New House...New Ideas...

What do you like to decorate with? That bucket of blood?
SpookyBlackKat
Master Reaper
What is the highest number?: 10992

New House...New Ideas...

Post by SpookyBlackKat » Mon Jul 05, 2010 10:45 pm

If you remember, my husband and I were really bummed we could not decorate AT ALL last year because our apartment was always on call for showings. Well we closed on our first house and finally have our own place (and ToTs) to terrorize this year! YAAAAAY! Since we've never had a yard (or neighborhood) to decorate for, most of our celebrating has been indoors only. I have boxes and BOXES of indoor items and decorations but now that I have a front yard, I just can't leave it bare!

I've started a mini to-do list in my mind of projects that I'd like to add to my decor. For starters, I most definitely will have the boarded up window effect on the house. I'm curious what other decoration items or projects my fellow Halloween enthusiasts can suggest for a(n outdoor) first time decorator.
I've met The Great Pumpkin.

http://pumpkinbump.wordpress.com/

MacPhantom
Halloween Master

Re: New House...New Ideas...

Post by MacPhantom » Mon Jul 05, 2010 11:16 pm

Congrats on the house! You're gonna have an awesome time with it!

I'd recommend three essentials: PVC pipe (and elbow connectors), cheap black spraypaint, and about twenty yards of cheap black material. When it comes to making yard monsters, a pvc frame wrapped in fabric will stand you in good stead and only needs a mask or a pumpkin head to be complete, and black spray paint has a million uses for a billion different props!

I also like making tombstones out of pine boards; they don't look as good as foam, but they're cheaper, more durable, and quicker to make.

You're gonna have so much fun this year!! :o

witchy
Halloween Master
What is the highest number?: 9

Post by witchy » Tue Jul 06, 2010 12:23 pm

Congrats on your new home, you will have a wonderful time decorating it for Halloween & all the other holidays!! :wink:

the night pumpkin
Vampire

Post by the night pumpkin » Tue Jul 06, 2010 1:01 pm

i like outdoor lights and cheap halloween candy buckets filled with a little sand and a tea light, and tons of pumpkins!!!!

Spookymufu
Halloween Master

Post by Spookymufu » Tue Jul 06, 2010 1:52 pm

this was something I was planning on doing this year but sadly I wont be able to, would be cool to see you do them tho

http://halloween.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=6134
http://theyard.netii.net/
"You can catch more flies with honey than vinegar but if you pull their wings off they'll eat whatever you give them!"

SpookyBlackKat
Master Reaper

Post by SpookyBlackKat » Tue Jul 06, 2010 3:31 pm

Those fence lamps are wicked spooky! I bet they would look good hanging from some shepherd's hooks!

I toyed with the idea of a haunted pumpkin patch. I came across some photos of a nice yard haunt and the guy had a little pumpkin section that looked inspiring. If I keep this idea I will definitely need to make a couple pvc frames for the "pumpkin guardians." lol!
I've met The Great Pumpkin.

http://pumpkinbump.wordpress.com/

Andybev01
Halloween Master

Post by Andybev01 » Tue Jul 06, 2010 4:26 pm

Good luck with whatever you are able to scare up.

Hopefully you will inspire your neighbors to join in as well.
All you that doth my grave pass by,
As you are now so once was I,
As I am now so you must be,
Prepare for death & follow me.

SpookShowBaby
Haunt Master

Post by SpookShowBaby » Fri Sep 03, 2010 11:57 am

Congrats on your house! I too have a yard to decorate this year and I can hardly wait. I really love MacPhantom's idea for creepy yard monsters, I may have to use it myself. Tombstones are a must and Martha Stewart has a pretty good tombstone decoration instructions (http://www.marthastewart.com/how-to/tom ... ecorations). She also has a lot of great ideas that can be used indoor or outdoor. Good luck!
“Come let us meet, with charm and spell, by magic arts our fates to tell.”