to be with my ex. So, this year, I am doing something special and will post pics of it.

When I was a child I'd go out with my mom, then later with my friends and then come back home and hand out candy. It was always a ton of fun!
Halloween.com since 1994 - Chris

Haunt Master

Post by Haunt Master » Fri Oct 10, 2008 4:00 pm

For me, I'd like to stay home and give out candies... I have to watch my own haunt yard displays. ;)

My girlfriend loves to go out with the children for TOTing! :D

Pumpkin_Man
Halloween Master

Post by Pumpkin_Man » Fri Oct 10, 2008 4:44 pm

I can't believe that anyone would go TOTing without wearing a costume, jersygirl. I've never had that heppen before, but I supposed I would have the same attitude. There IS a difference between TRADITIONAL Halloween Trick or Treat, and just using Halloween as an excuse to go door-to-door begging.

Mike

Rising Dead Man
Halloween Master

Post by Rising Dead Man » Fri Oct 10, 2008 6:26 pm

I will go out trick or treating and leave a bowl of candy on the porch. Then I will come home more early than usual so I can have time to hand out candy. Problem is i live in the country so most likely no one will come. But I hope someone will see the spooky Halloween lights and stop for some candy!!
Halloween wraps fear in innocence,
As though it were a slightly sour sweet.
Let terror, then, be turned into a treat...
~Nicholas Gordon

Fortune Bubble
Ghost

Post by Fortune Bubble » Fri Oct 10, 2008 9:31 pm

I love handing out candy, seeing the kids come and go with their different costumes. Last year some kids came without costumes and just had paper bags for their candy sacks, well, lets just say they aren't getting anything if they come around this year. I may get a trick played on me for that, but I ain't havin' it.

I also noticed that fewer kids came through last year than the year before, I hope that changes.

Frankenstein
Crypt Keeper

Post by Frankenstein » Sun Oct 12, 2008 1:16 pm

I always go TOTing, even though I will be missing the homecoming game at my school. My dad usually hands out candy.
Double, double, toil and trouble....

Pumpkin_Man
Halloween Master

Post by Pumpkin_Man » Wed Oct 15, 2008 11:40 am

Your school actualy planned a home-coming event on Halloween? I don't mean to cast dispersions, but I think that's a really dumb idea. I would NEVER attend any school related events on Halloween. When I was in high school, they did have a Halloween Costume Dance every year, but it was allways on an October weekend, but never on the actual Halloween.

Mike

HalloweenDot
Site Admin

Post by HalloweenDot » Wed Oct 15, 2008 11:45 am

That does seem kind of silly. I guess if it is early enough, it might be ok, but with all the rest of it, sounds like someone wasn't thinking well!
Pumpkin_Man wrote:Your school actualy planned a home-coming event on Halloween? I don't mean to cast dispersions, but I think that's a really dumb idea. I would NEVER attend any school related events on Halloween. When I was in high school, they did have a Halloween Costume Dance every year, but it was allways on an October weekend, but never on the actual Halloween.

Mike
Halloween.com since 1994 - Chris

Kyu
Vampire

Post by Kyu » Wed Oct 15, 2008 2:05 pm

I'm 15, and for the past two years I handed out candy.

I hated it, possibly due to jealousy because half the people were OLDER than I was.

If I manage to find a group, I'm allowed to go one last year. Then I'll probably end up handing out candy again.

Edit: On the topic of kids NOT wearing costumes.
I've had them by.
I ALMOST didn't give them candy, but those kids were the "welfare gangster kids". I didn't want to be stabbed the next morning.