Not really Halloween but...

Got a good recipe? Share it here!
Halloween the 13th
Zombie
What is the highest number?: 9

Not really Halloween but...

Post by Halloween the 13th » Tue Nov 07, 2006 6:42 pm

Southerners can definatly help me here.

I can make the best cornbread dressing there is. No bread, just stale cornbread, broth, celery, onions, giblets (that's the turkey neck, liver, heart and other goodies for all of you northerners, lol just kidding) and plenty of sage, poultry seasoning and other spices.

I have my first child on the way, so don't get me wrong. My mom's and her mom's and her mom's ect. ect. ect. dressing will be the mainstay forever.

But just wondering why Ground sausage has never been in my family's dressing. Has anyone here had success with it. Seems that it is pretty much a normal ingrediant in dressing in the south.

I'm thinking of trying it out this year, probably with sage flavored sausage.

Oh man, my mom would kill me if she read this!
The 13 days of Halloween was my idea!!! My idea I say!!!

Bafa
Crypt Keeper

Post by Bafa » Thu Nov 09, 2006 3:34 am

Your list of ingriedents has me wanting to drive to my parents house for Thanksgiving dinner! Anyway so far as the sausage I have never heard of it being used. I am from South Carolina. Post how it turns out.

Pennywise11
Halloween Master

Post by Pennywise11 » Thu Nov 09, 2006 9:26 am

Well I am not a Southerner but I use sausage in my dressing every year. My dressing consists of mashed potatoes, onion, spices (oniion powder, garlic powder, salt, pepper, just a little onion soup mix and lots of poultry seasoning). Sometimes I put celery or salted green onions in it if I have it in my fridge but I always buy one of those packs of pork sausage and fry it up loose then mash it in with my potato and other fixings then either stuff the turkey or make it seperate and at turkey drippings after the turkey is done to put a zap of turkey flavor in it. It is funny my husband and his family didn't even realize there was sausage in it but I like to mash is well more for the flavor of the meat. And on a separate note I don't even like sausage on any other occasion.... But all in all sausage adds alot of flavor and richness to a dressing. I totally recommend it.
1, 2, Freddy's Coming For You 3, 4, Better Lock Your Door 5, 6, Grab A Crucifix 7, 8, Better Stay Up Late 9, 10, Never Sleep Again

Halloween the 13th
Zombie

Post by Halloween the 13th » Fri Nov 10, 2006 7:59 am

You use no cornbread? Mashed potatoes only?

That's different... :?

Thanks for the recipe.

Pennywise11
Halloween Master

Post by Pennywise11 » Fri Nov 10, 2006 9:19 am

Yep just mashed potato. I have actually never cooked with cornbread before :oops: I know alot of people here make a bread dressing when they tear up sliced bread and make it but I have never tried... I stick to what works and what my guests like....
1, 2, Freddy's Coming For You 3, 4, Better Lock Your Door 5, 6, Grab A Crucifix 7, 8, Better Stay Up Late 9, 10, Never Sleep Again

Halloween the 13th
Zombie

Post by Halloween the 13th » Fri Nov 10, 2006 4:46 pm

Hey, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

I actually don't use sliced bread either, though alot of people do. Just day old cornbread.

My mother in law uses roughly half and half and it makes for a very doughy, clumpy dressing. I hate it. :lol:

You should try a small dish of traditional "southern" dressing. Let me know if you want it and I'll post my recipe, or you can use a combination of mine and other people's. Maybe even experiment and make a dish before hand, just to get an idea of what it tastes like. Very cheap to make, and you can buy a whole chicken and use the giblets that come in it. Basicly the same as turkey giblets.

LittleDollClaudia
Haunt Master

Post by LittleDollClaudia » Thu Nov 16, 2006 8:21 am

Gods, I am such a Californy girl. I use Mrs. Cubbison's boxed stuffing. Yeah, I know. If I thought that I could pull it off, I would try that recipe!
"I dress this way just to keep them at bay 'cause Halloween is every day."-Ministry